SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for a RDS to put on my classic. I had a zoom dot that actually cowitnessed perfectly with the factory diopter sights. I just did not care for the auto adjust brightness on the zoom dot so I took it off. I then tried a Konus micro RDS. The konus seemed the same as the sig micro and other aimpoint knock offs. The micro seemed to sit a little low and not cowitness properly. I just picked up a sparc that has three mounting options. The base is removable and the low mount that is just the base seems to be the same height as the sig micro RDS. The set up I'm using puts an approximate 1/8 inch spacer between the sight and the mount. It seems to absolute cowitness perfectly with the factory diopter sights. Here is a couple of pictures of the sparc mounted and the spacer I'm using to get a good cowitness. Hopefully I'll see how it does at the range on Sunday. David

·
Registered
112 Posts
that looks very interesting. I'd love to see how that runs at the range. I had one of the Strikefires from Vortex but I offloaded it when I switched to Iron Sights shooting for a while.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been on the iron kick for the past 6 months and honestly I really like the iron sights for daylight shooting on the range. I am just trying this out on the 556 because it is small and won't add really any weight. I may just put the sparc on an AR and stick with the irons on the 556.

I can't seem to get to the range try it out though. I went by the range and it was closed because they are removing the lead from the berm. David

·
Registered
112 Posts
That sucks man. I know what it likes to lose the time/chance to get out. But seriously post up your review here after you get it out there! Love to know how it runs.

I had a strikefire for about a year and loved the brightness of the dot. I live in Arizona and most non mil grade red dots wash out in the sun. Not the strikefire. Of course mine had battery compartment connection issues under recoil so I had it replaced and sold it off but the company says they've fixed the issues and took care of me. Nothing bad to say about the company. So if the sparc doesn't have battery issues, and the red dot is easily visible in daylight I may pick one up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I finally made it out to the range for a good work out. 360 rounds in the steady rain. I had the dot blink out on me 4 times in the first 100 rounds. I tightened the battery cover until I was not comfortable and it still blinked once. I then noticed the o ring had buldged out of the battery cap and was not probably not getting tight enough. I took the o ring off and retightened the battery cover and had no more problems. I think I will try a thinner o ring and see how that works. I got the sight used so I don't know if the o ring is the factory one or not. The o ring seems a little thick for what it does.

The lowest setting on the sparc seems to work great in the over cast. The rain on the lens was really starting to mess with me after a while. No pictures of my awful groups since the rain was tearing up the targets. For the last 200 rounds I just got a few water bottles out of the trash and started trying to shoot the caps off.

So far I like the size of the sight and the 2 moa dot. Also the factory mount lines up well with the sig diopter sights. The base could be a millimeter thicker and probably line up a little better. The only concern I have is the rubber covering the left side of the sight. Most of the left side is rubber just like the power buttons on a Eotech and I am curious how long that covering will stay in place.

Here are some rain pics between down pours. David

·
Registered
112 Posts
Fantastic! I see a SPARC in my future...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts