Swiss trigger for a 556 | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Swiss trigger for a 556

Discussion in '556 Discussions' started by SDKmann, May 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

1. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Hi all, been lurking here for a while and finally signed up as I can't find a definitive answer to a question I have.

I am looking to source a Swiss made trigger for my 556, but am unsure which of the 55x series rifles may be compatible. I've seen references to people having Swiss made triggers in their 556 lowers, but they didn't specify which Swiss rifle trigger was in there. Know these aren't exactly common to come across, but if I did come across a Swiss made trigger does anyone know which 55x series rifle I should keep an eye out for that would be compatible with a 556 lower?

Thanks in advance.

2. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Question withdrawn as the information I needed has been found. If someone also searching for this information finds this thread in the future - sounds like all Swiss 55x triggers will work with the US 556 lowers.

3. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

Not much traffic here anymore, so sometimes just searching will be the fastest. As the earlier sig 556s had swiss internals, yup, they'd work.

BTW, if you're looking for parts, they're out there. Check out gateway supply for one. A way to get swiss parts is to buy a swiss lower and steal those parts. As sig usa did it, I assume it'd be OK parts wise for that unconstitutional recommendation of counting parts for arms.

4. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Appreciate the confirmation! Insofar I've been able to extract a good amount of information out of the site without joining by just searching old threads. Guess my particular combination of search terms just didn't get me to the right place.

It sounds like Gunfactory.ch can get ahold of some new triggers, so hoping that ends up working out.

5. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

That seems to be the job of this board, as a source for information for people. Like I said in another thread, there's another sig board (sigtalk?) where someone asked a question on the 556s and so much bullshit was told, it was a combination of amusing and embarrassing. And some of those were sig 556 owners themselves. I guess it's human nature to make shit up and appear to be knowledgeable rather than to admit they don't know something. A major flaw in most humans.
    Gatewood supply has a complete 550 lower for sale for 900 bucks. Rather than buy individual parts for the lower, I'd buy the complete lower then pilfer what parts you need/want. This way you have spares for the whole thing. And this is why I have multiple 556 rifles also.

Just be advised tho if you get a swiss one* it may set you up for an AD with an AR if you spend a lot of trigger time with it. That happened to me where I sighted in another person's AR, I was in a hurry and went from my sig to their AR. As I was settling into the rest and bringing the scope to my eye, I was taking up the slack that's in the 556's triggers and BANG!, 'accidental' discharge....better said, early discharge. That person had a single stage trigger put in their AR, so there was no slop to take up.

*As I've not shot one, I don't know what a non swiss trigger is like. My guess is the slop in it is the same as that's how sig designs their systems because it looks the same way on their pistols too.

6. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Ah great point on a potential accidental discharge on an AR. Yes on the US triggers as well there is quite a bit of slack/uptake. Sounds like to a certain extent that can't be helped but from what I've read the Swiss trigger is still quite an improvement especially with some "tuning" as I've found outlined in a few places. Will keep that in mind when switching between rifles though.

While the dialogue is running here, maybe you could help with another topic that has probably been covered but I'm having issues finding via search. When I search "points of failure" nothing comes up for me. Do you know of a potential resource that lists common points of failure for these rifles?

With factory support being gone and the Swiss changes to their gun laws last year it seems like it would be a decent idea to stock up on some spares to ensure this rifle runs for a long time.

7. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

I know of no points of failure on the sig 556s that weren't fucked up right from the factory, so known. So the only problem I know of is the gas ports being not sized correctly, causing you to shoot in 'fouled' mode. Look at your brass and there should be a dent in the case and the mouth a mild D. If the mouth is damanged more than that, it's not sized correctly. Download the manual and IIRC the orifice sizes should be in there and you can drill them out. Or just buy a swiss one.

It's easy to break a piece of the fishgill off in front when taking it off, so if that's what you wind up with, just be careful. There are replacement ones out there and if you want a high tech one and want to spend the cash, sampson makes one. But swiss clones should be around still.

I've said this before, you can shoot this gun for say 30K rounds. That's a LOT of rounds for a civvie not in competitions. If you were competing, you wouldn't use this gun as it's too front heavy and slow. If you're worried about wear, instead of shooting the 5,56, shoot 223 rem. They cost a bit more, but if you use privi 55gr fmjs, you'll be getting excellent brass for reloading down the road if you decide to go that route.

Grease your wear parts as you'll see where that's taking place. I use tetra grease for all those apps. Read the other "info" thread here to get more info on these things.

I'd get 2 wolf recoil springs and a swiss bolt complete. I have an extra op rod and tube, with spring, but as I have multiple 556s that's cheap insurance spread out over multiple guns.

The biggest problem you're going to run into is these are really nice to shoot. Oh, if you're into folders, get the lawman attachement as it has gotten great reviews. And you can show up at a range with it folded and people will give you the "wow, what's that?" look. :-D

8. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Haha yeah this thing being great to shoot is really where the question came from in the first place. Want to ensure this remains functional for a long time. Can't understand why this rifle wasn't more popular/was discontinued.

Appreciate the recommendations on maintenance and the spare parts list though, I'll look to pick those up in the next round of parts I secure for this. Have read here about the issue of being over gassed, a Swiss regulator is definitely on the list.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but looking at the parts for a Swiss trigger, are they all fully compatible with US parts or does it need to be a full swap out for the Swiss stuff? Essentially what I'm asking is if there is a minimum number of parts I can pick up to get the better Swiss feel and keep costs down by recycling some US/stock parts.

Looking at the list I was thinking I could get away with only the hammer, main spring, trigger, and trigger spring. Not sure if that would cause problems with a mix and match though.

9. LKY13

LKY13 Member

SDK-- you're more than welcome to come down and test out one of my Swiss triggers vs yours before you drop all the time/cash/effort to replace.
    Make sure you want to go that route first. Have you attempted to adjust the plunger at all?

10. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

LKY13 is certainly correct, in asking about whether or not you’ve adjusted the plunger. Some folks will just spin the exposed part, and wonder why nothing happened. You need to remove the grip, as seen in the video LKY13 posted.

*Disclaimer* I don’t give a darn about triggers. I don’t put aftermarket triggers in any of my guns. I am one of those annoying people who is of the opinion that no matter how sweet your trigger is, and how good you think you are, there’s always a dude who can outshoot you with a factory or “GI” trigger.

That being said, I think the factory Sig triggers need no improvement. US or Swiss. They are already adjustable, and, if you want to polish some surfaces as well, you can make them pretty awesome.

My recommendation is shoot the thing. If you want a Swiss trigger, I suggest buying a Swiss lower, and using the Swiss mags, as it adds another unique aspect to the experience.

11. LKY13

LKY13 Member

^^...Exactly. I do not pay attention to the trigger as much when running 'n gunning.
    My AR has a basic milspec type nickel boron coated trigger with JP $9 spring kit. It is perfect for 3-gun type operation.
    And, while my SiG 556 is plenty accurate-- the AR will take it in the accuracy department any day of the week by at least .5 MOA.
    From the bench, I do very much notice/prefer a properly tuned trigger. I like the Swiss I have tuned, and can squeeze every bit of precision out of these barrels.
    That said-- I remember being just as pleased with my USA DMR trigger once I got it dialed-in, just-so...

Can someone speak to Shooting Sight's match trigger? I have yet to test one, and am curious to how it compares to either a Swiss fire control group, or US.
    SIG556 and 751 RPS Sear/Hammer – ShootingSight

12. Bosley

Bosley Active Member

SDKMann
    Get your Sig 556 first, then as recommended by those above, see how you feel about the trigger. I've not shot a non swiss one so don't know, but the gents above said they're better than stock ARs. And also, as stated some folks do quite well with stock triggers. IMO it's better to learn on a stock trigger than a good one as it'll make sure your mechanics are correct, then once a person is good to go, then they can speed things up and/or use easier triggers.
    I have both stock triggers and after market ones on my ARs. The only one that really sucks is on a 308 AR. It just sucks, but as I rarely shoot it, using it mostly for hunting, it's not worth it to spend the money for a good trigger in it. However, it does hit exactly where I'm aiming at provided my mechanics are correct. If I shot it more or at greater distances, I'd get a different trigger.

13. SDKmann

SDKmann New Member

Ah wish I would have checked the forums sooner, was out at Pelican today.

I have not adjusted the plunger quite yet, need to get an appropriate sized wrench as two sets of pliers didn't quite do the job. Will give that a go and see what I think after and would certainly take you up on your offer to do a back to back comparison.

So I actually have my 556 already and have shot it a few times. I don't hate the trigger, but don't love it either. I also run a stock trigger on my AR and have zero issues with that trigger. Never have been motivated to upgrade that one at all. Will need to try adjusting the plunger and then maybe give LKYs trigger a try and see if a Swiss one would be worth the time/money investment. My abilities as a shooter definitely don't eclipse the equipment I have now, but optimization of the machine is part of the fun for me. I base part of this desire on my experience with my Glocks. I originally had a 17, then upgraded to a 34 with the "-" trigger bar and it was a massive difference. Am hoping for something similar out of uprated factory equipment (the Swiss gear). But sounds like it would be prudent to try a few things first.

Interestingly enough I had my handguards off today for the first time and noticed they are Weidmann marked. Rest of the furniture is definitely US. Seems maybe I got lucky with some factory Swiss stuff?

Checked the hammer after finding that. Wasn't "B2" marked but was marked with an "I". Assuming that the "I" mark is US?