SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the old stamped slide p226s are better, but why? I just read that they have a spring that eats into the frame and the slide isn't robust enough to handle the .40 and .357 sig rounds.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think us "old guys" like'm because they're lighter, point better and in the days before polymer guns it was the slickest thing out there. Ya gotta remember that before the P226 came out the S&W 39 and 59 was the main stay of the 9mm American market.

The new Sigs out there are great but, heavier and just don't have the same feel. If you have the opportunity to shoot a P228 and then shoot a P229 you'll see what I mean. Both are great guns :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Never really considered the weight factor, I think its about an oz different. My buddy had a stamped one, which is what I learned on a long time ago. I don't really recall feeling a difference. I did like the dot the i sights better than my trijicons though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been shooting my P226 for about 10 years and I am very comfortable and confident with the pistol.

For my money, Sigs are worth every cent

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's like anything else in life... People covet that which is not made any more. Like Vince, the Sham wow guy says, everyone knows the Germans make good stuff! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
silvertdi said:
I've been told the old stamped slide p226s are better, but why?
...for one thing...under German firearms law...firearms manufactured in Germany are sent to state controled proof houses before being released for distribution...as a quality control and safty measure...these German made pistols must pass a series of inspections and tests...including being proofed with a high pressure cartrage...this insures a certain level of quality in the production and assembly of the pistol and also in the grade of materials used...these proof houses are not associated with any of the manufacturers...but are independant enties...

...this ensures that the manufacturer maintains a certain level of overall quality in their product...making it difficult for them to cut corners in their production ramp so as to cut costs...as is so often done in the United States...especially lately...

...personally...if i were in the market for a 226...i would obtain one that was manufactured and assembled in Germany...and be willing to pay twice as much for it than anything produced here in the United States by Sig Sauer...and i'm dead serious here...but that's just me...and i'm not saying that the Exeter guns are junk...just that i would buy a German Sig Sauer...all my Sigs are German with the exception of my 1995 229 in 40...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Muzzle Flash said:
Never really considered the weight factor, I think its about an oz different. My buddy had a stamped one, which is what I learned on a long time ago. I don't really recall feeling a difference. I did like the dot the i sights better than my trijicons though.
...the weight factor and where that weight is placed is critical to how "naturally" the weapon points...my Sig 228 is about 3 ounces lighter than my 229...and the extra weight is all on top...in the slide of the 229...making the pistol top heavy and badly balanced IMO...and less naturally pointable as if it were an extension of your arm...

...when holding them side by side...it is very noticable...even more so when shooting them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts