SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like so many I would like to replace my Classic stock with a Swiss made stock. But amazingly the stock is $325, which seems really expensive for a plastic accesory. Heck, Academy is selling the whole gun for $1,100.

Does Swiss Arms charge so much for these? Are they really that expensive to produce? Is this a "military grade" markup by Swiss? Is cogunsales marking up alot? Are there other vendors of these parts?

I'm not trying to bash cogunsales. In fact, I think it is awesome somone stocks all these accesories for Sig556. It just seems incredibly expensive.

Some examples of pricey Swiss accesories:

20 round magazine = $89.95
(most comparable magazines are around $15) Swiss 6x more than retail

Folding stock = $329
(magpul collapsable stock is $80) Swiss price 4x retail for comprable

Swiss Bi-pod $249
(similar bipods are around $40 at Cabelas, etc) Swiss price 6x

Swiss Bolt carrier = $274
Swiss Bolt head = $399
Swiss Cheek rest = $249 (this is a small piece of plastice that attaches to stock)

Thanks in advance for any info. I could understand if they were twice the price of others because imported, but 6x is huge difference. I want the swiss stock badly and may just have to pay $329. For someone earning $8/hour this would be about a week's work (or two weeks after taxes/healthcare). That's alot of time on your feet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Import fee's and vendor mark up is what the problem is. Cogunsales is pretty much the only place that specializes in actual Swiss parts. They're expensive, but the stuff is legit and Mike is a good dude.

I have a 550 stock set, 550 front sight, front night sight, and a Swiss diopter. So i feel the pain in my wallet. I have to put the rest of the project on hold until I get more cash to throw around.

·
Registered
186 Posts
55x swiss stock

these parts are difficult to import. all weapon parts must be imported on an
ATF form 6 which can be a pita.
shipping, import fees, ect. all cause the retail price to be crazy.
i bought my Swiss 550 stock from Canada. i paid $208 + shipping . total came to $230. here is the contact info. James does not always have these in stock, so shoot him an E-mail.
[email protected]
i have also seen these stocks on Gun Broker for around $200 to $250.
The difference in this stock and the one which came on my Classic Swat is like day is to night.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Swiss Arms rifle. I paid 3500.00 cdn for it. You guys can't get them but you can get Sig 556 which is 1500.00 bucks. Our countries have some stupid laws when it comes to bits and pieces for rifles.

There is a web site called https://www.gunfactory.ch/index.htm

Their prices are expensive also and its in Switzerland. But you can find some difficult to find bits and pieces and Rolf is very accomodating. Speaks english also.

·
Registered
169 Posts
COGS has a choice of colors and they are IN STOCK.

Genuine SIG parts are always going to command a premium.

Be a smart shopper, get the parts you can from other sources for cheaper but get the big ticket items you HAVE TO HAVE.

·
Registered
105 Posts
cogunsales

they are a great outfit, and are the only direct importers of sig arms parts in the usa. to buy direct from germany is too expensive, save money by buying with cogunsales.

I have bought from them and they are great! I will be buying some more items as I complete my gun build project.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see what you are saying about swiss parts commanding a premium, but $90 for a magazine is nuts. 6x isn't a "premium"
If they sold for 50% more, I would call that a premium. Which would be $24 magazine and $100 stock.

·
Registered
306 Posts
goo said:
Exactly, it is just a piece of plastic.
In fact, here is Chinese knock-off of Swiss style folder for $9.99

http://www.g-military.com/military/inde ... ts_id=2203

thats also for a toy... notice it says airsoft... you dont put toy parts on a real gun. I don't care what it is. I'm also sure that the swiss stock isn't going to turn brittle, crack, and eventually break as easily over time. Alot of research goes into making durable polymers for firearms that takes in account temperature/climate change as well as wear and tear. Knock-offs do not.

case in point my tokyo marui sig 552. same plastic stock as shown on that link is broken.

I have a real swiss stock. I worked hard to scrape the money together to pay for it. I'm very happy with it and would spend the money again in a heartbeat. if you don't want to spend alot watch gunbroker or on here sometimes people sell them for good prices.

·
Registered
174 Posts
lucky said:
you dont put toy parts on a real gun.
Maybe, maybe not. I got a claw style scope mount for my CETME from an airsoft company. It works as advertised for I think around $40. No complaints.

While I wouldn't necessarily trust an airgun critical component, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss all their parts, in particular furniture.

YMMV, yada yada

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it is airsoft and never considered buying, just showing that it is possible to build this stock for $9.99. In fact, I'm sure they built it for about $3 and rest is profit for manufactuerer and retailer. So my point is really how cheap something like this can be made.

I know, I know....Swiss uses better plastic, etc.
But $350 is enormous markup.

·
Registered
306 Posts
elnonio said:
lucky said:
you dont put toy parts on a real gun.
Maybe, maybe not. I got a claw style scope mount for my CETME from an airsoft company. It works as advertised for I think around $40. No complaints.

While I wouldn't necessarily trust an airgun critical component, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss all their parts, in particular furniture.

YMMV, yada yada
A scope is an accessory not a gun part :wink:

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK, I can not believe we are even talking about putting toy gun parts on a real functioning weapon! :shock: I whole hardily will disagree with anyone here that says different, I do not care about the price of the cheap ass part, it's crap. Your rifle is what it is. It is a Sig! If you don't want to buy nice guns and pay the price to have them, then buy something you can afford. It is a total liability risk and safety issue when you are talking about a critical main item. This is not a cheek riser and such, it is something that could go wrong at your worst moment in time.
You think parts are expensive for the Sig? Try buying Aug parts and you will be educated. At least though, I can buy all my parts for the Aug.
Those who choose to go on the cheap, I wish you the best and pray no one gets hurt in the long run.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
flascot007 said:
OK, I can not believe we are even talking about putting toy gun parts on a real functioning weapon! :shock:
That's because We are not.

We are talking about a piece of plastic costing $400, when the whole gun costs $900. It just seems funny to me that people are willing to believe this is that expensive because it is "imported"
Do you know how much stuff we import for China, that is cheap as dirt.

The chinese airgun stock was just an example of how incredible the markup is for a $400 piece of plastic.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Goo, I understand, but this is the price we pay when we buy foreign made guns/parts. It is Sig's fault for not allowing these parts to be produced to original spec's and of equal quality. They themselves have taken too many shortcuts and should have just made the rifle a copy of the original, or at least no more than the ability to accept NATO mags. You can not buy lower parts readily, you can buy upper parts, and thats about it. If other companies would pick up more on the aftermarket accessories, say like Magpul, Wolf springs and such, it would make the Original Swiss parts not such a big deal, and we would not be at the mercy of CGS. But all import parts are expensive. I have an extra bolt and carrier for the Sig, cost me around $350.00 for a US made unit. I have the same for my Steyr, cost nearly $980.00 for the import. Now that some of their parts are made here in the states, I have access to springs, barrels and other parts at a much more reasonable price thanks to Saber defense and other companies picking up on the Steyr.

What I have read is there are parts, like:

elnonio said:
lucky said:
you don't put toy parts on a real gun.

YMMV, yada yada
You just need to understand everyone reads this and yes I understand the cost issue, but if some newbie comes and reads all of this and sees others are putting toy gun parts on their rifle, it might be OK for ALL toy gun parts. Who's to say what will work and what will not.
'IT'S A TOY GUN PART!!!'. Don't use it!!! A scope mount is a critical component believe it or not.
I personally, own many rifles of higher class value, and honestly never thought I would be paying $1500- 3500 for a rifle of any quality. But, I wanted the best so I did the research to find the best bang for the buck that I was about to spend and POW, I pulled the trigger, I payed the piper to have it. Parts included... And never looked back. I even took into consideration the loss/profit I would take if I tried to sell them to optimize the venture.
No, I don't like spending almost as much on an optic, or crazy money on accessories, but I will not buy a Mercedes and turn around and put Pinto wheels on it just because it's cheaper.
My 2 cents worth, I just wanted to make it clear.
I understand your point, but we need to discourage anything foolish.
Nothing personal 8)

As for the China items made cheaper, It's simple as why American companies move whole companies to China, they can pay peanuts to make something for nothing. One day in the near future I see that all going to hell in the hand basket and that not being an option.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great point about other after-market manufacturers. I believe the Sig556 is growing in popularity and more after-market parts/accesories will soon be available.

Does anyone know how many 556's are sold each year? I assume it is growing.

To this point, I contacted a Ar-15 grip manufacturer recently about sig and they said they would making sig grips due to demand.

In an efficient market, a competitors should enter when margins are excessively high. If there are enough people willing to pay $350 for a swiss-style stock, I assume someone like magpul will make a swiss style stock. Which for $200, they would still be profitable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
How about a group buy from GunFactory?

I would like the SAN Diopter, GunFactory sells it for $470 and shipping. If we had enough interest maybe we could call him and see if he would give a volume purchcase discount. The shipping itself would be enough to make it worthwhile if enough folks needed stuff. I don't know if the bolt/carrier group would be a legal problem, but if there is interest we could find out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Flascot: please don't make the mistake of thinking that all parts made for airsoft are toy-quality only made for and by 10 year olds. Many (not all) airsoft are built with a view towards authenticity, and the build reflects that. That some airsoft are in fact toys not worthy of a 5 years old is also true; airsoft fanatics would also tell you those are toys, not airsoft guns...

Anyway, I have received a rear sight from Yankee Hill, the quality of which was actually less than the claw mount I refer to (a well designed aluminum mount). So far, my experience with airsoft accessories rates favorably compared to so called real gun parts manufacturers.
I see that you have succumbed to the forces of Marketing that so annoyed me in college, and seem to display a certain "you must pay high prices for quality". Plainly not so.
As evidenced by the equally high prices even the Swiss pay locally for 550 parts (I don't recall the name of the thread where I posted the Swiss prices quoted to me by Schildwaffen.ch), the prices are not high because of import costs, but because of Swiss Arms' control over their parts market and the lack of aftermarket alternatives. Monopolies drive prices up irrespective of quality.

To recycle your analogy: Do you always purchase OEM parts for you car? If the Pinto wheels are made of the right materials and are safe for their intended use, who says you have to buy only from Mercedes (except the Mercedes marketing folks of course?!) But even your analogy doesn't actually fit the point you were trying to make, since Pintos were actually cars, not toys... In essence, you just said that car manufacturers can make junk not suitable for a car. Same applies to the gun world.

Finally, while I could be wrong, I wouldn't in the least be surprised if Swiss Arms also has components like furniture built in places like China. The only reason I don't think it's China itself is the fact there aren't already clones floating on the internet for sale.

The short explanation has to do with what happens when a foreign business sets up a manufacturing plant in China: in essence, two end up springing up, the official one and the one designed to produce the clones. The same companies that produce firearms parts can just as easily (and likely do) use the knowledge to produce airsoft. Incidentally, the SIG diopter sight has now found its way to consumers under a different name (itac) and with AR15 riser adapters, and a lower price ($149 http://www.botachtactical.com/itdiresi.html). Surprise surprise...

The point? I won't summarily dismiss airsoft accessories without more than a conclusory "they are toy parts." Since neither of us has actually seen the stock described above, we are both technically speaking our opinions, though my opinion is informed by at least one data point based on experience (the claw mount).

Off to explore Bandung now!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts