SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

What grain bullet are you guys running?

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

What Grain Bullet???

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  45acp 
#1 ·
I've been trying to track down why my Sig556 is not very accurate. I'm capable to a decent group but I can't seem to get this thing to shoot very consistantly. I think I've narrowed it down to bullet weight. I was shooting an AR with a 20" barrel with 1-12 twist so 55's were working great. Now with this 1-7 it seems to be a bit different. I just bought some 68's and am going to load those and see if that helps.

Thanks in advance

#6 ·
Okay I talked with one of the guys from Sig yesterday. They recommend 62 to 75 grain bullets for best performance on the 556. So this would explain my problem hopefully with my 55's.

During our conversation I relayed that purchased my new Sig with a small piece broken off in the hand guard which I didn't find until I took it apart to clean it. I was hoping they'd just send me a new hand guard but no they wanted to see the whole gun. So off it when back to Sig. I feel so empty now, lol.

He also said that running handloads through the Sig will void the warranty so be warned. I'm going to purchase some heavier grain bullets now to test the Sigs accuracy and once it's proven to be accurate I'll void the warranty later!

#10 ·
after a few outings to the outdoor range, i was kind of wondering what was wrong with my brain. at 100 yards, i was all over the place.

then i realized that i need to just save the 55gr stuff for the indoor, cqb drills. i tried some black hills 77gr, and it was back to 1 1/2" groups. big relief.

apparently, expensive guns have an expensive diet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.