SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
45 forever said:
Anyone got an opinion on this scope compared to a Leopold AR series.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-PST ... 44570.aspx
...i'm not familiar with this scope...i believe it is made in the Philippines for Vortex Optics...i would personally go with the Leupold AR myself if i had to choose between the two...with a Leupold you know what you're getting...

...as far as low power variable tactical scopes go...the Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm is the standard to which i compare all the others...it's more expensive...but it is a true field grade scope that you can rely on...both optically and mechanically...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4- ... 45043.aspx

...a less expensive option would be the Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm with the illuminated duplex...which is essentually the same scopes without the added features...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-30 ... 12636.aspx

...or the German illuminated post and dot...which will give you slightly more rapid target acquisition when shooting with both eyes open...or the circle and dot reticle...which would be the fastest reticle...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-30 ... 45018.aspx

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-30 ... 45019.aspx

...the Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm is a great value...again ...it's essentually the same as the above but an older model...and for an illunimated low power variable would be very hard to beat for the price...

... http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-III- ... 46066.aspx

...there are a few others out there...the problem is though...if you want a field grade low powered variable scope with an illuminated reticle...it won't be cheap...if you can pass on the illuminated reticle...you'll have more options...however...nothing beats an illuminated reticle under poor lighting condidtions...or when rapid target aquisition is important to you...

...the other side of the coin is that if you're looking for a riflescope to use occasionally under less than adverse conditions...or for just shooting at the range...the Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical riflescope is a fantastic value at ~ $200...and just as good as smoe scopes costing over twice as much...

... http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tact ... P9251.aspx

·
Registered
108 Posts
OH COME ON ULLIE!!! This thread was just about to get interesting and with one wave across your "Moderator Keyboard" you wiped it all out! And before I got a chance to drop my verbal thunder! :twisted: Unfair I say...Unfair! :wink:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ullie your professionalism and knowledge prove vary helpful
Yours is the answer I was looking for.

To the rest of you 100 and some egomaniacs find a side line of work :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've been talking with Brian at Vortex about this scope. It is supposed to be built like at tank, great reticle, supposed great glass, and the best is their warranty. They are the only company that I know of that will let me have a elephant that has one half tusk, with a baby polar bear chewing on it's tail step on my scope and they would replace it. I was also told by someone at Vortex and someone that went to the shot show, that the glass is better than the leupold mrt but slightly below the IOR glass. That's a bold statement. Myself, am torn between the viper and the trijicon tr24g. Hopefully when the money is there, I will have made a decision. If anyone wants, I can post some reticle pics of the Vortex viper. Oh, and also look at the sample list, you can usually find great deals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been looking at that Vortex scope as well. The pluses for me are the size, weight, true 1x, warranty, and reticle. The minuses are that it's a Vortex (never heard of them before) and it's not available until May, so I can't review in the store and doubt anyone locally will carry this line anyway. I also heard that the entire first run is sold-out to back orders, so you may not see it until mid-summer.

I looked at the Millett and have some issues with that scope. It's big, heavy, so-so clarity and has an odd fish eye problem at 1x. The pluses are the reticle and the price. Also, if you don't care about size, weight and money, look at the Meopta 1-4x K-dot. It's extremely tough, bright and clear, with a great reticle, but weighs a ton.

I reviewed the Leupold VX-3 that Ullie mentions. Sweet scope! But again, good and bad. The good is the clarity, field-grade construction, reticles, warranty (can't beat Leupold), size and weight. The bad is the 1.5x (not true 1x) and it's not at all tactical looking. I can't find the more tactical Mark 4 version anywhere to review. I also read a post from a soldier in Iraq that said everyone there uses the VX-3 because the target knobs on the Mark 4 sick out too much to bang around. I wouldn't have that issue, but interesting.

At this point, my money is going to a Trijicon TR243 or TR243G. This scope is tough, small, light, true 1x, clear, bright and fast. The German reticle also seems best (over the chevron) for distance shooting. I looked at both and the chevron was odd to me, but should be faster than the German. My only concern is the tritium/fiber system in very low light. I tested by moving my hand over the fiber optic window in the store and it seemed that you had to completely cover to lose the dot, but that's hardly scientific.

Best,
=Mark=

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Leupold P/N 66625 scope mounted on a LaRue Tactical SPR- 1.5 mount installed on my Classic. It's Leupolds VX-3, (new design) 1.5-5 x 20 with a 30mm tube with the Illuminated Duplex. It didn't come with flip-up lens covers as are supplied with the Mark 4. It has screw-on adjustment dust caps that are unlike the Mark 4's exposed turrets however you can leave the adjustments covers off while sighting it in and make finger adjustments as needed. No coin, screw driver, etc. are needed, just your fingers. It has an extremely bright, clear and clean sight picture and works very well in low light. I shot well into the late evening a few weeks ago without any problem. I'm very impressed with this scope as I'm sure others would be as well. It's not the least expensive scope out there but well worth what I paid for it, (bought it new on E-Bay)

Sigmun

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in your same boat just 1 month ago, I was going to pick up a Burris Fullfield II but the guy behind the counter talked me into looking at a Vortex Diamondback ($185 cheaper mind you) I took both of them outside, looked through both and can honestly tell you, from what my eye was telling me, the Diamondback was just as bright, had better clarity and a MUCH better eye relief on magnification, the Diamondback was just a great optic, so good that I grabbed 2 of them for a little over the cost of 1 Fullfield II.
I went out last weekend with my 522 and new 4-12x40mm BDC reticule Diamondback and tagged me alot of bunnies and squirrels.
And besides that, their warranty is unreal, I think I will be a Vortex fan for a very long time to come.

Just my .02c

·
Registered
100 Posts
In doing some research I found that Vortex scopes are designed in USA (Wisconsin) and the scopes are made in other countries by product line. Crossfire=China, Diamondback=Philippines, Viper=Japan. Some of these factories do work for other large Optic companies. The scopes produced are differentiated by design, coating, and other features submitted.

Vortex provides an unconditional lifetime guarantee on all 3 lines. All of the reviews I have come across have been excellent and various review "experts" agree that these scopes may offer best quality for the money.

I do NOT own one of these scopes... only did a lot of reading on various review web-sights and forums.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts