SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my SIG 556 and my SIG 522 today at my FFL. Is there anyone smart enough on the federal reg's to tell me how about transferring them into my companies name. I want to apply for the SBR and the Silencer stamps, but I want them in my companies name, therefore, I was figuring I would just transfer the weapon to the company as well to avoid confusion. I am an amateur on these Fed rules, so any help is appreciated.

Robert

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not as difficult as most folks think, essentially you substitute your company's name in place of your name on the forms. There are two different forms you will need to submit to the BATFE, a Form 1 to "manufacture" the SBR and a Form 4 to purchase the suppressor. If you purchase your suppressor from out of state, you first fill out a Form 3 to get the suppressor sent tax free to your local dealer and then the Form 4 to then receive the suppressor from your local dealer.

I would recommend you do some research on the benefits of a trust over a corporation, I went the trust route.

- No one that is not a member of your company can possess the weapon outside of your presence. If you keep the weapon in your gun safe at your house, and your spouse knows the combo, she now technically has "constructive possession" and would be in violation of the law. With a trust, it is much easier to include others, and they would be allowed to be in possession without you being present.

- You have to maintain the corporation to keep the weapons. If the company goes is ever shut down, you have to pay to transfer the weapons to yourself. Maintaining a corporation solely for the weapons doesn't really make sense - taxes, licenses and all that.

The Gun Trust Lawyer and Maj Malfunction websites have reliable info. Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts