Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy something completely different!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at pro's and con's of buying another gun.
On the menu is a STEYR AUG A3 w/Nato conversion for AR15 mags 16" barrel ready for the hush hush can. Or to SBR a Sig 556. I know the Sig is loud even with a can, and accuracy is effected. With the Aug, It still full length but smaller profile, My common practice is, as with all my weapons, are multiple spare parts. The Sig, I have an abundance of parts already, but the lower stuff is hard to come by at a reasonable price. I have some, but if I were to buy a P556, I would just add to the collection of spare parts. The Aug, I have to start anew. The mags are not an issue, the proprietary parts that are essential are abundant and the factory will sell all you can afford., Unlike Sig on the lower parts???? Still can't figure that out... :roll:
Anyway, looking for some of you pro's out there to share your thoughts and great wisdom. :D

The whole purpose is to keep it tight, light and accurate with a can attached. :wink:
If you have other suggestions please feel free to list them.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
I would stick with the SIG platform.

But I am not a fan of the Steyr AUG or its' clones, but that's just me personally. :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got a fair amount of trigger time with my buddy's AUG. His is one of the older models with the proprietary mags. It's a fun piece to shoot - compact, reliable and pretty accurate. The two things I don't like about it are awkward mag changes and the trigger, which tends to be gritty and mushy at the same time. On the plus side, with most of the weight in the rear of the rifle it points really well and transitioning to different targets is very quick.

Leb

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, for those saying get something completely different, It would be interesting to know what it is you recommend....

As for the mag change I see it as different, but not a real issue. The trigger has kits for it and I understand the new A3 Aug has a better trigger pack than the older ones. Again Not a real issue for the trade off you gain.

I would be curious as to Ullie's input.... Ullie you out there??? :?
Anyway thanks for the responses, hope to have more definitive reasons for,or against, like LebbenB gave out. Thanks much...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I voted SBR 556. My next big ticket item is an SBR'd Patrol rifle to make it a 552ish commando clone.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I have votes adding up and no suggestions as to what different platform is being recommended.
So I guess I will have to bundle them under the Aug A3 category since there are no other suggestions. :roll:

come on guy's!

I had such high hopes for the wisdom to flow on this forum... :(

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
flascot007 said:
On the menu is a STEYR AUG A3 w/Nato conversion for AR15 mags 16" barrel ready for the hush hush can. Or to SBR a Sig 556.
...all things being equal...the shorter the barrel...the greater the muzzle blast...ie...the greater the amplitude of the pressure wave created when you fire the weapon...so that even if you have the same "net" reduction in the amplitude of the pressure wave due to the attenuation of the energy levels by the suppressor...the weapon with the "shorter barrel" will be "significantly" louder than the one with the longer barrel when suppressed...or otherwise...

...not only will you be able to more efficiently attenuate the sound signature of the weapon with the longer barrel...but you will also maintain the terminal / external ballistics of the cartrage when using full power ammunition...that is...not subsonic ammunition...something that you will loose with the "short barreled rifle"...a Sig 556 or otherwise...

...the Steyr Aug A3 is a great gun...being a bullpup...it allows you to maintain the terminal / external ballistics of a carbine in a very short package...and will suppress far better than a "short barreled" Sig 556...the trigger may not be as smooth as the Sig's...but other than that...for your purposes...it will far outperform a short barreled Sig...or any "short barreled" weapon firing a cartrage intended for a rifle...

...if you decide on a bullpup...i would go with the Steyr Aug A3..and not with one of the clones...just saying...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ullie, I would definitely only get the newer A3 Aug, I have bounced this around for awhile and all that you outlined are the reasons I have considered the Aug over the Beloved Sig. I will never surrender my Swat that I made to my liking, It is one of the best rifles I have ever owned or shot. But the Aug as you stated has all the benefits of the Sig, minus the trigger, in a smaller more suppressible package, keeping it light to boot. I like the Aug also because you cant hang too much crap off from it. Optic, light, suppressor. Pretty much it. Thanks again...

·
Registered
256 Posts
ullie said:
...flascot007

...i don't know it you already have one...so...here's a linky to an owners manual for the Aug A3...something for you to read and mabey give you a headstart...

... http://stevespages.com/pdf/steyr_aug_a3_sa.pdf
Ullie, you happen to know where I can find a PDF of the SCAR's military manual? I've seen it in photos, so I know a PDF copy has to exist somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You always surprise me with your vast knowledge and experience Ullie. Thanks.
I am fortunate to have a friend who has an original NFA full auto which I have shot, as well as his semi-auto. I have read his manual and was able to play with the take down and such. I love the ease and ability to change barrels to different lengths, and take down is a cinch...
This rifle was on the buy list for me before Sig came out with theirs, I decided to wait for the Sig and I have no regrets. But I still need a unit as described. The Aug seems to be the only contender... No other suggestions to consider anyway!

I love Austrian and Swiss made stuff.... :D

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Longrifle said:
Ullie, you happen to know where I can find a PDF of the SCAR's military manual? I've seen it in photos, so I know a PDF copy has to exist somewhere. Thanks.
...Longrifle

...i'm afraid i don't...i would like to have a copy myself...i did a search and couldn't find anything...you'd think by now there would be a copy avaliable somewhere...sorry...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I could not pass up on a killer deal for a 3 month old A3 and trijicon ta31f Acog. $2000.00 was a steal of a deal. On Gunbroker no less.
I was totally surprised, as well as the owner, I won it at that price. I would feel bad but he set the reserve. Priced out it comes out to 2800.00 LEO price anywhere else, and 3400.00 retail. Had to share, and thanks Ullie for your great wisdom and advice.

:shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts