SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

What kind of features do you want to see on SigArms556?

8K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  rocketpig 
G
#1 ·
Well, if you read my previous post, you know that I'm the "new guy". :)

It turns out that updating this site will be more work than I expected. So, if that's the case, I may as well experiment with it a little because I'm going to have to tear it down and rebuild much of it. That means we can add a front-end to the site if that's what you guys would like to see.

So, any suggestions from anyone? What is this site missing that you'd like to see?

#2 ·
what i would like to see.

Well you ask. so here goes.
this is the most user friendly site i use. so i am happy with it just the way it is.
I work long hours and don't get to post often, however i do visit the site daily. if the changes make it difficult to use or takes a long time to learn how to navigate the up dated site. it will force me to stop my visits.
good luck in your new job.
thanks
Rick

#3 ·
bbeauchamp said:
So, any suggestions from anyone? What is this site missing that you'd like to see?
I can think of a few,

(*) PLEASE don't add flashing adverts.. I hate them and they are disconcerting.

1)I wish the search option could be updated and have advanced options that allow enhanced search/exclude within a forum, site, or string.
2) better organization at the sub topic level. This will also help in navigation. For example in Optics/sites/etc there maybe hundreds of the same question ACOG/EOTECH or what scope <$500should I buy for my 556, and etc. Nice to have it broken down one more level as long as we have an advanced seach option
3) Ratings for posters. Not sure if this can work here, but some forums show both # of posts next to the user name but also have "expert" ratings so that when they answer, they are recognized as very knowledgeable by newbies. You don't want to confuse the number of posts with the authors intelligence. I know this may be subjective, but I think its very apparent after you use the site for several weeks.

#4 ·
I would like to see a couple of new main areas for forum discussions. For example, I would like it if you could add a category for edged weapons, it would be cool to have a category for tactics and defensive strategies discussions, and it would be cool to have a category for emergency preparedness. One other category that would be cool is a place to post pictures of other interests -- cars, motorcycles, boats, RVs, ATVs, etc. We can default to the lounge, but it is way too scattered and random.... A lot of us are outdoors enthusiasts in addition to gun enthusiasts....

To me, these forums are a form of escape, so it is cool to see things that take your mind off the regular daily grind and other BS we all have to put up with, so it would be great to have those categories for those rainy days or when there is nothing on TV, to have some things to daydream about....

G
#5 ·
I was surprised to see there wasn't an "off-topic" section around here. It will just take a minute to add so I may as well do it now.

And don't worry about flashing ads... I hate them more than anyone. An ad should be noticeable but not distracting.

#6 ·
Howdy bbeauchamp,

I am pretty happy with the site. I also like most of Clyde's suggestions above.

One thing that would help me, and maybe we could have it set individually, is to see the thread as you're posting a reply. I'm getting old enough that I can't remember what I just said, much less what someone else just said... 'nuf said.

I agree with the 'off-topic' lounge idea. Maybe we could also herd all the political discussions into an area by itself. That might be better than forbidding it all together. It's never hard to find opinions, jokes and computer tech support q&a's if you're looking for them. I don't tend to like them when I'm on a different topic, if you know what I mean.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers~

#7 ·
email notifications with thread content/reply. Might not be about to do it in phbb but vbulletin will do it.

I like being able to see thread replies in my email...I often browse from my blackberry at work and this site is NOT BB friendly. If I can see the contents of the reply, I can decide whether or not to jump on and load it from the BB to respond.

#8 ·
I spend just about as much time on here as I do facebook, (yes I got one, and no you can't be my friend) I love this forum because of it simplicity and fast loading times. And also the great knowledge and kickass guns!

I would agree with Clyde and would like to see some off topic area's. like toys besides guns, maybe a place to post deals and sales of firearms and accessories if someone comes along one and wants to share it.

Maybe break down the non-ffl even further to sub catagories, sights, stocks, scopes, and type of gun/model, ER, SWAT, Classic parts.

TURN THAT SIG AROUND IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER!!! :shock:

Thanks for wondering
Geardo

#9 ·
I dont envy you, sleep isn't in a webmasters vocabulary :D lots of very good points for you to digest so far

No Flash..+1

One thing that you should evaluate and look into setting up server compression software, allow users to upload to your server. Broken photobucket images on forums seems to be the norm these days. Why have someone linking you if their going to remove a link after a period of inactivity? Help preserve the integrity of " this" site.

Utilize Google search capabilities as the boards search function. Forum software is very limited at best.

Keep the Speed of the site intact.stuff happens..Surely some ads will be showing up. Serve all ads from your server don't hyperlink ads/sponsors. Put adverts. on their own "refresh page" preserve the load times/escape for many current members.

#10 ·
unclefester said:
One thing that you should evaluate and look into setting up server compression software, allow users to upload to your server. Broken photobucket images on forums seems to be the norm these days. Why have someone linking you if their going to remove a link after a period of inactivity? Help preserve the integrity of " this" site.
as long as its not the ONLY way, that's a good idea. problem is that many of us frequent multiple forums and if one is forced to upload to each, well, no....not gonna bother. Other forums have gone this route for the same reason and frankly, there are other issues as well. Ownership belongs to whom? The author or the forum? Generally speaking, the forum has a user agreement that says all content posted belongs to the forum owner.

#11 ·
PGT Ownership would fall under "intellectual property" . How many posts have you seen where people cant figure out how to upload images to somewhere? To upload a local image is nothing, the bb software will pop your windows directory to upload from. At least the server will compress the image to a fast loading image not a ten meg image which kills a portion of your audience/traffic.

I dont have my servers anymore, a reason why I dont upload..Photo bucket or any of these other image places are just big email harvesters and unreliable..imho...As far as ownership goes their weapons or cool photos of some shape or form i dont see it as a inconvenience giving ownership to a forum if the images are live 100% of the time.

#12 ·
unclefester said:
Photo bucket or any of these other image places are just big email harvesters and unreliable..imho....
huh? I pay $25/yr for an upgraded account and have had ZERO issues in 5 years on photobucket.

as for IP, well, check the fineprint on content uploaded here on THIS site....that's what matters.

#13 ·
PGT..Not to be a dick or get off topic..Doesn't your email provider give you storage as part of your account? You know "share your photos with friends and family" for $9.95 more a month? better yet "free space" I wouldn't pay anyone $25 for a "sub directory" on a server to store images unless I had ftp or shell log in privileges or they gave me some substance to drown my thirst for knowledge in what interests me.or if I was "very" active on the web and it was cheaper for me to to pay someone to store my images, then to lease rack space.

No need for print checks a simple disclosure on the upload page is sufficient

How about a larger library of emoticons?

#14 ·
$10/mo is less than $25/yr? :?

I have FiOS for internet and wouldn't trust Verizon with my email for a second.

#18 ·
Someone mentioned an "off-topic" area. Isn't that what the lounge is for? Personally I like having my conspiracy/politics/zombies/humor/etc lumped into one area. I am sure that might not scale to the traffic size of a huge site but this is a relatively small community and it might not matter.

#19 ·
A "Quick reply" box at the bottom of threads so you don't have to click the "reply" button anytime you want to make a post would be nice.

Most forums I'm on use this.

Being able to upload an avatar image would be nice too.

#22 ·
I didn't read everyone's reply, so if mine is a duplicate then my apologies.

Can you upgrade the forum software to the current phpBB 3.0.7 please?

This old forum software is way outdated and not to mention a security risk.

#26 ·
honestly, I like the advanced search idea - with options such as by poster, date range, etc. but I don' t know if any version of this software supports that. The boards I mod use a different software.

The avatar idea if cool too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.