SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

wanting to teach firearms courses?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  nycstripes 
#1 ·
What is the correct method of going about this? Do I need a special certification? Is what I have learned in the military enough?

Im just wanting to teach the basics to some gun illiterate people. nothing tactical. wanted to make sure I dont end up in some hot water over a license or permit I forget to get before I start posting adds in my local area.

thanks guys.

#2 ·
Normally to teach say a CCW class you have to be licensed by your state to teach it. If you are charging for your services you need to be licensed and insured.
You can take NRA instructor courses they dont cost much and are not difficult.
If you are teaching a group of friends, neighbors and so on you would not have to be licensed however you could be held responsible for whatever you teach them should they use it in the wrong manner. Just CYA with them have them sign waivers or whatever you think it takes to keep you safe.

#3 ·
Lucky,

Go with your strengths and your passion and build from there. Dream big whether you want to do this part time or grow it into a full blown business.

Customers want to get advice from an expert. Your military background is an excellent starting point. Now you just have to add some certification so that your customer can feel confident that what they learn can benefit them if they decide to get further training. For example, if you provide NRA basic pistol shooting, that will serve them if they decide to go the next step to obtain a CCW permit. It also will distinguish you from the next military guy that's just freelancing professional experience.

Here is a link to become NRA Instructor certified:

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/instructor.asp

#4 ·
Lucky, from what I read it depends on what you want to do. One place touched vaguely on needing insurance. But I think it's a great idea! You teach firearm basics and ummm I'll teach advanced asshat driving. And you can volunteer your wrx :lol: .

#5 ·
scooby&thesig said:
Lucky, from what I read it depends on what you want to do. One place touched vaguely on needing insurance. But I think it's a great idea! You teach firearm basics and ummm I'll teach advanced asshat driving. And you can volunteer your wrx :lol: .
lol that last line is never gonna happen. But yeah all to often I find myself around some of my friends who are either retarded around guns or nervous around them. or some look at them and have no idea what to do first. the first two can lead to deadly mistakes if they do not know how to handle the situation.

Im not trying to teach a ccw or tactical class just firearms basics to people who are interested in owning a firearm or are new to firearms.

ex: functionality, cleaning, aiming. I live in the right part of FL this could be a thriving business. Could be done in ones home (with dummy ammo of course) or once they get comfartable we could go out to the range and practice with live ammo.

#6 ·
That is all very true, I think all gun owners have seen irresponsible/no common sense people pick up a gun. If you make house calls, it can be quite lucrative. No one likes to be embarrassed, and I firmly believe that a large group of people would rather stay uneducated if it meant they dodged the risk of making a mistake in front of a group of people. But that in itself could be risky. Maybe giving potential clients the opportunity to put together their own group would work. Kinda like the way females put together sex parties (or tupperware :roll:). Yeah, my cousins ex threw a few, it's not what you think but still awesome to walk into :lol:.

#7 ·
I think what you meant were toy parties but should a sex party be formed please let me know. The idea might work but make sure you protect yourself from liability in case someone does something really stupid.

#8 ·
Get NRA certified, and teach the NRA course.

Their lawyers have been through the material and bless it, so if there is ever an accident based on the training, you have the full weight of NRA supporting that you taught them safely.

If you teach your own agenda and there is an accident, you will have a very expensive legal process to defend your actions.

Also, in terms of marketing, being an NRA instructor gives you credibility with new clients.

Finally, if you are teaching the NRA course, I think they also sell insurance for instructors a lot cheaper than if you had to find a small insurance company yourself, and try to convince them that you know whereof you speak.

Art

#9 ·
so its not so much needing a license just making sure my clientel dont come back and bite me in the arse... :wink:

#10 ·
Welcome to the world of lawsuits!

I used to be a PADI certified SCUBA diving instructor,and it was the same thing, in spades. If you teach the PADI course, they bear responsability for content, I can only be sued for teaching it badly. If I teach my agenda, I have to defend the content as well.

This is especially true at the basic level, where you are dealing with people who know nothing. If you teach advanced courses to people who already have a solid foundation in safety, this is another matter, though it is still a higher risk that you must carry.

Art

#11 ·
It all is going to come down to what you are planning to teach. CCW classes have different requirments for different states and course materials must be covered. My understanding is that you are wanting to teach generic firearms handling which to my knowledge there is not a course or certification for that.
Just make sure you can back up what you teach and can handle any liability that comes about.

#12 ·
tacman605 said:
I think what you meant were toy parties but should a sex party be formed please let me know.
:lol: is that what it is called? Whatever it is, it's when a bunch o girls get together and show off/demonstrate/sell "toys" and outfits and trade skills etc. She also said things got out of hand only a couple of times when someone got frisky with a toy and that spread around the room etc. It's stories like that that make me wish I was a pizza delivery guy (and obviously they ordered pizza) :lol:. Anyways thanks for the correction and sorry Lucky for the interruption!!

#13 ·
7art said:
Get NRA certified, and teach the NRA course.

Their lawyers have been through the material and bless it, so if there is ever an accident based on the training, you have the full weight of NRA supporting that you taught them safely.

If you teach your own agenda and there is an accident, you will have a very expensive legal process to defend your actions.

Also, in terms of marketing, being an NRA instructor gives you credibility with new clients.

Finally, if you are teaching the NRA course, I think they also sell insurance for instructors a lot cheaper than if you had to find a small insurance company yourself, and try to convince them that you know whereof you speak.

Art
+1. Well stated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.