SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Best Vertical Foregrip Placement-

• FRONT

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • MIDDLE

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • REAR

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Vertical Foregrips are for Sissies! ! !

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK SIG fans. I am about to mount my STL-300J (Vertical Foregrip, Light & Laser combo) on to my modified classic foregrip. The thing that gets me, is for the life of me, I can't decide which placement is better- REAR, MIDDLE or FRONT?

I would love to hear some opinions with explainations if yall would be so kind as to indulge me.

Thanks ahead of time, folks!

Hammer

:?: :!: :D :!: :?:

·
Registered
363 Posts
I usually run a VFG nearer to the muzzle than the mag well. That gives me better muzzle control and quicker transitions onto other targets.

Leb

·
Registered
112 Posts
agreed, put it further out. I like mine literally as far to the front as I can get. This really helps to control muzzle sway. I take no credit for coming up with that on my own, a couple carbine classes I've taken the instructors showed it.

Likewise I know its the technique that Magpul teaches.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like mine toward the rear. Everyone's a little different. Best suggestion... try it in several different positions to determine which works best for you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
1)Towards the front would give you better muzzle control and quicker reaction/transition. This is for targets that shoots back!

2)Towards the rear gives you better stability firing while standing (gripping the magwell gives me the best balance while standing). This is for well-behaved targets that stand still!

3)Somewhere in the middle would probably give you a happy balance between the two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Excellent, folks! Right now I got my 556 all stripped down for a cleaning. So I'm playing around with the VFG placement. What I finally came up with seems to agree with the majority of the votes. Forward. What made my situation a little unique (I'm guessing, here!) is that my 556 is the classic folder style (2008). I had to get the new handguard (The one with the holes for the accessories rails) from Sig. Thing is you have three different attachment spots on the bottom for the rail. I originally had it in the middle with my STL-300J mounted underneath. Problem was, I couldn't get a good grip in the fron of the rail, or the rear. Obviously this presented issues with versatily. So to make a long story short (TOO LATE!) what I finally came up with was a front placement. This was so I could have a full grip on the rear of the handguard along with a VFG in the front. Best of both worlds if ya askin me, brotha!

Whadaya folks think about my logic?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have my vertical grip (TangoDown) mounted toward the rear because I like to keep my elbows tucked in, close to my body and because I use the grip in conjunction with an offset light mount. That and because I'm not the tallest guy in the world!

·
Registered
17 Posts
tvchance said:
I have my vertical grip (TangoDown) mounted toward the rear because I like to keep my elbows tucked in, close to my body and because I use the grip in conjunction with an offset light mount. That and because I'm not the tallest guy in the world!
Ya know TVChance, that brings up anothetr great point. The whole idead behind the VFG is mechanical advantage- getting more stability behind the firearm for a more accurate shot and more control over the weapon. So in that case- you must absolutely take into acount the person's (or your own) body type and size. In my case, I'm 250 lbs, 6ft and barel chested-LINEBACKER BOY!. So I think I will be going out to the far end of the barrel.

Right on TVChance! :D :idea: :D :idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
nih,

Oh Lawd! ! ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

That will deffinetely take care of any questions of where best to place a VFG! So, can you use that bi-pod as a grip when it's colasped or folded? And doesn't that add some hefty weight to an already heavy carbine? I would love a breakdown of what all you have modified and added to your 556. Either way-that is one fine lookin weapon you got there, brotha!

Oh- And is that specific model the one with the turbocharded 40mm grenade launcher? JK! :wink:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I like my grip-pod set forward. The CQC aspects are still great as far as control, and the bipod function is better with the pod set to the front.

·
Registered
111 Posts
standing long range the afg im most steady with, moving or multiple targets i like the magwell..i only have bipod on when im using it, takes like 5-10s to screw on there but i dont like my hand farther out than where afg is anyway

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK I'm all set up and have everything in place. I put my STL on the far forward setting for CQB application. Did a dry test run around the house's hallways and I love the control. Another, is that one of the main reasons I got the SIG 556, is that you can adiquately fire it while folded. Unlike the SCAR-not recomended while folded says FNH! That is a major plus. With the EOTech 512 on top, this thing can acquire targets lighting fast.

Thanks to all who blazed the page!

I am at peace with the Carbine g-ds! 8)

- - -Hammer- - -

·
Registered
51 Posts
HebrewHammer said:
OK SIG fans. I am about to mount my STL-300J (Vertical Foregrip, Light & Laser combo) on to my modified classic foregrip. The thing that gets me, is for the life of me, I can't decide which placement is better- REAR, MIDDLE or FRONT?

I would love to hear some opinions with explainations if yall would be so kind as to indulge me.

Thanks ahead of time, folks!

Hammer

:?: :!: :D :!: :?:

it is of personal preference. Difference in arm's length.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts