SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 552/553 style handguard for my 556 pistol. MFI doesn't make them any more but thought I would check and see if anyone had one laying around. Also heard a converted 550 handguard will work as well?

Pic of the style I am looking for.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. You have to cut them down very carefully to fit. The person who I worked with was named Rolf. He had to order in the endcap. Stuff is not cheap but it works. Just take your time. I slightly messed up one of the vent holes after ordering special drill bits off Amazon. Got this from a guy on AR15.com who did it back in 2015.
Handwriting Rectangle Font Parallel Writing

·
Read Only
563 Posts
A 552 HG cap won't work with an MFI or cut-down 550 HG on a P556. And that drawing is wrong. And MFI handguards are not great; if you use the gun in any serious way, they WILL break. FYI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Order a handguard from www.gunfactory.ch plus the handguard cap (both not cheap).
Carefully cut the handguard using the template. Remove the gas block and old handguard cap. Reinstall using the new cap and old gas block parts.

·
Read Only
563 Posts
Order a handguard from www.gunfactory.ch plus the handguard cap (both not cheap).
Carefully cut the handguard using the template. Remove the gas block and old handguard cap. Reinstall using the new cap and old gas block parts.
The above template is not accurate. I know this because I have tried to use it. Any handguard cap you get from gunfactory will not be correct for a cut-down 550 handguard on a US P556, as they are for Swiss 552/3 guns that use a slightly shorter handguard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The above template is not accurate. I know this because I have tried to use it. Any handguard cap you get from gunfactory will not be correct for a cut-down 550 handguard on a US P556, as they are for Swiss 552/3 guns that use a slightly shorter handguard.
You are correct about the commando handguard’s as Sig puts the gas block in a different position on that barrel. The USA factory one has the wrong shape and does not work with cut down 550 handguards - will not hold them. Cut the 550 Handguard’s slightly longer than needed and fine tune with a file.
Scariest part was drilling the holes. Has to be done in one pass. Will post a picture next week when back.
Works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are correct about the commando handguard’s as Sig puts the gas block in a different position on that barrel. The USA factory one has the wrong shape and does not work with cut down 550 handguards - will not hold them. Cut the 550 Handguard’s slightly longer than needed and fine tune with a file.
Scariest part was drilling the holes. Has to be done in one pass. Will post a picture next week when back.
Works.
I am interested in how this works out. I ordered a 550 handguard from Gun factory and am waiting to receive it. I also ordered one of JMac Customs handguard caps. I am also waiting to receive that too. I am hoping that will be all the parts that I need. I am looking for some advice on exactly what to use to drill the holes in the plastic handguards. I really want nice, clean, factory looking holes. I am thinking about using a step drill. I don't know.

Any pictures would be nice.

·
Read Only
563 Posts
I have heard of folks using a step drill with success. I have gotten my best results by having a gunsmith use his mill; in one side and then through the other in one pass. If you want a true factory appearance, that's likely the only way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did mine a few years ago. You need the handguard cap since the USA one is the wrong shape. Also have the 4 hole gas valve for quite shooting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is where I am so far, I got my handguards done. I am not sure if I am liking the lower rail. The dang thing cost so much that I feel compelled to use it. LOL

Does anyone know if Swiss mags will fit in a Sig 556R lower? I don't want to spend $100 plus just to do a fit check. IF you don't have a 556R, maybe someone with a Swiss magazine can fit check it in an AK47? Every gun guy has an AK, right?
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Aircraft Tool Metal Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am interested in how this works out. I ordered a 550 handguard from Gun factory and am waiting to receive it. I also ordered one of JMac Customs handguard caps. I am also waiting to receive that too. I am hoping that will be all the parts that I need. I am looking for some advice on exactly what to use to drill the holes in the plastic handguards. I really want nice, clean, factory looking holes. I am thinking about using a step drill. I don't know.

Any pictures would be nice.
Well done, that looks great! For future readers, is this a 550 handguard from Gun Factory and a JMac Customs handguard cap?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is where I am so far, I got my handguards done. I am not sure if I am liking the lower rail. The dang thing cost so much that I feel compelled to use it. LOL

Does anyone know if Swiss mags will fit in a Sig 556R lower? I don't want to spend $100 plus just to do a fit check. IF you don't have a 556R, maybe someone with a Swiss magazine can fit check it in an AK47? Every gun guy has an AK, right? View attachment 5433 View attachment 5434
Im curious if theres any restrictions on ordering the 550 handguards from gun factory since they are coming from overseas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trying to be "artsy". LOL Sorry,

Does anyone know any good place that I can get "Swiss" style picatinny side rails that don't cost $100 each? I am looking for the longer 9 slot.

Musical instrument Automotive design Auto part Machine Automotive tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well done, that looks great! For future readers, is this a 550 handguard from Gun Factory and a JMac Customs handguard cap?
Thank you.
Yes, exactly that. I ordered the Sig 550 handguard from Gun Factory and a JMac Customs handguard cap.

Around how much were they?
Ordering from Gun Factory is a little tricky due to you have to translate the web site from German. It was fun for me and I used Google Translate. You do have to be patient. They only ship on Thursdays and if you order on Monday or Tuesday, They probably won't ship the items that week. Or..., they might not ship the following week. But only on Thursdays. You get an email receipt as soon as you order but they do not charge your card until they ship the item. Communication is good. Shipping is slow. Your stuff will set in customs from 2 days to a week but there are no extra fees or surprises there. Everything that I have ever ordered from Gun Factory comes with a required signature through the mail. So you have to be home to sign or pick it up at the post office the next day.
The Sig 550 handguard was 100 Swiss Francs, 111.50 with shipping. The conversion changes with the world market but it cost me 132.00 USD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts