SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help installing my Gemtech Vortex/Bilock for my G5.

I need to remove the flash suppressor of my SIG Classic 556. I tried a wrench--no good. I tried a longer screw driver thru the flash suppressor to increase the torque--no good.

I figure they must have LocTited it on--so I gently heated the flash suppressor with a propane torch--still no good.

I tried heating hotter--LocTite Red needs to get to about 600 degrees to melt--So I heated the flash suppressor until 50/50 solder melted on it and tried a wrench AND long screw driver--STILL NO GOOD! That mofo is on there pretty darnd tight!

I'm to the point of sending it to SIG--but they haven't answered emails or calls, so I'm screwed on that idea, too. I've waited 30 minutes on hold with 7 callers ahead of me...

Can anyone offer some assistance?

Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
easy fix

spray a little WD-40 on it and let it sit over night. Then old stock between your legs and put screw driver through flash hider and twist. Mine came right off after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oy!

Well-it was the full-time job--but after removing the handguards, apply a wrench on the barrel by the receiver & heating forever, the flash suppressor came off--the factory one was heated to gentle orange--I kid you not...

I hope I didn't mess things up on it--will let you know if I did--at least I can use the G5 now! :D

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
zatoichi said:
Oy!

Well-it was the full-time job--but after removing the handguards, apply a wrench on the barrel by the receiver & heating forever, the flash suppressor came off--the factory one was heated to gentle orange--I kid you not...

I hope I didn't mess things up on it--will let you know if I did--at least I can use the G5 now! :D
...if you heated the flash hider to a "gentle orange"...whatever that means...you also heated up the end of your barrel...especially the thinner teaded section / muzzle to possibly between 1500 to 2000 degrees F or more...you "may" have messed up your barrel or destroyed it...i would consult a gunsmith "well versed" in these matters before firing your 556...

... http://www.blksmth.com/heat_colors.htm

... http://www.abana.org/resources/educatio ... uide.shtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts