SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Thinking of buying a 556 Classic

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Redhook 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've always been intrigued by Sig 551/552 and 556. I'm finally considering purchasing one. I found a Sig 556 Classic with the collapsible and folding stock. I was wondering what serial number to avoid? I was reading it was the 1st gen's that had issues with canted sights and bolts? Or was that the 2nd gen? The Serial Number on this 556 Classic starts with " JS0342XX" Which I believe to be a 2nd Gen.

#2 ·
Unfortunately I've seen bad examples throughout the run of the US Sig 556 rifles. However, 2009 production JT serial rifles seem to have the worst fitment / function issues.
The first run rifles (ER or Early Release) are some of the very best IMO but the top rails can be canted a bit.
You are correct, though. The serial circa JS034200 would be 2nd gen. Definitely do a thorough check before you purchase. Perhaps even ask to put a few rounds through it before you buy, if possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.