SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Troy tritium front and rear sights on my P556 and realized that I'd rather have a Samson on the front that installs directly into the dovetail in the gas block. My question is, does anyone with a Samson front think that I can back out the front post of the Samson and possibly replace it with the tritium post from my Troy?

See photo in link below, shows my Troy tritium post measurements, which might help in making a S.W.A.G. as to whether the two posts could be interchangeable.

Thanks,

nuke

http://www.metalworld-photo.com/TroyTritiumPost.htm

update: I'll find out soon enough. The Samson front sight is on it's way.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...both Samson and Troy use a standard A2 front sight post...they should interchange just fine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Samson front sight came in. The length of threaded part of the post, and the height of the post itself, are basically equal on both the Troy AND the Samson front posts, so they ARE interchangeable. So far, so good.

But not so fast...

To get the Samson front to work with the Troy rear like some people have done, you must ask Samson to send a shorter post. That shorter post not only has the threaded part of the post shortened by half, but the upper part (the post itself) is shortened as well (by about one-third). This all means that I'll need to shorten my Troy tritium post to make my idea work. The deal breaker is this...the Troy tritium front post itself, is made up of 3 pieces, and the threaded part cannot be cut short or it will basically fall apart. Yeah...that tiny front post is made up of three different pieces. Shortening the post is really the only way to make any Troy/Samson configuration work and get the sight to zero.

Here's why you can't shorten the Troy tritium post like you can the Samson post:

The Troy tritium post has 3 pieces: 1) a lower threaded sleeve; 2) an upper post that slides down into the sleeve; 3) a SS retainer ring that keeps the two together. Shortening the lower threaded sleeve will cut off the retainer ring, causing the two pieces to separate. The upper post is more of a blade rather than a square post. It's made to rotate within the threaded lower part so that you can make quarter-turns up or down for elevation, then re-orient the tritium vial separately, so that it is again facing the operator. The retainer ring must stay intact. See photo link for further explanation.

http://www.metalworld-photo.com/TroyTritiumPost2.htm

In the end, I decided that I'm going to sell the Samson post, buy a Troy BattleRail, and just mount both Troy sights on this one piece rail. Since mine is a P556 pistol, I think that any play that could be in the front of the rail, if there is any, would be acceptable considering they are back-up irons, and it's a pistol. The chances that I'd really need to hit something at more than point blank range with the back-ups (after my EOTech fails) is very remote.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
nuke said:
The Samson front sight came in. The length of threaded part of the post, and the height of the post itself, are basically equal on both the Troy AND the Samson front posts, so they ARE interchangeable. So far, so good.
...i suggest you change out the posts and attempt to zero your P556 with live ammunition @ 25 yards before giving up on the idea...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do that, by then I will have installed the Samson front sight and will for sure not be able to resell it. The Troy BattleRail will be here soon. When it comes in, I'll install it and then mount my Troy front and rear on it. If it doesn't even come close to holding a zero, then I'll install the new Samson front and see if it can be zeroed with the swapped out Troy tritium post.

I like the Troy front a lot better than the Samson. The only reason why I bought the Samson was because I thought that if I wanted the BUIS to hold a zero, a dovetail sight was my only option. From what I can tell, the Troy BattleRail might be secured and stable enough to work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post how it works out in the end.

·
Registered
226 Posts
nuke said:

But not so fast...

To get the Samson front to work with the Troy rear like some people have done, you must ask Samson to send a shorter post. That shorter post not only has the threaded part of the post shortened by half, but the upper part (the post itself) is shortened as well (by about one-third). This all means that I'll need to shorten my Troy tritium post to make my idea work. The deal breaker is this...the Troy tritium front post itself, is made up of 3 pieces, and the threaded part cannot be cut short or it will basically fall apart. Yeah...that tiny front post is made up of three different pieces. Shortening the post is really the only way to make any Troy/Samson configuration work and get the sight to zero.

Here's why you can't shorten the Troy tritium post like you can the Samson post:

The Troy tritium post has 3 pieces: 1) a lower threaded sleeve; 2) an upper post that slides down into the sleeve; 3) a SS retainer ring that keeps the two together. Shortening the lower threaded sleeve will cut off the retainer ring, causing the two pieces to separate. The upper post is more of a blade rather than a square post. It's made to rotate within the threaded lower part so that you can make quarter-turns up or down for elevation, then re-orient the tritium vial separately, so that it is again facing the operator. The retainer ring must stay intact. See photo link for further explanation.

http://www.metalworld-photo.com/TroyTritiumPost2.htm

In the end, I decided that I'm going to sell the Samson post, buy a Troy BattleRail, and just mount both Troy sights on this one piece rail. Since mine is a P556 pistol, I think that any play that could be in the front of the rail, if there is any, would be acceptable considering they are back-up irons, and it's a pistol. The chances that I'd really need to hit something at more than point blank range with the back-ups (after my EOTech fails) is very remote.

You dont have to cut the post, just cut a small amount off the spring sitting under the post, you'll then be able to screw the post down farther, and if for some reason you want to change back you can probably find a suitable replacement spring a lot easier than another front sight post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts