SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
It is a 556 Sig USA rear diopter. The listing title is incorrect. Most likely on purpose, to pop up in more searches.
Man, that escalated quickly! And Im used to HK prices! I was in until $370 but that seemed crazy. Would a WTB post on this forum be effective? They’re super helpful on HKPro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
A WTB post would likely serve you well.

I am glad you didn't go for it. That is the most I've ever seen one of those bring. The market is undoubtedly different now, than it was, but that seems pretty wild even still. There is another one on GB right now, which includes the front sight as well. I sold a couple of those rear diopters last year for $100 each, I think. Needless to say, I would have done better to sell them now! They are certainly worth, between $100 and $200, if you consider how intricate they are, and compare them to something like a nice AR rear sight. $250+ is too much, in my opinion. I'd just settle for the rear popsicle, if that's what you're gonna have to shell out for the diopter. $380 is a good chunk of some actual clone work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Finally got some time to mess with the rifle-took off the right side selector lever-stock still will not lock shut. I removed the 614 piece (clasp snapped in stock) and I was able to lock it on the nubbin on the hand guard once it was out of the stock. However, there seems no way the 614 clasp piece seem like it will latch snd fit back in the stock-basically, either the nubbin is too short or the 614 piece is is too short and doesnt stick out of the stock enough. Either one is out of spec or they were not meant to be used together. Im now utterly confused. See pics below-also I missed that DGBR13 had a sight set so I reached out to him to get that hopefully.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That stock is the "Swiss Style" that was optional on the later 556's and came on 556XI's. I think the issue might be that it's not able to engage properly with the fishgill because the fishgill was made for a different style setup. A swap to classic or real Swiss handguard would fix things

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That stock is the "Swiss Style" that was optional on the later 556's and came on 556XI's. I think the issue might be that it's not able to engage properly with the fishgill because the fishgill was made for a different style setup. A swap to classic or real Swiss handguard would fix things
Will a real Swiss handguard work? Ive heard that they wont fit unless chopped down?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, you have a 556P which is an odd length that does not match any swiss pattern. JMAC sells (or sold) the front adapter plate you need and then cut down the front of a Swiss hg to match. SIG 552/556 HG Retainer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Man, I was just hoping to use the fish gill and move on down the road. I liked the look of it and just wanted to get the stock to latch. If I knew the Swiss cut down would work Id give it a try but I really dont want to open a can of worms. I have an email out to the Sig custom shop to see if they had any suggestion.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have an email out to the Sig custom shop to see if they had any suggestion.
They washed their hands of this platform several years back.

The only pause on the swiss handguards is that you have the non-Swiss made stock (either was made in the US or Israel...jury is out). Should work fine but 100% the real Swiss parts do

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
If I get my hands on the Swiss stock does that have a prayer of working with the fish gills? Im almost ready to remove the clasp and just super glue it in the stock at the correct depth.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That would be likely be the better option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Okay thanks for the info, Ive been looking on GB-how do I determine if which is the original Swiss stock? Is the a date code or other identifying mark?

·
Registered
593 Posts
The newest ones have date codes inside but no maker's marks (just got one from JDI). The early ones are marked Weidman and the later ones marked Allemann-Agch.

The simplest way to tell is that the real Swiss ones have two slits in the knuckle where you put the pin through the lower. If it doesn't have those, it's not Swiss-made. SigSauer called them "Swiss Stock" and then the one you have was called the "Swiss Style Stock" and believe it was made for them by CAA in Israel. SIG SG553 Pistol - Possible SBR candidate? - AR15.COM

·
Registered
29 Posts
The newest ones have date codes inside but no maker's marks (just got one from JDI). The early ones are marked Weidman and the later ones marked Allemann-Agch.

The simplest way to tell is that the real Swiss ones have two slits in the knuckle where you put the pin through the lower. If it doesn't have those, it's not Swiss-made. SigSauer called them "Swiss Stock" and then the one you have was called the "Swiss Style Stock" and believe it was made for them by CAA in Israel. SIG SG553 Pistol - Possible SBR candidate? - AR15.COM
JDI is back ordered. So is everyone else

But your stock has the two slits indicating it’s Swiss, doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a Swiss stock that is warped. If your stock is similarly affected, it may be bent in a way that prohibits it from seating on the nub properly. Also, you may be able to shim either side of the clasp, when reinstalling it into the stock. This would serve to increase the clamping force. As previously stated, it should take a good slap to latch it, and a firm yank to unlatch it. If you were able to just click it on and off that nub by hand, it is maybe messed up. I had one break before; yours may have a hairline crack weakening it. Inspect your clasp closely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Im not sure if the stock is Swiss-there is no name of a manufacturer just a “1” and a date wheel with what looks like a “13” in it. Pic blow. I read the ar15.com thread-I missed the part about the slots though-where are those on a Swiss stock? I examined the clasp and there appears to be no cracks. The clasp is simply not able to get the nubbin deep enough inside to have the “jaw” of the clasp grasp the edge molded into the nubbin. If I remove the clasp from the stock it will grip the nubbin very firmly. To me this means either this nubbin was not manufactured tall enough for this stock or the stock’s clasp does not protrude far enough from the stock, meaning to me it was not designed to work with this handguard. As hopefully you can see in the video-even a hard push will not make the stock lock because the nubbin cannot seat deep enough in the clasp.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts