SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a known issue that I could not find in searching, if know please link, post a link, add a link to this thread as I have learned an expensive lesson.

I have a YHM QD 5.56 Suppressor. I had read that the SIG556 muzzle device is compatible with the YHM QD suppressors (cans). Well it is true that the YHM QD can will thread onto the SIG556 muzzle device's acme threads (or whatever they should be called), however, the suppressor (can) will NOT stay on the muzzle device. After the third shot, I had a baffle strike and exit out the side of my suppressor.

Please do not try to use the stock SIG556 muzzle device with a YHM QD suppressor (can). I have made a very expensive mistake, but I am alive and the SIG556 is fine. The first two rounds, FWIW, were very quiet.

I removed the stock muzzle device last night to replace with the correct YHM QD mount. It required a wrench on the barrel flats (wrench was held by a vise) and lots of heat from the oxy/act torch, and a wrench on the muzzle device. I tried soaking in PB Blaster and CLP for several days, device would not move.

For those of you whose device came off easily, good for you, for those with stubborn ones, I feel your pain.

FWIW, I am very handy and am able to do frame off restos on 4x4 vehicles - including paint, welding and custom fab. Completed lots of weapon mods and builds as well. Never saw a muzzle device so determined to NOT be removed. Whatever lock tite they used was very effective.

This is basically just a public service announcement. Don't use a YHM QD suppressor on the stock SIG556 / SIG 556 muzzle device unless you want an expensive paper weight. (The suppressor will be replaced by YHM FWIW.)

Thanks,

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune. It has been mentioned here several times about the issue with baffle strikes on the cans while using the factory flash hider. I do not even know why Sig put them on, other than tacticool effect. I have a ACC can and put theirs on and was good to go. As for the removal, I have done many, If you use a torch, (propane) preferred, you just mount it in the padded vise, apply the torch to the bottom of the flash hider / tacticool device :roll: , heat it until it begins to smoke from the threads, it is now burning off the lock tight and will break free. Do it while it is still hot and chaching $, You should be good to go. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I missed the discussions. 3rd post here since joining. I removed the device last night with the fire wrench, but thanks for a how-to addition/further confirmation for the next peeps needing help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts