SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about this little guy? It comes in Nitron and two-tone. http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=67&productid=265
IMO it should have been designed with the classic checkered grip instead.

It looks like a knockoff of the old Colt Mustang. I never really considered a .380 to be enough cartridge to count on. I am beginning to rethink it though. I have been impressed looking at the ballistics reports on some of the new .380 defensive rounds coming out, particularly the Federal HST.

I really have a thing for Sig Sauer pistols. This looks like a lot better quality than the Ruger LCP, Keltec type offerings. I would also like to fire some of those small Kahr models. The P239 is a little too heavy and hard to conceal in summer clothing, i.e. shorts and a t-shirt. In a pocket holster I could slip this little guy into a cargo shorts pocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
It does look like the product of reverse engineering a Colt.

I like my bersa thunder 380 for that class of carry. It always has Federal Hydroshock in stow.

What's going on with all 380acp producers? 4 shops in my area are completely sold out of all makes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are small enough for petite womens hands and have very little recoil, they are sparse around here as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Nra-Life-Member said:
It's a nice looking 380. I believe I read somewhere that Sig purchased the rights to make this pistol from Colt..
Been doing some research, and read that Sig acquired the patent for the Mustang and tweaked it.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
824 Posts
There is another thread going on, where the general consensus is that the P238 is a problem in terms of reliability.

I'm curious how many people on the board have one, and have had no problems.

I truly believe that SIG (despite recent QC problems), knows how to build guns, so I am tempted.

Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I have a friend in Texas that swears by it for concealed carry. The groupings seemed pretty impressive for a self-defense distance. One thing you might want to consider is that .380 is pretty scare right now though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I have seen several of them at local shops and they seem to not stay around very long. They are well made and fit/finish is great but IMHO, the stock triggers suck big time. I'm sticking with my 232.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
...the 238 is similar...but not identical to the Colt Mustang !

...and it certainly isn't a SIG design...kinda a bastard child IMO...

..aside from the design...i personally would not consider carrying a 380 with only ~ 1.7 inches of usuable barrel length...you are going to loose 100 fps or more in muzzle velosity on an already margional defensive cartrage...you need at least a little over 2 inches to develope a reasonable velosity...with a total barrel length of ~ 3.2 inches...preferably a little more...

...i would pass on this "curosity" big time...there are better options out there...

...my 2 cents...
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
824 Posts
ullie said:
...and it certainly isn't a SIG design...
Ullie,

I agree it does not look like SIG. Any ideas where the design came from? Was it a purchased design, or was it developed for SIG under contract to an outside firm?

Is there any truth to the rumor that it was licensed from Colt?

Art
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
7art said:
I agree it does not look like SIG. Any ideas where the design came from? Was it a purchased design, or was it developed for SIG under contract to an outside firm?
...Art

...the 238 is basically a Colt Mustang with some minor design changes...the differences can easily be seen when comparing the schematic drawings ...both are attempts to scale down a 1911...not very sucessfully !

7art said:
Is there any truth to the rumor that it was licensed from Colt?
...i have no idea if Colt still own's any rights to the design ???...don't know...lot's of 1911 clones out there...and some wannabes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
I actually like the way it looks BUT when I was shooting my son's a few weeks back, many times the slide didn't cycle back all the way. Not a limp wrist problem, maybe ammo, maybe just needs to break in. Less than a hundred rounds in it so maybe it will work it out. He's going to change ammo and give it a good cleaning. I'll stick with my Defender for carry (45acp)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
ullie said:
...the 238 is similar...but not identical to the Colt Mustang !

...and it certainly isn't a SIG design...kinda a bastard child IMO...

..aside from the design...i personally would not consider carrying a 380 with only ~ 1.7 inches of usuable barrel length...you are going to loose 100 fps or more in muzzle velosity on an already margional defensive cartrage...you need at least a little over 2 inches to develope a reasonable velosity...with a total barrel length of ~ 3.2 inches...preferably a little more...

...i would pass on this "curosity" big time...there are better options out there...

...my 2 cents...
I normally treat your advice as biblical, but there's one caveat to this...

Not to put too fine a point on it: I am often dressed with a tucked-in shirt, as it is appropriate for some work and personal life scenarios. I can carry my P229 inside or outside of the belt with a dinner/suit jacket on, but if I am obliged to hug someone or constantly sit down and stand up, it's inconvenient, and more importantly: I feel like I can't properly conceal it.

I am eyeballing the P238 as a backup. My P229 can stay in my vehicle or in a satchel, and the P238 can stay in my pocket or inside the pants via hook holster. As it stands, I rarely carry when I'm gussied up. Having a decently reliable and accurate pea shooter is better than none at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
txshurricane said:
I am eyeballing the P238 as a backup. My P229 can stay in my vehicle or in a satchel, and the P238 can stay in my pocket or inside the pants via hook holster. As it stands, I rarely carry when I'm gussied up. Having a decently reliable and accurate pea shooter is better than none at all.
Have you considered a Ruger LCP? It's basically the same size as the 238 but is much lighter and 1/2 the price. It's DAO but I honestly think the trigger is better than any of the 238's I have handled. I have close to 500 rounds through my LCP and have yet to have any issues. In fact, it shoots extremely well at 7 yards and not bad at all out to 15. Just a thought.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
txshurricane said:
I am eyeballing the P238 as a backup. Having a decently reliable and accurate pea shooter is better than none at all.
...txshurricane

...i know what you mean about concealing your weapon...i feel the same way...i've carred a Walther PPK now for well over three decades and highly recomend one...either a German model or an Interarms...it's only a little more than 4 ounces heavier than a 238 with the standard PPK magazine...about 1/2 inch longer...something you'll never notice...the same height...but a little more slim at slightly less than 1 inch wide...more importantly though...it has a barrel length of 84mm...or about 3.3 inches...giving you ~2.3 inches of usuable barrel versus the ~1.7 inches of the 238...providing you with a significant increase in velosity and terminal performance....

...i have owned several PPKs over the years and they have been utterly reliable once broken in...and they are virtually indestructable and "safe" when carrier with a round in the chamber...i currently have an Interarms PPK in stainless that i've carried since 1991...and it's been everywhere...i fire it at least once a year and it has never missed a beat...

...i would check out a PPK before making up your mind...it's a solid performer...it may fill your need...

...just a heads up...i would avoid the Smith and Wesson models...and go with an Interarms in stainless...should you consider buying one...

...just my thoughts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Good evening, txshurricane.

txshurricane said:
I am eyeballing the P238 as a backup. My P229 can stay in my vehicle or in a satchel, and the P238 can stay in my pocket or inside the pants via hook holster. As it stands, I rarely carry when I'm gussied up. Having a decently reliable and accurate pea shooter is better than none at all.
If you really want to purchase a P238 after doing some Internet searches to see how other folks are enjoying (sarcasm intended) their P238's, you may want to at least purchase a P238 from a dealer who will issue you a full refund (without charging you restocking fees and other such nonsense) in case you discover that the P238 isn't what you thought it would be. It's something to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
KB said:
Have you considered a Ruger LCP? It's basically the same size as the 238 but is much lighter and 1/2 the price. It's DAO but I honestly think the trigger is better than any of the 238's I have handled. I have close to 500 rounds through my LCP and have yet to have any issues. In fact, it shoots extremely well at 7 yards and not bad at all out to 15. Just a thought.
ullie said:
...txshurricane

...i know what you mean about concealing your weapon...i feel the same way...i've carred a Walther PPK now for well over three decades and highly recomend one...either a German model or an Interarms...it's only a little more than 4 ounces heavier than a 238 with the standard PPK magazine...about 1/2 inch longer...something you'll never notice...the same height...but a little more slim at slightly less than 1 inch wide...more importantly though...it has a barrel length of 84mm...or about 3.3 inches...giving you ~2.3 inches of usuable barrel versus the ~1.7 inches of the 238...providing you with a significant increase in velosity and terminal performance....

...i have owned several PPKs over the years and they have been utterly reliable once broken in...and they are virtually indestructable and "safe" when carrier with a round in the chamber...i currently have an Interarms PPK in stainless that i've carried since 1991...and it's been everywhere...i fire it at least once a year and it has never missed a beat...

...i would check out a PPK before making up your mind...it's a solid performer...it may fill your need...

...just a heads up...i would avoid the Smith and Wesson models...and go with an Interarms in stainless...should you consider buying one...

...just my thoughts...
KB and ullie - it's not near so much a need per se, as it is a want...with an ulterior purpose. If I am ever in the position to absolutely need a handgun for self defense, I would simply carry my tried-and-true P229.

In full disclosure: the P238 just appeals to me, and also happens to be useful in the way that I described earlier.

Lisa said:
Good evening, txshurricane.

If you really want to purchase a P238 after doing some Internet searches to see how other folks are enjoying (sarcasm intended) their P238's, you may want to at least purchase a P238 from a dealer who will issue you a full refund (without charging you restocking fees and other such nonsense) in case you discover that the P238 isn't what you thought it would be. It's something to consider.

Hi, Lisa, and thanks. I have indeed been reading about your woes. I don't know of any dealers that offer full refunds. Aside from that, my limited experiences with Sig's customer service have all been literally stellar. I would trust Sig to make the situation right before a retailer would. If all else fails, I have only myself to blame for a bad firearm purchase.

Also: pretty much all of my 'net research comes up all positive. The only exceptions are your story, and another gentleman on YouTube who used Blazer aluminum cartridges and got a slug stuck in the barrel. Of course, I don't shoot competitively or anything like that. 300 rds a year for fun, 7 in the center mass for defense.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
ullie said:
...i would check out a PPK before making up your mind...it's a solid performer...it may fill your need...
txshurricane said:
- it's not near so much a need per se, as it is a want...with an ulterior purpose. If I am ever in the position to absolutely need a handgun for self defense, I would simply carry my tried-and-true P229.
...so much get's lost with the written word...doesn't it ! ...by my saying that "it may fill your need"...i'm suggesting that a PPK is suitable for concealed carry...when you so desire...because of it's size and reliability...

...personally...i wouldn't even consider a 238...or Colt Mustang for that matter...as a backup or concealed carry weapon...in my opinion it's would be a poor choice...

...just my 1 1/2 cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Good morning, txshurricane

txshurricane said:
Lisa said:
If you really want to purchase a P238 after doing some Internet searches to see how other folks are enjoying (sarcasm intended) their P238's, you may want to at least purchase a P238 from a dealer who will issue you a full refund (without charging you restocking fees and other such nonsense) in case you discover that the P238 isn't what you thought it would be. It's something to consider.

Hi, Lisa, and thanks. I have indeed been reading about your woes. I don't know of any dealers that offer full refunds. Aside from that, my limited experiences with Sig's customer service have all been literally stellar. I would trust Sig to make the situation right before a retailer would. If all else fails, I have only myself to blame for a bad firearm purchase.

Also: pretty much all of my 'net research comes up all positive. The only exceptions are your story, and another gentleman on YouTube who used Blazer aluminum cartridges and got a slug stuck in the barrel. Of course, I don't shoot competitively or anything like that. 300 rds a year for fun, 7 in the center mass for defense.


In this case, the only thing left for me to do is wish you nothing but success and happiness with your new P238. May you not encounter any of the unpleasantness my P238's have brought me.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top