SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to leave my 556P upper receiver at a gunsmith because I was unsuccessful in trying to remove the flash hider. I tried applying heat and all the tricks, but was unable to get it off. I'm pretty disappointed in Sig that they would even consider adding a piece of hardware that would not allow complete disassembly of the weapon. Very poor planning!

I'm adding a Troy Medieval flash suppressor, pistol rail system, and front and rear sights. I'm also going to put on an EOTech 516 and then SBR it.

Shadews

·
Registered
438 Posts
You need the right tools for the job. Invest in a receiver block to put in a vise, slide the rifle on it. It is a piece of plastic which slides into the magazine well and locks the upper in place.

It is money well spent.

I used a 12" adjustable wrench on the flash hider. No heat or lubrication was needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
http://sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=9668

Not everyone's just "pops" right off. Mine took a lot of heat to release. I'm amazed that so many think that just because one rifle is easy to work on, they all are - "right" tools or not.

Aside from my own "issues" my SIG has been great...I'm at about 1300 rounds. Looking to add a 556P to SBR.

That would NOT have done me any good. Mine was very attached with loc-tite. It took a strip of the weapon, a wrench on the barrel flats and heat + wrench on the muzzle device.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Apply heat if needed and a good impact type wrench to break loose.
It's intended to stay on unless removed with proper tools.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slewfoot said:
You need the right tools for the job. Invest in a receiver block to put in a vise, slide the rifle on it. It is a piece of plastic which slides into the magazine well and locks the upper in place.

It is money well spent.

I used a 12" adjustable wrench on the flash hider. No heat or lubrication was needed.
OK well the gunsmith couldn't get it off after 15 minutes of trying. I applied heat, had it in a vice and used wrenches and etc. Sometimes they just don't come off. A piece of plastic doesn't has anything on the metal vise that I put it in believe me. I also used the right tools for the job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
shadews said:
slewfoot said:

It is money well spent.

OK well the gunsmith couldn't get it off after 15 minutes of trying. I applied heat, had it in a vice and used wrenches and etc. Sometimes they just don't come off. A piece of plastic doesn't has anything on the metal vise that I put it in believe me. I also used the right tools for the job.
I had to get the muzzle device a dull red with an oxy/act torch before it smoked and was loose enough to remove. It took more than I expected. Finish is still the same on the barrel, but the "devce" needs a paint job if its used again.

Wrench on barrel flats in large vise, heat to device, wrench on device, turn when dull red gently. Mark the mating of the barrel to the receiver with a sharpie line to make sure the index does not change. If you were in middle TN I'd do it for you.

Something that should be so simple is not on some of these.

·
Registered
342 Posts
An "easily removable flash suppressor" was probably not at the top of their list of design criteria.... Nor should it have been.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Both of mine came off with no problems at all. Maybe I had better leverage with a longer wrench or Sig didn't use loctite back then. Sounds like they are using some sort of adhesive now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tvchance said:
An "easily removable flash suppressor" was probably not at the top of their list of design criteria.... Nor should it have been.
Wow. Thanks. :roll: Putting a retaining compound on the flash suppressor must have been on the TOP of their list for design criteria and requirements.....since all the other muzzle devices I have ever came into contact with easily screw right off, maybe by hand, unless it is pinned onto the barrel, accept the SIG556 in my safe and the five on the wall at the local gun store collecting dust.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
YellowIH said:
I had to get the muzzle device a dull red with an oxy/act torch before it smoked and was loose enough to remove. It took more than I expected. Finish is still the same on the barrel, but the "devce" needs a paint job if its used again.

Wrench on barrel flats in large vise, heat to device, wrench on device, turn when dull red gently. Mark the mating of the barrel to the receiver with a sharpie line to make sure the index does not change. If you were in middle TN I'd do it for you
...you need to be "very" careful when using heat...you can change the properties of the metal...and easily weaken or destroy a barrel...especially the thinner treaded portion...

... http://www.blksmth.com/heat_colors.htm

... http://www.abana.org/resources/educatio ... uide.shtml

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tvchance said:
Yea well Sig should have known what everybody else knows. It is one of the most commonly changed out parts. Especially when you put on an out of spec AAC quick attach mount and it prevents you from taking the gas tube out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
shadews said:
tvchance said:
Yea well Sig should have known what everybody else knows. It is one of the most commonly changed out parts. Especially when you put on an out of spec AAC quick attach mount and it prevents you from taking the gas tube out.
And I'm sure you would bitching about Sig if it fell off in your hand when you took it out of the box.

For christ sake, some people just aren't happy unless they are bitching about something.

When will the bitching start about the pube hair amount of play in the upper? :roll:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
racenet said:
shadews said:
tvchance said:
And I'm sure you would bitching about Sig if it fell off in your hand when you took it out of the box.

For christ sake, some people just aren't happy unless they are bitching about something.

When will the bitching start about the pube hair amount of play in the upper? :roll:

That was not bitching and more of a matter of fact response to the other guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
ullie said:
YellowIH said:

Wrench on barrel flats in large vise, heat to device, wrench on device, turn when dull red gently. Mark the mating of the barrel to the receiver with a sharpie line to make sure the index does not change. If you were in middle TN I'd do it for you
...you need to be "very" careful when using heat...you can change the properties of the metal...and easily weaken or destroy a barrel...especially the thinner treaded portion...

... http://www.blksmth.com/heat_colors.htm

... http://www.abana.org/resources/educatio ... uide.shtml
Agreed. I was not happy with the process, nor the effort it took to remove.

·
Registered
427 Posts
shadews said:
racenet said:
shadews said:
tvchance said:

That was not bitching and more of a matter of fact response to the other guy
:roll:

·
Registered
84 Posts
500 degrees to break down loctite.
Soak in water to breakdown Rockset.

Heating "red" with a torch is overkill.

It's threaded together and only comes apart one way so plan accordingly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an early P556 and was able to remove the FH with a vice grips on the gas block and a box wrench on the FH flats. I tapped on the box wrench with a hammer to loosen it, didn't require much. There was no loctite on the threads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts