SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a new pistol, in .45ACP.
I was at Academy Sports the other day, and they carry a Sig Sauer P250 in .45ACP for $559.99. They carry (but did not currently have in stock) a Sig P220, also .45ACP, for $819.99. I know the 250 is a polymer frame gun .... but I am wondering if the difference between the two justifies the $260 difference between the two guns. I am really leaning toward the 220 because while I don't dislike polymer guns (I have a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P40) I would really prefer an all metal gun this time for a .45.
Is the 220 a truly superior gun?
Also, I would be interested in the magazine capacities of both. I might have asked at Academy, but there were other customers hovering and I wasn't there to buy at the time, so I let it go.
Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
P220 is 7+1 or 9+1 with extended mag.

Not sure on P250 - check the website.

My advice would be the P220 - most accurate out of the box all metal .45 cal semi-auto available.

My favorite handgun of the 13 that I own....

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
TommyGunn said:
...Yes...IMO......if you want the best combat handgun in 45 ACP ever produced IMO...i would recomend a West German Sig Sauer P220...accurate...slim...light...well balanced and absolutely reliable ..

...personally...i would avoid the newer U.S. produced Sig Sauer 220s...especially those with the nitron slides...in favor of an all German manufactured and assembled and proofed 220...i would also avoid CPOs and police trade ins and such...

...you can find an "almost" like new West German 220 with the American magazine release for about $600 or so...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The P250 is a nice idea of a modular pistol. The frame is the same no matter what caliber you are shooting. You can interchange between calibers with a barrel,/slide/mag change. I like the idea, however the big drawback for me, and the reason I didn't buy one today when I was picking out a 9mm; is that it is double action only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with the DAO comment. I rented one at the range this past weekend because I like the modularity but the DA really threw off my game. My PX4 9mm was giving me nice, fairly tight groups (getting tighter every time I go!...) while I was hard-pressed keeping the Sig from going right or low right. I imagine the with much practice I would overcome this handicap but I just couldn't get over that DA feel. I was about to sell my PX4 to get one but have since changed my mind. I LOVE my Beretta! :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
I own both the Sig 220 and 250, though the 250 is in 9mm. I have shot it in .45 though. For a .45, the Sig 220 is the only way to go. In my view, there just is no other choice period.

to put it in perspective, when I purchased my Sig 250 9mm, I thought, this was probably the nicest pistol I ever owned. Right out of the box, it was shooting fantastic. Took it to the range and was simply amazed. I then picked up my Sig 220 and emptied a clip and actually found my accuracy was still better with the 220 overall. The Sig .250 .45 is the same way as the 9mm. It is impressive out of the box. But when you compare it to the Sig 220 .45, it just leaves a bit lacking. Both are excellent pistols. Just the 220 a notch better overall.

The balance of the Sig 220 and the way you can get off the 2nd, 3rd, 4th shots, etc.. says it all.

The uniqueness that the Sig 250 gives is, you can change it from a .45 to a .357 sig, to a 9mm to also a .40 I believe.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have stayed away from the 250 because of some things I have read, the feel of the gun and the fact that they aren't selling makes me leery. Other than sheer capacity, 220 all they way. I still love the FNP for maximum 45 can of whoopass. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Zeus said:
I have stayed away from the 250 because of some things I have read, the feel of the gun and the fact that they aren't selling makes me leery. Other than sheer capacity, 220 all they way. I still love the FNP for maximum 45 can of whoopass. :)
The 250 is a pretty nice gun. Out of the box, it is quite accurate and the only ammo I have had any issues with is Wolf. Had several jams. All other ammo fed through without any problems.

Feel of the gun in your hand is actually pretty nice. They have a trigger replacement for those with larger hands. That seems to be a general complaint with the gun is the trigger in general.

I do prefer my 220 overall for accuracy and enjoyment, but my primary concealed carry is my 250 for capacity, a 'slight' size difference, though in reality, there is not that much difference, especially in width, but it is there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The p220 is an amazing pistol. One of the best pistols ever made. The p250 is still a little to new for me to trust it. Plus DAO in anything other than a pocket pistol is stupid. And I do mean true heavy/long DAO not the striker glocko type of DAO. I love my G21! But yeah it's not as good as a 220....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I carried a P220 for duty use for 15 years. I was able to purchase it upon retirement and it still stands guard over my family. I am biased and oppionated; my vote goes to the 220.

If you talk to Charlie at CDNN sports to pick up a good one, definately buy a LE trade in.
Generally carried a lot but shot very little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TommyGunn said:
I'm thinking about a new pistol, in .45ACP.
I was at Academy Sports the other day, and they carry a Sig Sauer P250 in .45ACP for $559.99. They carry (but did not currently have in stock) a Sig P220, also .45ACP, for $819.99. I know the 250 is a polymer frame gun .... but I am wondering if the difference between the two justifies the $260 difference between the two guns. I am really leaning toward the 220 because while I don't dislike polymer guns (I have a Glock 19 and a S&W M&P40) I would really prefer an all metal gun this time for a .45.
Also, I would be interested in the magazine capacities of both. I might have asked at Academy, but there were other customers hovering and I wasn't there to buy at the time, so I let it go.
Thanks.
SIG P250 is still good than SIG P220.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have fired both, and own two 220's, and in my opinion, you will be happier in the long run with the 220.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I did it!! Happy Father's Day to me! After long deliberation and a slow cash flow, along with a healthy dose of advice from Master Ullie, I picked up my West German (1985) Sig P220 .45! It is so pretty! Once it gets below 100 degrees I can go shoot it! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts