SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a gun shop today when a Vietnam vet walked in carrying two FALs. The one that was most interesting was a Springfield Armory SAR 48 Match, with a milled Imbel receiver. It still had the plastic furniture, and the owner claims it has not been fired. He is a disabled vet, on disability payments, and he has run into some hard times, so he is selling some of his weapons.

This looks like a really nice piece, it is in very good to mint condition (clearly well taken care of) and from what I can tell, may be a collector's item, based on my own research. That said, I am not a FAL collector, so I need some help from you guys who are.

The guy said he paid $2500 for it...I find that a little hard to believe, but could be.

What should I look for to verify the gun is what it appears to be? It may be a pre-ban model. The milled receiver is stamped IMBEL and was made in Brazil. What other items should I check for to verify its worth and value?

Assuming all of the above is true, what is this gun worth on today's market?

Any help from you FAL fans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Re: Springfield Armory SAR 48 FAL -- Should I buy it? ULLIE

Clyde said:
This looks like a really nice piece, it is in very good to mint condition (clearly well taken care of) and from what I can tell, may be a collector's item, based on my own research.

The guy said he paid $2500 for it...I find that a little hard to believe, but could be.

What should I look for to verify the gun is what it appears to be? It may be a pre-ban model. The milled receiver is stamped IMBEL and was made in Brazil. What other items should I check for to verify its worth and value?

Assuming all of the above is true, what is this gun worth on today's market?
...the SAR 48 is not a collector item...and i find it hard to believe he bought it for $2500...not saying he didn't...just saying...the SAR 48 is pre ban...the SAR 4800 is the post ban version...both were imported from Brazil by Springfield Armory...they were produced by IMBEL ...Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil...on FN tooling...and are virtually identical to the FN FALs...with some minor exceptions...

...i would guess that an almost new in the box SAR 48 is worth about $1500...$2500 get's you into FN territory...

...i would recomend you purchase a DSA FAL...the standard model with the 21 inch barrel...argueably the best FAL avaliable...street price about $1500...and it comes with a lifetime warrenty...

... http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Standard ... o/SA58STD/

...i would order one with a type II reciever and a carry handle...and add the match grade set trigger upgrade...here's a couple of linkies...there's lot's more information in the assualt rifle section on FALs...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... hlight=fal

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php ... t=sar+4800

...on the SAR 48...Springfield Armory "may" have also imported some of the recievers only...gun's built up on these recievers are "parts guns"...and "may have" IMBEL stamped upon them...along with Springfield Armory...so...buyer beware !

...if i were recomend a FAL...it would be a DSA...bar none...the DSA FAL is actually "a hair" better than the FNs...honestly...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ullie:

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a thorough reply. I knew you would know the answer, and thanks for shooting me straight.

Your advice is very highly prized, and greatly appreciated!

Clyde

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
...Clyde

...honestly...you really ought to get yourself a FAL to add to your collection...like i've said many many times before...if i could only have one "battle rifle"...it would be a FAL...

...i also believe that everyone should own at least one AR 15...either a Colt 6920 LE / 6721 (Colt AR15A3 Tactical Carbine) or a LMT...just to have one !... :twisted:

...and...and...and...a FN FNC... 8)

... :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts