Swiss magazine damage PSA | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Swiss magazine damage PSA

Discussion in 'Uppers, Lowers, Barrels and Parts' started by CGRBB, Oct 29, 2020.

1. CGRBB

CGRBB Active Member

I have experienced two Swiss magazine failures this year. I hope that this post can help others avoid similar outcomes. I HIGHLY suggest that Swiss magazine users treat their magazines with care. I used to store mine loaded, but have decided to discontinue that practice. I also recommend careful handling to avoid dropping magazines. This is obviously unavoidable when practicing reloads and such, but be attentive under other circumstances. These magazines keep going up in price, unless back-ordered through JDI, so it really sucks when they get damaged! One of my two damaged ones is a 2001-production magazine. I am assuming subtle changes have been made in the last 20 years, either in the geometry or the plastic used, that makes the current production units better. If not, maybe these things just have a lifespan, which I suppose isn't unreasonable. Either way, if you have older Swiss mags, try to be careful with them. I did purchase a damaged/repaired mag from someone. His repair has held so far. I intend to repair mine in a similar manner, and will post results whenever I do. See below images of my magazines, for reference. mag11.jpg mag12.jpg mag21.jpg mag22.jpg

2. rambo

rambo Member

I wish Sig had made some metal Sig 550/1 magazines. I do have concerns about the lifespan of my plastic mags.

rambo