SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im new here and just got my stamp and made a Sig 556 into a rifle-sooo, noticed 2 problems right off the bat-I need a sig Diopter rear sight-which is nowhere to be found. I have looked on this forum at the alternatives but they seem pretty old and most of the vender websites are gone-any suggestions? Also, mounted my stocked lower and learned that the hole that holds the folded stock to the right side will mate up with the nub on the fish scale hand guard but will not stay locked? Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Thanks, C

·
Registered
521 Posts
Unsure what you mean by the stock problem. Perhaps a better description or pictures would help. I am glad to hear you went the SBR route. Not enough people do it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, the folding stock will not lock to the right side. The tab on the fish gill style hand guard does fit the clasp in the stock but then springs back out and will not lock. I will try to figure out how to add pictures. SBR is a snap with eforms now under 30 days.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sounds like either the clasp or the nub on the handguard is worn out. Handguard is easy to remedy by getting another; clasp isn't so easy to get. If working properly, they can actually clip together quite tightly.

·
Registered
29 Posts

This picture shows the clasp (part 614) which is a component in the stock which grabs the little stud. Is it missing from your stock?
Not that I have any idea where to obtain one. You could perhaps get someone to 3D print one if you could get someone to create a file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
614 is there as well as the little nub-however when I stick them together they just pop apart again

QUOTE="Steve Shannon, post: 142191, member: 45341"]

This picture shows the clasp (part 614) which is a component in the stock which grabs the little stud. Is it missing from your stock?
Not that I have any idea where to obtain one. You could perhaps get someone to 3D print one if you could get someone to create a file.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
521 Posts
If the rifle is laying on it's left side, the stock should lay against the gun of it's own accord. There shouldn't be any force "popping" them apart. If part 614 doesn't nestle onto the handguard nub when the gun is on' it's side, there is something else going on. Maybe the stock is warped or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
614 is there as well as the little nub-however when I stick them together they just pop apart again
Can you post good clear closeup pictures of the two parts? Later today I can take a closeup picture of my clasp and maybe we can see if there’s a difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do-Im probably not describing it correctly-the stock does lay against the side of the rifle and the nub on the handguard does nestle into part 614, but when I push the two together for the final lock The nub will go into 614 but then spring out when I let go-ive tried rubber-banding the two together and it holds but just until the rubberband is removed

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think you’re describing it well. As I see it one of the following three things is happening:
1. The latch isn’t working as designed to hold the nubbin (nubbin is okay), or
2. The nubbin isn’t shaped correctly (latch cannot grip it), or
3. Something is exerting force against the stock that overcomes the fit of the latch and nubbin, resulting in the stock popping open.

2 and 3 are easiest for you to rule out. 1 may be obvious from photos. We got over a foot of snow here so I haven’t been out to the man cave yet, but I will after I shovel some white stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The gap in the latch measures at 0.15 inches:

The width of the nubbin is 0.25 inches, so the two springy jaws must spread a total of 0.10 inch to allow the nubbin to be inserted. In mine I have to slap the stock with the heel of my hand to get it to latch.

And the snow between my house and the man cave is 17 inches deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, checked snd my nubin and 614 piece seem spec. Pictures below. However, Im wondering if the right side selector lever is causing the stock to spring apart-see 3rd pic. Okay...I cant post photos its asking for a url...I guess I need to get a photo bucket account after I get the baby to bed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, checked snd my nubin and 614 piece seem spec. Pictures below. However, Im wondering if the right side selector lever is causing the stock to spring apart-see 3rd pic. Okay...I cant post photos its asking for a url...I guess I need to get a photo bucket account after I get the baby to bed.
That would be what my #3 referred to above. That makes sense. Is the right side safety lever original or an upgrade?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks 100% original. I have a Krebs selector for the LEFT side but I have not installed it-im trying to figure out photobucket

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tomorrow I’ll take a look at how my safety fits when my stock is folded and latched.
It feels like we’re getting somewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is my right side selector-100% factory. However, if you see, the 614 part and the nubbin are mis-aligned slightly-could the stock or hinge be out of spec?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe, but it doesn’t look like it’s enough to be the problem. It looks to me like the stock or the receiver are too broad right there, but I don’t know enough about the differences between the 556 with its aluminum receiver and the 551-553 models with sheet metal receivers to know whether their receivers are narrower or if there is a stock that has less material in that area. I may end up not being much help after all.
To be continued tomorrow…

1 - 20 of 64 Posts