SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting into some longer range shooting and I'm currently researching some .308 options.

If money were no object what would you choose?

First off I'm undecided if I want the standard AR semi-auto type or bolt-action. For the AR type I was leaning towards the LWRC Reaper or some other type piston design. For the bolt-action end I REALLY LIKE the bullpup design of Desert Tactical Arms setup. Check it out here: http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/ . It comes in various barrel lengths.

Also, I'm pretty much sold on Nightforce optics. With all their options how do I know which is right for me?[/list]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Money really isnt an object for you, or is that just wishful thinking?

If you got the bucks, Walther WA 2000, hands down without a doubt. Especially since you said you like the compact size of a bullpup.

In the real world, just get a decent 308 bolt gun and spend the money on optics.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buck Rogers said:

If you got the bucks, Walther WA 2000, hands down without a doubt. Especially since you said you like the compact size of a bullpup.

In the real world, just get a decent 308 bolt gun and spend the money on optics.
I know I said money was no object, but $40,000 to $75,000 is a little steep. Plus, there are only 15 know to exist in the United States.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aaron said:
Buck Rogers said:

I know I said money was no object, but $40,000 to $75,000 is a little steep. Plus, there are only 15 know to exist in the United States.
The wiki page is wrong, thats where you got those numbers right?

I did some research on this gun a while ago.

There are more like 50 in the US, 20 of which are owned by walther's ceo. The last one that sold sold for a PALTRY 20k. Save your pennies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been researching a decent 308 rifle but for me money is an object. If you have the money then I would look at a Knights Arms SR-25 (Civilian version of the M110 sniper rifle) but there are so many rifles that you can buy for half that price that offer almost the same accuracy. I am going with a DPMS Panther Classic 20" barrel and going to upgrade it from there. Since money does matter for me I'll spend roughly ~1000 on the rifle, ~500 on upgrades (trigger, stock, gas block, etc) and ~1700 on a scope (Nightforce 3.5-15X).

As far as scope choices I can only speak to what I've READ. I have not had the pleasure to look through a Nightforce scope but from reading (here and places like Sniperhide.com) I decided the following:

1) I must have an illuminated reticle
2) FFP is not really necessary for me.
3) Zero Stop turrets are not really necessary for me (work arounds)
4) Nightforce is expensive but worth it
5) Reticle choice is all about what you like but I went with the FC-2

If money is really no option then perhaps you should look at the .338 lapua bolt action rifles. If I had lots of $$ to spend on ammo that's the route I would go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input fellas. Although I think 338 Lapua is the perfect round, I'd like to stick to 308 due to the fact I can buy it anywhere.

I wasn't aware that NightForce made an illuminated reticle.

Anyone on here check out the Desert Tactical Arms bullpup design? I like how it can change calibers in under one minute and with a 22 inch barrel the overall length is 32 inches which is the same as an AR. Pretty freaking sweet. The price isn't so sweet.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sniper Rifle

If your serious about long range sniping IMO there are only 2 rifles to get. Either the TRG 22 or 42, or the AIAW in the caliber of your choice. I love my TFG 22 in 308.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Get a Remington 700. You can buy them for under $700 new and considerably less used. After that, you will have thousands you can spend on high quality optics, stocks, action/glass bedding, accurizing, etc. and probably have as much gun as the more expensive ones with the satisfaction of it being customized to you and your shooting.

Mine is off the rack (meaning the factory stock and no action upgrades) with a Nikon scope and Harris bipod and it shoots .5"-.75" groups at 100 yds. I have never shot it out past 175 yds; it may not blow a dime off a board at this range but it hits exactly where I aim. For sniping, IMHO, that is good enough. You can hit a man-sized object all day long wherever you want. I can not justify to myself the multiplying costs of getting something more expensive than this. This is for sniping or long range shooting outside of competition. If you do want to get into point-scoring type competitions then you might want to look at the more expensive options.

BTW, if I had the money, then I would get a JAE stock (http://www.jallenenterprises.com/) and turn my M1A into a sniper system. Just something else to think about.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Remington 700
It's really an easy choice. This has been a rock solid gun for decades and is still the primary sniper rifle for U.S military. The Remington 700 has actually been primary sniper rifle for U.S military since 1960 (named M24 & M40). If the military snipers have used this succesfully for 50 years, that speaks volumes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was in the exact same position you are in - about 6 months ago. 1st question is semi vs bolt. I looked into stuff like the REPR and other piston variants....It all comes down to what do you want out of this weapon. If you want large magazines for putting lead downrange go with a semiauto gun - just know you will never be as good/accurate as the best bolt-action guns. And thats not to say they are cheaper either - that 20" REPR costs 3K with the military discount. All the range reports put it as a 1MOA gun - which is great but not if you want to get a tack-shooter.

So I went with a bolt gun. My dad just got an AI AW tricked out with a S&B scope but that will run you 10K. Although he is putting groups downrange at 0.25MOA! (and this is the first bolt gun he has owned or fired). I agree with one of the comments on your thread - if you want a good precision bolt gun in 308, then the SAKO (Ullie likes the TRG) and AI have to be in the running. They are consistently the best shooters. I dont have experience with it but the FN USA spr rifles are also guaranteed to give you sub-0.5MOA so you might look into those.

I actually went with the Sig SSG 3000 - I found one online used for 2K in excellent shape and it is shooting 0.3MOA consistently. What I am trying to say is you dont always have to break the bank to get the accuracy you want.

I totally agree with you on the NF optics. After much debate I went with the NF NXS 5.5-22x56mm. I like high-powered optics but the other one you should consider is the 3.5-15 series. That gives you a wider angle on the short side for target acquisition. Either one will be awesome and I can vouch for the 5.5-22x as being top-notch.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
261 Posts
NavyDoc74656 said:
So I went with a bolt gun. My dad just got an AI AW tricked out with a S&B scope but that will run you 10K. Although he is putting groups downrange at 0.25MOA! (and this is the first bolt gun he has owned or fired).
The Accuracuy Intl is based on Remington 700 receiver.
I recommend spending $800 on nice Remingston 700, and save yourself $9,000 on the fancy adjustable stock, barrel, etc.
For example, the Seals use Mk .13 which is AI gun with Rem 700 base.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts