SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay picking up a Sig 556 er finally . I know I need to get some stuff for it to make it the rifle I want it to be.

The only thing I'm sure of right now is getting a set of Sig551 style handguards.

Iron sights what is everyone running ? Is the Front Sig Iron sight able to run with any rear buis or do I need to replace it. Optics I will probably put on down the road and most likely a Eotech, Aimpoint or other red dot sight.

Front takedown pin, I hear alot about people replacing these. Who makes a good one.

Stocks I'm looking at a folding stock from ACE to replace the collapsible one on it right now.

Thanks for any recommendations guys. If I missed anything or if there are issues I should look for please lmk.

Thanks,
Matty

·
Registered
112 Posts
matty the Sig front sight will not (unless they've come out with a new sight I'm unfamiliar with) work with regular AR BUIS.

So you've got some choices -
1. Replace the front sight with a folding sight for Samson or Midwest Industries - these will allow you to use AR rear sights.

2. Use a rear sight like the Sig Diopter or Aurora Diopter.

I went with option 2 for my 1st 556 and for my 2nd I'll go with the 1st option as I've got the short piston Sig and I want to minimize space spent when I convert it to an SBR later this year. I'm actually a very big fan of the diopter so I don't think you HAVE to replace it unless you just want to.

I had the HOLO model so my stock was already folding but I did put a Magpul CTR stock on it. VERY NICE. I really like it.

Regarding optics, man the sky's the limit. Find one you like. I've actually been really intrigued by a few new ones that are on the market but I think I'll probably bite the bullet and get 2 Aimpoint Micro's.

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy your rifle! You're going to love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

So far I've gotten an Ace folding stock with the block that doesnt stick out as much. Ordered a KNS pin, got a set of the Swiss handguards from the seller of the rifle and looking at getting a KZ Sig Sauer 556 charging handle.

Sights still kicking around the diopter set or a Sampson front and LMT fixed rear buis or other. I might just keep this rifle a basic "Kiss Rifle" for now.

If I put an optic on it now, I would probably use an Eotech and just leave the stock front and rear buis on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts