SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

What brand ammo do you run in your SIG556?

• Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hornady

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Black Hills

• Federal

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Custom- Handloads

• Other- Mil. Surplus, etc.

Votes: 3 60.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on taking the 556P to the range this weekend for the first time and have been debating on what i should break her in with...

Just wondering what you guys have run in these, ammo-wise?

I know my Noveske AR will eat anything i put through it, but i heard that the SIG556 will also gobble up Wolf ammo (black box- 55gr .223).....anyone have any experience with it?

I am thinking if i run the wolf on the pistol, i may have to set it to setting 2?

I have other ammo to use (Blackhills and some Hornday) but i want my 556 to be able to eat whatever i feed it and want any feedback i can get! Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
263 Posts
For general target and practice usage, I use Federal XM193 in bulk M855 ball, or value packs, Remington UMC 55 grain, and Winchester 3131, FMJ. Majority is Federal XM193, by far, so I voted for it.

For sighting in and general "fun with the guns" I shoot Federal American Eagle XM856 tactical tracers -- really lets you see bullet drop and drift -- pretty cool, too! I think these are 64 grain.

For competition and shooting for keeps ($$), I use Federal Gold Medal Premium with Sierra Matchkings BTHP, Hornady Match and sometimes Hornady TAP FPD, and Black Hills Match, grains vary - depending on conditions. All of these work fantastic and shoot true consistently.

For personal defense, Remington UMC 45 grain jacketed hollow points and Hornday TAP FPD red polymer tipped.

I never use Wolf, but in an emergency if I had to, I suppose I would...but only if no other choice existed.

My SIG 556s run everything I have ever fed them out of the above choices, all without fail...just as it should be.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My own handloads

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
556OPER8R said:
I am thinking if i run the wolf on the pistol, i may have to set it to setting 2?
...you should never run your 556 in the adverse setting...especially the pistol...the number 2 setting is there to keep your weapon running in an "emergency" only...if your 556 won't cycle...determine why !...if it's low powered ammo...don't shoot it...

...any good quality generic SAAMI spec ammunition will do just fine...i suggest American Eagle or Black Hills...PMC...if made in Korea...Winchester Q3131 etc...i don't recomend surplus ammunition or Wolf...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Clyde said:
For personal defense, Remington UMC 45 grain jacketed hollow points and Hornday TAP FPD red polymer tipped.
...i wouldn't use varmit rounds for personal defense...the Rem UMC 45 grain JHP are not only underpowered IMO...but won't give you enough penetration to "always" be effective...

...although "some" of the Hornady TAP are effective...i perfer...and would recomend...using Federal XM 193 ball or Winchester Q3131...

...Winchester 64 grain "power points" are very effective at short and longer ranges...but may overpenetrate for urban use...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know what to use for SD/HD, but i thought the Wolf should be able to be gobbled up by my Sig since its soooooo reliable and all... :shock:

i have some M855 and some Hornady TAP LE 5.56 75gr stuff but i am not blowing through that to a trip to the range....ill probably end up shooting some of the black hills and other stuff up i have first.....i do want to test the sig with some wolf just to see if it will eat it....from what ive read on here and other forums, the sig should have absolutely no problems eating wolf all day....numberous reports of folks doing so!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...your Sig should fire Wolf just fine...although you "may"
have more malfunctions...especially when she gets really dirty...

...personally...i would not recomend Wolf or similar ammunition for use in "any" gun...including AKs...but that's just me...i perfer to use good quality brass cased ammunition...

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got 500 rounds of Wolf through my new Sig Classic with 0 issues. Part of the reason I bought the Sig was the idea that it would work with any ammo, whereas AR-15 and AK's might be more picky. So far I have been very happy and even shot some game at 100+ yards with Wolf.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have used a couple different types of ammo. All 55gr though. I have put well over 1500 rounds of PMC 55gr FMJ and not once had any problem. Nice price too $330 ish for 1000.

I have also put 400 of the black box with the eagle on it, and had some problems with that. And a mag of Wolf but just on mag with no problems.

Geardo

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been getting Federal bulk pack from Wally-World lately. $40 for 100rds...hard to beat. I've left all my 69gr on the shelf for outdoors. Overkill for the 50yd indoor range.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Reloads with heavy 75-77 grain Hornady, Prvi, Sierra, and Nosler OTMs only... 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts