Swiss stock on fishgill 556? | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Swiss stock on fishgill 556?

Discussion in 'Uppers, Lowers, Barrels and Parts' started by painiac, Sep 20, 2020.

1. painiac

painiac Member

I have an old 556 with the original fishgill handguard and folding AR-style collapsible stock, purchased new in 2008 (JS 013743). I long ago replaced the handguard with a swiss style, but gave up on the stock.

I've come back around to thinking about what I want to do with this rifle. I love the sig 55x line, I love how reliable it is and want to keep it, but I rarely shoot it because I find myself resenting how badly they flubbed the design in pandering to the perceived AR market in the US. I do, however, want to stick with a lower that takes AR mags.

So here's what I want to know. What's it going to take to put a swiss-style stock on this thing? Preferably a folding one, but give me all my options.

I seem to remember they changed the shape of the receiver just enough that the Classic stock won't fit, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. rambo

rambo Member

You'll need to replace the lower with one designed to take the Swiss stock. They do become available on occasion but are usually in the $300 range.

coctailer likes this.
  3. coctailer

coctailer New Member

OP, I'll keep my eyes open for ya.
    I'm looking for one also, but would prefer the one that takes the Swiss mags.

4. painiac

painiac Member

Very disappointing.
    I'm now torn between trying to trade the lower for the correct one (which leaves me with a gun that ALSO lacks the proper sights, only having the nail file), or just selling it. I'm to the point where I refuse to spend hundreds more dollars to make this rifle look like it's supposed to. I'm also reluctant to trade for one that has everything I want because, quite frankly, I don't trust Sig's quality control on the later models.

5. painiac

painiac Member

What are my options for lowers that will fit my upper? I gather that the Classic will work (but I don't really like the stock as much as the true Swiss style, and the 551a1 will work but doesn't take AR mags. Is there one with a folding correct-appearing Swiss stock that takes AR mags?

6. HermCorps

HermCorps Member

I think, if u don't end up swapping the lower, put a UBR stock on it. When u take the storage doors off, it looks very close to Swiss, plus it balances the rifle out a bit since the UBR has some weight to it. U could also use an MDT fixed to fixed folding adapter if u want it to fold. I have an '07 556ER that came with M4 style stock also. Put swiss handguard, UBR stock, Versa-Pod bayo adapter, 550 front sight & MFI rear diopter/rail on it. It has a very swiss 551 clone look & still takes AR mags. As far as look/ergo's go for the early 556's, this setup is the best route if u want the Swiss look but keep ur AR mags.
    Another option that I was considering was was a 1913 pic rail & Dan Haga's ACR folding stock adapter. I think the ACR would be a great looking stock on our 556's with M4 stocks.

7. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

If Sig Sauer USA made these guns like they ought to have, they would have cost hundreds of dollars (maybe even 1K) more from your local gun store in the first place, back in 2008. They certainly pandered to the "AR market", and they also probably made a conscious decision to make the gun a bit more affordable in general. I think they were, unfortunately, less concerned with reproducing the fine 550 series, than they were with making a marketable gun for the general public. Had they made it right, it would have cost more, and they wouldn't have sold nearly as many of them. They could have perhaps treated it like they now treat their P210, and made small quantities for their more discerning customers, but the company wasn't doing as well then as it is now, and that move likely didn't make sense then. If you're wanting the true Swiss gun, I recommend cutting your losses. Sell your rifle, and use that money, plus a bit more, to put a down-payment on a JDI gun. You'll have the next six months to save up the rest, and you'll have the real thing, brand new from Switzerland.

You can get a lower that takes AR mags, and uses the Swiss stock. They are referred to as "556 Classic", I believe. I am of the opinion that they actually look handsomer than the Swiss-made STANAG lowers. A 556xi lower will also work, and takes the Swiss stock. ANY 556 or 550 lower will work with your upper. I wouldn't fret about Sig USA quality control on later guns. All the failures I have seen and/or experienced myself are fixable with parts that still aren't hard to get. The lamest thing I have come across is them not bothering to weld the forward portions of the rails to the receiver. Even that is fixable though, and it didn't even actually cause a problem, that I know of. Of course the Swiss guns are far better. But even they aren't problem-proof. You'll hear everyone say they "run like Swiss watches". Well, I have a Swiss watch that I've sent away for repair twice, and I have a Swiss 553 with a canted top rail and reliability issues.

8. painiac

painiac Member

I'm also considering the AGP stock, which looks fairly similar to the Swiss style but not quite.

9. painiac

painiac Member

All of your points are well made. I'm just frustrated because questionable style decisions Sig-USA made years ago are still annoying me.
    I actually took my 556 out to the range this weekend, with an eye towards making a decision to either sell it or keep/upgrade it. After shooting it for a bit, I remembered how much I enjoy the operating system and its recoil impulse and I and decided to keep it. Then a little later I noticed that the rubber bolt cover flaps had disintegrated and blown off in several large pieces...

10. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

Unfortunately, the dust covers are a consumable part, even on the Swiss guns. You can order spares from JDI or Gunfactory though.

11. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

The all-out clone route is not totally ill-advised either, in my opinion. I like the idea of improving the US guns, and, if you use a parts kit, bringing an old Swiss gun back to life. Even if you piece the parts together, they still all came from built Swiss guns that were whole and functioning once.

12. painiac

painiac Member

I do love the Swiss guns. Just don't have spare funds for them right now.
    I'm thinking I might try to sell my fishgill handguard and original folding AR-style stock. I really don't intend to use them. Any idea what they usually go for these days? If I can get enough to cover the cost of a stock upgrade, I'll be happy.

13. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

You’d be lucky to get anything for them. I may be wrong, but I think they are universally disliked.

14. HermCorps

HermCorps Member

I've seen some posts for people looking for fishgill handguards, but they're all 8-10yrs old. U may be able to get rid of them though. If it were me I would keep em so I could always put the rilfe back to its original configuration. They don't make em anymore & if one day they become somewhat collectable, u would still have all the orig furniture. That's just how I think though.

15. DinoR

DinoR New Member

It won’t lock in place when the swiss handguard is folded to the side. The notch on the fishgill handguard is not the same as the original ones. I ended up buying the B&T handguard for it n it fits perfect. I do like the look on the fishgill one but I like the swiss style stock more.