SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

P556 upper or chop?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been tinkering with the idea of either trading my 556XI swat upper for a P556 upper or chop down the barrel. I’ve always liked the traditional 553 look but the dough though so I’m going poor’s route, even though sourcing hard to find parts is a little time consuming.
Does anybody have both shorties and what’s your thought? Pro’s and con’s?
Also if you have a P556 upper and would entertain trading for a 556XI upper, let’s trade feet pics in pm’s.
What I have:
Plant Branch Trigger Wood Air gun

What I want:
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Alternative:
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
391 Posts
I hope this doesn't discourage your dream build in the least. However, a couple of things to keep in mind;
1. Unfortunately you are not able to simply swap an Xi upper onto a 556 lower. 556 lowers have an extra bridge at the front of the receiver that needs to be machined down in order to fit. Anyone trading you would need to be aware of this extra step/expense.
2. If chopping your Xi barrel-- you will need to resize your gas ports for proper function.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If what you really want is the shorty and your not concerned with future authenticity and or resale value,I'd say chop it.ad a wicked muzzle device and bask in its glory. I'm also not so sure about having to do anything to the gas plug.i think you'd be ok.just test for reliability and if any hiccups enlarging the two little gas ports just a hair is not exactly rocket science as many will believe. Good luck and be well brother. Go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts