SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right or wrong I am going to buy a 556. Of course I didn't have the money when the rebate was going on! :roll:
If you had to do it again... plain jane, bottom ringer with 556 Iron sights
or the Classic with Rotary Diopter Rear Sight?

Thanks Chad

·
Registered
188 Posts
Go with the bottom of the line if you are planning on making it a fully functional SHTF rifle and use the money you save to buy real BUIS and optics. If you are just going to be using the rifle with irons and don't want to put any more money it it get the one with the rotary diopter. I went with the base ER model and put quality sights on mine for example.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, saving money on a base model is better then factory additions you don't want.

I don't have a problem with the irons on my ER, since they're BUIS, not a hammer or survival knife. Chuckling as I read cheney's comment, I don't think my BUIS is any less real, and it has fewer moving parts too :lol:.

The thing I don't like about my 522 is the folder stock, I don't 'need a folder', it's not a solid lock up, and it's held to the front stock by a polymer tab. If I did want a folder, I'd go with an ACE setup like others have.

And I don't think it's a 'right or wrong' to get a 556, just decide what you want on the rifle first, and how to best spend your money.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm glad someone is having a laugh at my nitpicky nature :D
I just went with a system that offers 300, 400, 500, 600m graduations because I like shooting irons when I don't have to at targets I really shouldn't be shooting at. :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
cheney said:
Go with the bottom of the line if you are planning on making it a fully functional SHTF rifle and use the money you save to buy real BUIS and optics. If you are just going to be using the rifle with irons and don't want to put any more money it it get the one with the rotary diopter. I went with the base ER model and put quality sights on mine for example.
+1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input fellas -
Sounds like the iron sights is the way to go.

Serial number range to stay away from?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would get one of the new ones if possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any range like over 38000?
Thanks
Chad

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Stryker_556 said:
... plain jane, bottom ringer with 556 Iron sights
or the Classic with Rotary Diopter Rear Sights?
..."plain jane, bottom ringer with 556 iron sights" is the way to go...especially if you plan to mount an optic...and buy it from a dealer that has a store front...so that you can examine her "carefully" before purchasing her...and this means you'll need to field strip her...if he doesn't allow this...walk away...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=3606

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ullie,
Again any serial numbers I should walk away from?
Yes, will buy local. Got'er picked out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts