SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So four weeks ago I ordered a Trijicon TA33G-H ACOG from botachtactical.com for the low low price of only $816 shipped taking advantage of their 10% stimulus discount. After several phone calls to contact Dan, one of the customer service agents, the sight was on it way. It arrived five days later in a custom pelican case with enclosed lens pen, warranty card, scope coat, TA60 mount, and instruction manual. I quickly removed the TA60 mount and replaced it with the Larue Tactical LT-105 throw lever mount to facilitate changing optics as I now have almost accumulated a full SOPMOD kit for the 556.

...First impressions were that this is the best glass I have ever owned, with a bright and well defined green reticle that really stands out against everything but my roommates 1970's ugly green living room paint. The stadia lines under the horseshoe dot are easy to see and the 3 power magnification is just enough to ensure target ID out to around 600 yards.

...As always the Larue mount works perfectly

.....Reticle Calibration....
This reticle is calibrated for the M855 62gr with a BC .304 @ 2900fps which will also work with 55gr FMJs @3000fps out to 400m, 68gr BTHP @2760fps out to 600m, and 75grBTHP @2675fps out to 600m.

....Ranging System....
It has an integrated ranging function in that width of the horseshoe, the gap in the horseshoe, and the stadia lines for 4-600m are equivalent to 19" at each of their corresponding distances.
Simply put, average shoulder width(19") is measured using these different marks and when you find the one that fits, pull the trigger.
It works well, actually having tried it on IDPA targets out to the full 600m.

......Range Time........
Zeroing.... Within 5 shots the sight was zeroed without the use of a boresighter at 110 yards(100meters) using 55gr. Federal .223 bulk ammo @ 2742fps.
Shooting at variable distance......
Using a 12"x12" gong at 200m(219yards) I tested the BDC reticle and found that this ammunition needs to use the 300m mark for shooting 200m, and provided consistant hits from an unsupported position. The same at 300m(328yards) using the 400m stadia line held at the base of the target. 400m(437yards) gave a hit rate of 90% holding the 400m stadia line two inches above on the target. 500m(546yards) was slightly more difficult and was accomplished in a 4mph 1/4 value wind by holding the 600m stadia line on target and windage compensated at the edge of the 500m stadia line. Hit rate was 75% at this distance which I was very pleased with.

Given that this data is using ammo not calibrated to the BDC, it is not a great representation of how simple and quick this optic is, but I also tried it with the above 68gr BTHP load and it was right on the plate at all distances barring wind compensation. So no need to worry, Trijicon got this one right.

Close range....
After running 50 rounds through the rifle and training on the sight, I found it was only 0.4 seconds slower than my EoTech and the parallax does not seem to be a big deal given the low magnification and generous eye relief.

......Conclusions......
I am extremely pleased with this optic and the money I spent on it. It weighs in at a light 9 ounces with the LaRue mount and 11 ounces with the included TA60 mount, compared to the Eotech 552 @ 11.5 ounces. Not much difference I realize, but the ACOG has 600m capability if the shooter does. This is the optic that's stays on the 556 for ready use and I don't see that changing any time in the future. I love it and you won't be disappointed.

......Notes......
Butler Creek Flip ups are OBJ#9 and OBJ#1
Edited: for the use of proper grammar and spelling
(I spells like a 4th grader) :lol:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Wow, nice camoed rig and nice report, enjoyed reading it and your range work too. That ACOG is a very nice setup and l really like the reticle and range lines, plus your long range work with it too.

I have a 556 exactly like that with the fishgill forened and the ACE folder on the rear and a Lavang Compensator, but mine has an Eotech 512 with the 3X magnifier which I use primarily for hunting. This has been an excellent setup for me with major kills out to 225 yards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awsome review and sweet machine! Thanks for taking the time to post.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Cheney:

Great post, and really nice rifle, optic and gear combination. It's clear you put a lot of thought and time into your setup, reflected in the good results you're getting....

Throw some match ammo in that cool thing next time - bet it'll really bang that gong then!

Clyde

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I appreciate your kind words
Clyde...the new 75 grain match rounds I'm making will be the subject of my next report with this guy and I expect great results. Plus I'm going to go ahead and challenge the wind out at 655yds next time I go out just to see what my limits are. (4mph wind was not bad, I'm looking to see what I can do at 10) I forgot to include the fact that after my first time out with it I got the optic really muddy and just took it off dunked it in the sink full of water and shook it til the dirt was gone. Can't do that with some optics.

....Vortex Solo R/T 8x36 Tactical Monocular for anyone that wants a range finding device that's compact and not very expensive.....don't buy it. I'm sending mine back tomorrow. Can't focus it and the reticle disappears at 250 yards so save your money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Cheney,

That's a great review, and good shooting. I'm researching optics right now, and loved the Acog since I first discovered it. I've all but ruled it out however, in favor of a variable power scope.

I have heard a rumor that there is 1-9x Acog that the military uses, but I have not been able to prove it out in my own research. My buddy said his nephew is sending the spec sheet on it.

I love optics so I tend to like 10x or so for those longer ranges. Often though it's not very easy to practice them.

Looking forward to the next report!
MeridanNW~

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meridian,
Your ideas about a variable power scope are well founded and can be a very important part of shooting at greater distances. Ullie preaches about a true 1-4 power variable scope and I whole heartily agree with him under the conditions that it is your only optic and you expect to be without your trusty 12 gauge or sidearm in a hall way checking closets. Not meant to be a stick at Ullie, in fact he is alot more knowledable than I, I'm simply displaying areas where the ACOG lacks and a variable power scope takes the pie so to say. I also have a LaRue mounted Burris 3-9x42 Fullfield II Tactical so I have my long range precision covered.
....Main Point...
I recently switched over to that of the philosophy of use for all of my weapons and the ACOG seemed to fit the 556 perfectly. KISS principle applied and now I'm not expecting MOA accuracy out to 600 yards like I once had. Its a combat type semi-auto rifle and I equipped it as such.....granted it seems to be able to reach out to distances most people think are ridiculous when I tell them about it.
As far as your idea of a 10x, go for it if it fits your POU, just don't expect close range speed even at 3x without some type of illumination.
......Overall......
Buy Quality Once, Rather than Crap Twice

Edited so I don't sound so friggin arrogant. :roll:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
cheney said:
Buy Quality Once, Rather than Crap Twice
10-4 on that! :wink:

I've never used an ACOG but I have looked closely at the Trijicon products and am always open to new thoughts and ideas, my main worry is the fixed power as I've always leaned towards a variable power optic. I did scope out a very nice Trijicon Accupoint variable scope recently for the first time and it was a nice piece.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Random question, but did you refinish your upper? That black looks so much glossier and cleaner and less scratched up than mine. Or is it just really new? My factory finish really scratches easily.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its the standard finish that came on it. Don't know what to tell you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Cheney,

I appreciate your comments on my optics thoughts. I'm learning a lot about scopes, uses, tactics, and sport shooting. I'll probably start a thread on what I'm honing in on (for optics) as time progresses, but for now, my top choices seem to be moving around a bit from week to week.

I am settling on several features, such as a quick disconnect quality mount (can you spell Larue?), ilumminated reticle, low to medium power, etc. But I'm still discovering brands, learning more about reticle choices, adjustable parallax options and such.

At the same time, I find myself questioning if I really need to get the 'ultimate scope.' I do hear a lot of words of wisdom about just getting a basic unit for the intended use and go shoot. This is good as it's easy to get caught up in the shopping and start thinking you need the best.

I'm not in a position to spend whatever it takes, if I want to spend anything over a few hundred shekels, I have to save up for it. So it's good to keep circling back to the basics, at least that makes sense to me.

I like the Acogs and that's a great looking stick!

Have fun with it, and keep shooting~

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem Meridian. Make sure you take your time and get what suits your needs and you will be very happy with yourself, but I guess you already knew that. Going out next weekend with my new PRS stock attached to do some 500+ work with my new 75 OTM rounds. I'll keep you guys posted although it will probably be done with my scope rather than the ACOG.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is a fantastic rig you've got there man! Just a beautiful crisp, clear sight! WANT!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks grisso. There is still work to be done with her to get it all tuned in correctly before I start cranking out thousands of rounds for her, but in the mean time I think there is a new stock I need to paint :lol: I'm getting excited about next weekend and I think I may take her out as far as I can get on the farm ~700m. Maybe I should invest in Knights Armament Bullet Flight app and an ipod touch. Damn you technology and your handiness :x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts