SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although not a big surprise given hints here and there, SOCOM has canceled the Mk16 in favor of focusing on the Mk17. I hope this forces FN to try to recoup some of their efforts and perhaps bring the common receiver design (and parts) to the civilian market. I would purchase the 308 SCAR in a heartbeat if it meant I could swap between 7.62 and 5.56.

http://www.military.com/news/article/spec-ops-command-cancels-new-rifle.html?wh=wh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mk17 is the designation for the 7.62 chambered SCAR. It has 98% parts commonality with the 5.56 SCAR per the FNH website. The decision shows that SOCOM has decided that the added cost of an entirely new weapons system was not worth the added benefit over the current 5.56 lineup. Instead, a bigger gap could be filled by the 7.62 Mk17. FNH may try to play the 7.62 to 5.56 conversion angle to get more legs out of the Mk16.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Is that 98% just a generalization? I would imagine it needs a bigger bolt, bolt carrier, extractor, recoil spring, the lower would be different to accommodate the larger magazine well for the 7.62, a different barrel and flash hider just to start. That's a lot more than 2% of the components.How do you just throw on an upper and slap in a 7.62 mag and fire the gun. I'm not following. Sounds like pie in the sky ACR BS to me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i think that i read his comment as a downward conversion. 7.62 receiver down to 5.56.

either way, its all just a pain in the ass. it's so much easier to simply buy a second rifle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it's a downward 7.62 to 5.56 conversion. I'm all about taking less crap to the range. I already look like I'm invading Panama everytime I strap on my double drag bag and double carbine case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts