Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So should I get a Griffin or KZ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
KZ?

I'm sticking with original Sig. It doesn't really bother me even with the eotech and I have a cheek riser on my stock that it just barely clears when folded. Straight or angled down would hit.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Had the new sig handle and traded it for a Griffin. Better built and design as far as I am concerned. KZ does not even come close to either.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...i would never install a downwards slopping charging handle on an assualt rifle for the reasons i have posted in the past...i actually would perfer a slightly upwards sloping charging handle...or one that at least extends stright out...

...my two cents...

ullie said:
...i would not recomend a downwards sloping charging handle on an assualt type rifle in duty use because it is more difficult to grasp and control...especially when clearing malfunctions...that is...when rolling the weapon and using your weak hand to go either over or under the rifle to manipulate it...likewise...when using you weak hand to pull the rifle into your shoulder while using your strong hand for immediate action...furthermore...whenever you need to charge the weapon...for whatever reason...there is a greater tendency for your hand to "ride down" the charging handle and losing control of it...especially when wearing gloves...and / or when you are in a wet enviorment... even when you may have "sweaty hands"...or when there are any oils or lubricant present on your hands or the charging handle...just to mention a few...

...any modification that reduces the efficient use and control of your weapon will put you in greater jeopardy when every fraction of a second counts...something to always keep in mind...

·
Registered
682 Posts
The Griffin was recommended by several members of this forum. I chose it and am completely satisfied with the product.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ullie, ptco911; thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Straight (New) Sig because I have the folding stock model. I do not want a charging handle that would not allow the gun to fire (if need be) with the stock folded. There may be a time when I would need to fire the rifle with the stock folded. Therefore, I vote for the new Sig charging handle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stryker,

If you have an Eotech and want to use a modified charging handle I would go with the Griffin. I have the Griffin and it works fine. But after reading what ullie had to say I will check out the new charging handle. My SIG came with one.

If you have the folding stock go with the straight one.

P.S. Are or were you in a Stryker Brigade Combat Team?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Geardo,
Yep, 3-2 Stryker Dude - started out at Lewis, 13E, did 5 years at Bragg 3-319 AFAR, Light Team Trainer, NTC as a 13C. Became a warrant and headed to Wainwright. Put up my jump wings and headed back to Lewis where I finished out my last 8 and some change. Been out little over a year and a half. 3 tours to Iraq. By the way, thanks for your service.
Thanks for the info on the charging handle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
RIGHT ON! I was in 1-25ID on Lewis from Jan 2001 to Aug 2006, then I join the WA Guard for 3. 2 tours in Iraq for me.

I was a 13B the whole time! KING OF BATTLE!!!

That's awesome! Were you in Iraq with 1-37? I got to FOB Endurance (Iraqi AFB) with 2-8FA in October 2004 if I remember right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two Artillery Soldiers on the same board?
It will never be the same.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Griffin made a small run of straight versions which I have one. I would say if you can get one of these it would answer to all the concerns about shooting when the stock is folded. I really do not need to worry since my stock folds to the left as they all should. Clears the trigger and all other functions.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Stryker_556 said:
Two Artillery Soldiers on the same board?
It will never be the same.....
Indeed!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Even without an optic in the way, the standard upswept sig handle just seems very uncomfortable to me, the griffin is much better, more comfortable, easier to grab and a better hold once you do. .

As ullie mentioned the griffin is slightly harder to grab when reaching over the rifle with your left hand, but I grab it with my right regardless, so thats not a big deal to me, who knows though it may be in the future.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well guys it has been awhile since I last posted.
Anyway thought I would give my 2 cents the Griffin Tactical handle is more expensive because it is a low volume part. Sig's handle is mass produced so they can offer a much lower price than I can compete with.

My handle was the original design to solve all the clearance issues with the original 556. It was never intended to work with the right side folding stock. I had made a limited run of straight handles and was looking into tooling up a forged version; however I had heard some rumors of Sig making a new handle and did not want to risk $15,000 in tooling.

I appreciate the support everyone on these forums has given me; besides without you guys there never would have been a Griffin tactical handle.

Prototype - http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... c&start=30

You guys made it possible - http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... c&start=30

I have been busy working on this with Losok
http://losokcustomarms.com/pages/valkyr.php

1 - 16 of 16 Posts