SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the SIG collapsing stock, the rubber recoil pad is held in place two ways.

1. It has a 'lip' that hooks over the hard plastic edge of the butt plate.

2. There is some sort of push through fastener (rivet) located towards the bottom that the rubber pad 'swivels' on when moving it to gain access to the battery storage compartment.

The SIG manual refers to this push through fastener as a rivet on page 14, but there is no part number for it individually. In fact, the manual refers to the entire butt stock as part 611, not providing part numbers for the recoil pad, adjustment lever, etc.

That rivet looks like I should be able to pinch the split part together and push it back through the butt plate, thus freeing the pad so I can modify the plate and stock. Sadly, this isn't working - LOL

Has anyone taken this stupid thing off without breaking it? C.S. at SIG took forever to catch on to what I was describing before telling me I couldn't buy a new rivet if I broke this one. I could however, buy another whole stock. :roll:

I need to free the recoil pad completely and remove it to modify the butt stock, then be able to use that rivet to re-attach the recoil pad when I'm done.

Suggestions?

UPDATE-

Does anyone know where I can get one or more replacement 'rivets' that will fit this hole? That way I can just cut the damned thing off and get on with it. I've screwed the finish up on this one messing around trying to get it off but I don't think I've ruined it.

I've been unable to find any online and honestly, unless it said it was made for this stock I wouldn't know how to tell if it would fit if I did find one online.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...i took my ER stock off and looked at the "rivet" under a 10X jewelers loupe...i couldn't find a seam around the rivet's circumference where it meets the stock...mabey it's pressed and glued in...or the outside "top" of the "so called "rivet pops off...???...mabey the small stub you see on the opposit end of the stock is part of the stock...it's hard to tell...plus i have old eyes...anyway...i don't think it was meant to be removed once it was put in place...unless you can pop off the top that actually holds down the butt pad with something like a screwdriver...just guessing though...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rivet is a single piece that pierces the butt plate, holding the recoil pad in place. It's built along the lines of the 'christmas tree' style panel retainers common in automobiles.

The cap part visible from the recoil pad side of the butt plate and the post part visible from the opposite side are both the same piece as far as I can tell because if you take a pair of pliers and rotate the post part, the cap part rotates with it although it's possible that they are two separate piece stuck together.

I agree that it looks like it is NOT meant to be removed.

SIG customer service says it's not available for purchase so far, but Scott is checking to see if it's possible to buy a few individually. He said he'll get back to me.

I just want to remove the recoil pad so I can paint the butt stock with a camo color like dark earth, etc. without getting paint on the rubber recoil pad.

Getting the adjustment lever off the stock assembly was fairly easy, but this thing is a beast.

Think that krylon paint for plastic will work?

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Camouflage ... pd_sim_k_3

1 - 3 of 3 Posts