SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any experience with the DMR yet? i keep eyeballing them off-and-on, but i have a hard time believing they perform... and considering the stated twist (1/10) you are going to be limited to some pretty light projectiles.

the unthreaded barrel itself is almost a deal-breaker though.

any imput?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not call the dmr accurate - as far as a dmr rifle is concerned. It will do 2-3" 5 round groups at 100 yards with handloads. I have one and am debating what to do with it. you are absolutely right - it needs a 1/7 twist - so I can launch 77gr handloads with good results. as for the threaded barrel, I see that as a non-issue. the 550 sniper never had one and short of suppressed use I see nothing that would enhance accuracy that you could hang on it.

in summary, without a 1/7 twist I think you (and I ) would be better served by a 1/7 ar platform from a quality manufacturer.

just my $.02

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
There's a ton of info on this subject already discussed in these forums. Do a search and you'll see. That's why most people who know, didn't buy a DMR. The barrel twist is way too slow.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
pbgear said:
I would not call the dmr accurate - as far as a dmr rifle is concerned. It will do 2-3" 5 round groups at 100 yards with handloads.
pbgear said:
took my 556 DMR out to the range today (South Jersey Shooting Club, Winslow NJ) and was relatively pleased with the results. To my surprise it loved the 69 gr moly SMK loads (25.3 varget) and disliked my 52 and 62 grain handloads. I was surprised because I believed the 1/10 twist would like the lighter bullets

The 69's would do an inch but I am going to experiment with various powders and charge weights to see where I can go. Also plan on slugging the bore and using some of my lapua brass.

JW

·
Registered
188 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ullie, you kill me

·
Registered
263 Posts
So, pbgear, I'm confused...maybe it's just me...is the DMR a 1-inch rifle, or a 2"-3" rifle? :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
the 69's will do and inch on occasion - but not relaibly or consistently. it is the load the dmr liked best, but that doesn't mean it will shoot 1/2 moa as many similar priced premium ar's are guaranteed to do (like my clark gator will). the dmr is a fun, reasonably accurate gun, but not a consistent match grade shhoter. if I had to pull out a gun to do a cold bore shot (or group) to save my life it would not be my dmr.

extend to 300 yards plus and the 69's open up quite a bit. 77's would do better - as they do in my other guns - but this gun will not handle them.

hey, if you love your dmr - that is great. to each his own, but it is a bit of a letdown to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
the DMR is a better shot than I am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts