SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. My apologies if this has been addressed before but a search didn't turn up an answer for me. I have a SIG556 classic (not swat) that is relatively new that I got a few months ago. I am trying to find a cheek riser for the stock side folder. Does anyone know if there is something available out there for this purpose? I saw a post about this in my searching that someone suggested an airsoft version but I have not even been able to find this. Thanks for looking.

-AJ

·
Registered
28 Posts
ammojoe, I just ordered one (MagPul CTR, MOE Cheek Riser 3/4") from MidwayUSA and it should be here in a next week. I think that may be too much, but I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ddnuts said:
ammojoe, I just ordered one (MagPul CTR, MOE Cheek Riser 3/4") from MidwayUSA and it should be here in a next week. I think that may be too much, but I will keep you posted.
I guess I was looking for something that would fit directly on the factory side folder but that may not be an option. Would love to hear how this goes for you though since I might have to do the same. Thanks!

-AJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
ammojoe
I have an old Bushmaster cheek riser for the old style telestock. I modified it a little. It can clip on my Classic SWAT's stock very tight but it is removable. I have not test it yet . I will post a pic when I have time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gciverson said:
ammojoe
I have an old Bushmaster cheek riser for the old style telestock. I modified it a little. It can clip on my Classic SWAT's stock very tight but it is removable. I have not test it yet . I will post a pic when I have time.
That would be great. I would love to see what you came up with. Do you know if the Classi SWAT stock is the same as the Classic? Thanks again!
-AJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
classic butt stock

all the classic butt stocks are the same, as fitted new.
you can replace your classic stock with an Swiss Sig 55x non collapseable stock.
i replaced mine and i am very happy. they make a cheek riser for the Swiss stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Pistol Fixer. I blew my budget on a good scope so i may not be able to go with a new stock for a bit. The problem is my new scope sits high enough that I am not happy with the cheek weld. Another half inch should be perfect.

Thanks for the pictures gciverson. I may have to give that a shot too. I found this online for like $30 so it may be worth it to try out. If you don't mind me asking, what modifications did you have to make to it.

Thanks again fella's

-AJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ammojoe

It is very easy. The cheek riser's channel(open) is too tight. I just used a file to open the channel a little and push the cheek riser on the stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
gcIverson, I love the look of your rifle. I just hope when mine gets here it's not too high. Great pic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ddnuts

Thanks. I up graded all my ARs with Magpul stocks. I also have the Magpul 3/4 cheek raiser. I think the Magpul cheek riser's channel is too wide for the Classic's stock.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Can anybody with a classic see if the magpul risers are way wide, pop over the classic stocks okay (probably need to dremel some retention slots even if they fit well) or are too narrow to go over the classic stock? I'm also guessing that they are too wide and won't work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dang it. I thought I had a solution, but I dropped the ball on that one. Sheez, what the heck do I do now? I will try it for shits and giggles and send it back. Thanks for the heads gcIverson (aka The Bearer of Bad News). Lol :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
ddnuts
I plan to test my cheap set up sometime this week. I will let you know my set up work or not. I want to see the cheek riser will stay at same place or not after shooting.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just came back from range and happy to tell you that after 60 rounds the cheek riser did not move at all. It also made my 5 shots groups smaller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gciverson said:
Just came back from range and happy to tell you that after 60 rounds the cheek riser did not move at all. It also made my 5 shots groups smaller.
Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and feedback gciverson. May have to give this a try.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The Sig 550 series cheek riser sold for airsoft guns will pop onto the US made Sig classic stock. The front of it would need to be trimmed to move it forward from the fully extended position though. If you tilt the front up, it will come forward to collapse to the two shorter positions but the lines of it no longer match the gun. It would need some dremel work under the front of the riser to get it to come over the stock hump.

It is a high cheek weld so only get it if you have optics mounted way up there. You cannot get down far enough to get a sight picture on low irons like the Auroras with this cheek riser on.

When you look at the installed airsoft riser from behind, you can see that it sits on the classic stock about 1 cm higher than intended. When you see pics of the 55X swiss guns with the factory riser, the top of the riser is a little under 1/4" higher than the lines of the receiver. With this airsoft unit, that top edge is about 1/2" over the lines of the 556 receiver.

Molded into the airsoft unit, are some retention clips. On the classic stock, the rear clip wants to pop right into your recess that keeps it onto the handguard when the stock is folded. I'll see if it can be installed past that recess to drop the height down.

Edited to add: if you avoid getting one of the internal clips to slide onto the recess in the stock, you can get this thing pushed down to the height intended. But the front end of it still needs a lot of material removed to slide over the stock hump.

The easiest way to avoid hours of filing away material is to get a head start by hacksawing some material off of the front of the riser...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts