SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very interesting, hope it brings the front sight base to the same level as the rail. If it works, it would make sights a lot easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any update or photos showing this dovetail to rail adapter?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just got mine in the mail today. probably gonna order a second for the 556.
I like it. easy no hassle install. Havent gotten a chance to take the 522 out with it yet. But Ill get a field report as soon as I can.

:wink:

·
Registered
75 Posts
The adapter is well made, but it is made out of aluminum. Since it is rather thin (in order to achieve the same height as the receiver rail) it looks a little fragile. It only weighs 0.1 oz, so it should not affect the balance of the rifle. The dimensions of the adapter are shown in the following pictures. The first picture turned out a little dark. The reading on the calipers is 0.256.5 inches. I have not installed the adapter yet, but it appears to me that this could potentially open up a whole new world of sight choices for the SIG 556.

From bottom of dovetail to top of rail

Rail height excluding dovetail

Length of adapter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any updates and/or pics of this mounted?
I'm extremely anxious to see if this little item will open the door for sight choices or not.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also excited at the potential for this little piece of aluminum. No more gunsmith trips to change out the front sight? :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since I don't have a set of BUIS yet, it will probably be a little while before I install my adapter. It appears to fit and look good. The only (minor) concern I have is that it is made out of aluminum. So, it might not be as rugged as the original sight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So, theoretically I could take off the old POS front sight, mount the adapter to the dovetail, and then I could mount the spare TROY flip-up front sight I have. I could then mount the spare MATECH rear sight I have and everything would line-up correctly???
If this is true I'll be ordering one of the adapters ASAP!
(Is the fact that it is aluminum and not as strong as steel reason to not order one? I have spare front and rear sights that I'd like to use on my SIG and this adapter will save me from having to buy a seperate specialty front sight.
Is it worth it?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
BigTony said:
So, theoretically I could take off the old POS front sight, mount the adapter to the dovetail, and then I could mount the spare TROY flip-up front sight I have. I could then mount the spare MATECH rear sight I have and everything would line-up correctly???
If this is true I'll be ordering one of the adapters ASAP!
(Is the fact that it is aluminum and not as strong as steel reason to not order one? I have spare front and rear sights that I'd like to use on my SIG and this adapter will save me from having to buy a seperate specialty front sight.
Is it worth it?)
If I were you I would go for it. The adapter appearing to be weak was just my first impression. Without thinking it through, I expected it to be thicker (which of course it cannot be, because it must be the same height as the receiver rail). The fact that you can use any picatinny mount sight with it is certainly a tremendous plus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, I just pulled the trigger and bougt one off Ebay.
I'll try to post more when it gets here and I have a chance to mount it.
Fingers crossed...............

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got mine, put the Magpul sights on. It looks great but I haven't been to the range yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Reaver, do you have any pics of the adapter w/ sights mounted that you could post?
(I'm still waiting on mine, but I did get a conf. e-mail saying it was shipped...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Big T,
I can try to take some with my phone. I've never posted pics before but I'll try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great forum, awesome information. Thanks to the info I received from here, I can now mount my Magpul front MBUS!

My Magpul Front MBUS mounted on my Sig 556 SWAT. Thanks RB Precision (http://www.rbprecision.com/) for the Sig 556 front sight adopter short rail w/dovetail mount. Now, mounting front sights has become somewhat easier with more possibilities!

More shots!

:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Save your money. This thing is VERY flimsy.

I mounted it, and it looked like a very good fit in the dovetail. Then I tigtened the screw and it nearly pushed the mount straight up right out of the dovetail. I applied a bit, and I mean a very small bit, of pressure to the rail with my thumb, and it bent quite easily.

I would NEVER trust this rail to hold a sight on a rifle I expect to trust my life to. No way.

I took some measurements with my admittedly old vernier caliper. Pay attention to the 1mm measurement. It's just not enough material for an aluminum rail. I'm not even sure it would be sturdy enough if it was made out of steel.

Let's see if I know how to post a pic here. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts