SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking at the picture (screen-captured from a PE90 on GunBroker) you can see a recess in the molding of the stock that appears to match where the safety would be when folded. Does your stock have such a recess?

Here’s a better picture:

Oops, sorry, I went back and looked at your pictures and I can see that your stock does indeed have that recess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My stock is the adjustable stock, but it also has a recess to provide clearance. When locked folded there’s enough clearance that I can easily slip a piece of paper (brown packing paper) between the safety and the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
521 Posts
Either something is wrong, resulting in an outward pressure being exerted on the stock, pushing it off the nub, or his nub and clasp don't fit together right. Another possibility is those fishgill handguards don't protrude the nub out from the receiver as much. I have no experience with fishgills, so I can only speculate. I think changing to a 551 or later 556 handguard would be a good move regardless, as the fishgills are quite ugly, IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Either something is wrong, resulting in an outward pressure being exerted on the stock, pushing it off the nub, or his nub and clasp don't fit together right. Another possibility is those fishgill handguards don't protrude the nub out from the receiver as much. I have no experience with fishgills, so I can only speculate. I think changing to a 551 or later 556 handguard would be a good move regardless, as the fishgills are quite ugly, IMO.
You may have hit on the cause. Looking at his post #18, it really looks like the butt pad on his stock is hitting against the swell in the fish gill handguard just ahead of the nubbin.

Sometime I would also like to change my stock and handguard to the Swiss style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, im new here and just got my stamp and made a Sig 556 into a rifle-sooo, noticed 2 problems right off the bat-I need a sig Diopter rear sight-which is nowhere to be found. I have looked on this forum at the alternatives but they seem pretty old and most of the vender websites are gone-any suggestions? Also, mounted my stocked lower and learned that the hole that holds the folded stock to the right side will mate up with the nub on the fish scale hand guard but will not stay locked? Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Thanks, C
I have a set.

It's the rail with built in lollipop sight, front sight and diopter.

$185 shipped.

If interested lmk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sorry, a friend passed away unexpectedly and I dropped off for a few days

I dont think it is the hand guard, as even the rubber butt pad doesnt touch completely when I press together-sadly, it seems like more and more it is the selector lever hitting the recess in the stock but it might not be deep enough. I will test tomorrow by knocking the selector roll pin out and removing the selector lever. If that’s it then is the hinge out of spec and not holding the folded stock away enough? Or the indent part too shallow? Guess I better figure out the selector first. I did call Sig customer service-the man was very nice but didnt know anything on the 556 pistols. He sent and email and asked me to reply with pics and he would send them to someone in the custom shop. Not sure if they can help?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have a set.

It's the rail with built in lollipop sight, front sight and diopter.

$185 shipped.

If interested lmk.
Is it the MFI rail? I was hoping to use my original front sight and buy the Sig diopter rear which just fits on the pic rail. Are those as impossible to find as Im starting to think? Sig rifle parts make Hk parts and accessories look positively overstocked LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry, a friend passed away unexpectedly and I dropped off for a few days

I dont think it is the hand guard, as even the rubber butt pad doesnt touch completely when I press together-sadly, it seems like more and more it is the selector lever hitting the recess in the stock but it might not be deep enough. I will test tomorrow by knocking the selector roll pin out and removing the selector lever. If that’s it then is the hinge out of spec and not holding the folded stock away enough? Or the indent part too shallow? Guess I better figure out the selector first. I did call Sig customer service-the man was very nice but didnt know anything on the 556 pistols. He sent and email and asked me to reply with pics and he would send them to someone in the custom shop. Not sure if they can help?

I’m very sorry for your loss.
If you put a strip of paper between the safety and the stock, is it clamped tightly? On mine the paper strip slides freely when the stock is latched in the folded position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If I try the paper test it holds the paper there but I can pretty easily slide the paper out while the stock is still being held latched

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hey guys, im new here and just got my stamp and made a Sig 556 into a rifle-sooo, noticed 2 problems right off the bat-I need a sig Diopter rear sight-which is nowhere to be found. I have looked on this forum at the alternatives but they seem pretty old and most of the vender websites are gone-any suggestions? Also, mounted my stocked lower and learned that the hole that holds the folded stock to the right side will mate up with the nub on the fish scale hand guard but will not stay locked? Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Thanks, C
Look at your right side safety lever. Is it pushing on the stock?
If that's not it, the clip issue is an old one. some stocks came with crap clips. May have to try different stock.
But look at it this way, when will your stock ever be folded? Only for transportation. So, its not a critical thing. Nice choice on the fish gills, it can take a beating.
If you want to experiment by shaving down the thickness of the clip, and It doesn't work, I have a fish gill for ya.
Just holler at me on coloradofans or KTOG. I don't come here much anymore.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with the previous poster, concerning time spent folded. I seldom fold mine and, when i do, i often don't bother clipping it. But i understand wanting everything to work as it should.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Im waiting for 5 min without a toddler to try to remove the right side safe selector. Reducing the size or thickness of the nubbin intrigues me. I think I am going to try dismounting the lower and trying to replicate my current results as filing the nubbin is a one way trip.

I really did want a firm lock-up just to keep it in normal operating condition-guess it doesnt spend its whole life folded but I do keep it in a deployment bag folded alot.

On the rear diopter-are they just completely rare? Should I abandon hope of finding one in a reasonable amount of time?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Jeez-Im the high bidder but it’s getting HIGH-what’s the usual price on these things?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts