SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where i could get a taller TRITIUM sightpost to replace the one that came with the troy sights? i have the rear folding dioptic with tritium too and im maxed out and still 3 inches high at 25 yds.it is mounted on the troy quadrail.i called troy and they couldnt believe it but had no solution.i know that you can get a variety of different length sight posts so i dont know why they would not have an option for that but they do not. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
is your Troy rail in perfect condition? I can't possibly imagine that it would not be perfectly planed and leveled, but you never know. Check for any possible warping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think everything is ok as far as that goes because the rear of the rail is down as well as the front of it good and tight and it shoots straight just too high.i know they make different length front sight posts but i dont know about the night sight type.i followed manufacturers instructions on the sights and the rail perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
travisozment said:
i have the rear folding dioptic with tritium too and im maxed out and still 3 inches high at 25 yds.

....3 inches high @ 25 yards is a lot...how did your 556 shoot with the origional sights ?...it may be that the rifle is shooting way too high ???...ask Troy what height sight post they use in their sights...either the .270 inch high post for the F marked front sight base of an M4...or the .310 inch tall sight post for an AR 15 A2/ M16...you can try a sight post for an AR 15 A2...you should be able to find one with tritium...mabey Bushmaster...

...BTW...are you shooting with the tritium "dot" over the target as you would with the sights (dots) on an HK pistol...or are you using the top of the front sight post...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks ullie, and i never used the old factory irons.i have an eotech 556 that is dead on by the way.i will call them and get back with a reply about the sight height. Also i am aiming with the center dot on the intended point of impact.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok for now i just measued the post from the top to the bottom where it swells out and it was .254 so im guessing it is the shorter one.ill still call and ask though. also i asked troy how i should be holding on target and they did say use the tritium dot over the intended point of impact as you would a pistol. Is that right? i know sometimes you might not get good info from customer service doesnt matter what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
travisozment said:
thanks ullie, and i never used the old factory irons.i have an eotech 556 that is dead on by the way.i will call them and get back with a reply about the sight height. Also i am aiming with the center dot on the intended point of impact.
...you should zero your 556 POA=POI @ 50 yards...placing a target @ 25 yards and shooting POA=POI will place your shots ~ 1 1/4 inch low at 25 yards with a 50 yard / 200 "meter" zero...zero at 50 and adjust and confirm at 200 meters...use the "top" of your front sight post to zero...this will give you your best "point blank range" out to about 300 yards...

...the luminous dots are for use in very low light conditions at CQB ranges and will allow you to get center mass hits at these shorter ranges...as long as you can see your target...

...you should also zero your Eotech POA=POI @ 50 yards...this will give you a near zero of 50 yards and a far zero (crossover) at about 200 meters...with any ammunition that comes close in trajectory to M855 fired out of a carbine...

...you should zero the irons and Eotech independant of each other...

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
travisozment said:
ok for now i just measued the post from the top to the bottom where it swells out and it was .254 so im guessing it is the shorter one.ill still call and ask though.
...my old Trijicon front sight post (intended for a F marked front sight base) is .267 inches tall...it uses a luminous bar...not a luminous dot...if you can't zero using the top of the post of your current front sight post...then you need to use the taller one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts