SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I need some help with a decision. A local gun shop called me today and told me he found me a SCAR 16s FDE for $2300 out the door. These are still hard to come by here in VA, do you guys think this is a good deal. I am also looking at a LMT cqb mrp from another dealer for $1700, (family friend)

I currently own a 556 swat and COMPLETELY LOVE IT! For all the negatives I heard about the gun in my research, I am more than happy I made the decision to buy it. I also took a liking to the SCAR during research and handling one, and thought I would like to get one one day, it just happens the opportunity came up sooner then later.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SCAR

$2,300 is a great price, if it is Unblemished, Blemished ones run as low as $2,000. The Blemished ones didn't have all the cutting oils cleaned off before anodozing causing discoloration around some of the receiver holes, some are mild and some are pretty pronounced, some actually look like a 2 tone tan camo. Personally, I would go for the blemished one and use the saved cash for optics.
If you get a SCAR, my opinion is to get rid of the PWS Compensator, Very Loud, and any one to your sides will feel the concussion of your rounds going off, works great as a compensator, but you pay the price in loudness and concussion.
Military issued uses an ACME Thread Yankee Hill style Flashhider, ie. similiar to the SIG SWAT 556 Flashhider.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Best price I can find on an unblemished FDE is $2295+ 3% CC fee (this is out of state so no tax). $2300/shipped is a great deal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
BUY IT!

You have a chance to own the weapon of the future before our own military command structure decides to issue it to all units and troops.

I own three. Awesome rifle, accurate, solid, very well-built, in short, the BEST. You never regret buying the best....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jumpman23 said:
Hey everybody,

I need some help with a decision. A local gun shop called me today and told me he found me a SCAR 16s FDE for $2300 out the door. These are still hard to come by here in VA, do you guys think this is a good deal. I am also looking at a LMT cqb mrp from another dealer for $1700, (family friend)

I currently own a 556 swat and COMPLETELY LOVE IT! For all the negatives I heard about the gun in my research, I am more than happy I made the decision to buy it. I also took a liking to the SCAR during research and handling one, and thought I would like to get one one day, it just happens the opportunity came up sooner then later.

:arrow:

GET IT !!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I guess I would have to ask a few questions first. Are you a collector? Do you currently own a military style rifle similar to the SCAR in the same caliber? Do you have lots of cash to throw around? If you have lots of cash or are a collector then it's a no brainer, get it. If you already have a 556 or AR you have to ask yourself, "What is the rifle going to do for me that my other rifle can't?" If the answer is nothing, except look cooler or it's tacti-cool flat dark earth, which most guys will never use because they will never see a desert, then I would pass. It's a great gun but if it doesn't serve a purpose other than showing it off to the guys at the range, that's an expensive show and tell toy. Good luck in your decision :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
While I like the SCAR a lot, and would love to have one (at the right price point, mind) I have to agree with Zeus - If the rifle does nothing more than look cooler than what you currently own, then give it a miss. A SCAR-H, on the other hand...

·
Registered
106 Posts
LebbenB said:
While I like the SCAR a lot, and would love to have one (at the right price point, mind) I have to agree with Zeus - If the rifle does nothing more than look cooler than what you currently own, then give it a miss. A SCAR-H, on the other hand...
:arrow: :arrow:

I totally disagree !

With that reasoning, if you had a 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&W, etc. semiauto you wouldn't get another because it would duplicate what you already have and what it's intended for.

The fact is that's true ! How many of us purchase out of pure need?

Most of us are enthusiast and collectors and have many things we don't need.

If you buy right and sell right you should loose little on your hobby.

Guns are a hobby, for most of us, not a necessity. Thank GOD !
I enjoy collecting even though I don't need it. I also enjoy shooting every now and then - targets.

If you want it, for whatever reason, you can afford it, it adds to your collection, you would enjoy possesing it, and the price is right { and it is ! } then get it.

With guns, gold, coins, etc. you can always sell if you get tired of it.
If you bought right and sell right , you shouldn't loose much! The cost of the collection is the difference of the buy price and the sell price !!!!!

Personally, I will never know, if I buy something, I usually keep it, even if I don't use it. I just enjoy possesing what I have dreamt about.

The joy is in the wanting and finaly getting. My wife will collect on my possesions when I die. If she is smart, she will sell right, if she is dumb and ancious-sp she won't but at that point I will be beyond carring.

GET IT !

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Jumpman23 said:
...in my opinion the SCAR is the "very best" of the "new breed" of assualt type rifles...by far...i would buy it...

...IMO...everyone should own a 556 carbine...a SCAR...and an AR... :wink: ...with a FAL thrown in for good measure... :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
With that reasoning, if you had a 9mm, 45acp, 40 S&W, etc. semiauto you wouldn't get another because it would duplicate what you already have and what it's intended for.
You miss my point. The OP already has a rifle that's very similiar to a SCAR - a 556. And he's debating on dropping $2300 on a SCAR. I don't know what his personal economic situation is; not everyone has the financial wherewithal to go out and buy on a whim.

That the SCAR isn't a great rifle, isn't up for debate. It's a fine, fine rifle and I was fortunate enough to be issued one. Likewise, I've bought some pretty pricey rifles/pistols/shotguns in my life. But to buy a rifle that, at the end of the day, is simply a variation on a theme and pay a high premium to do so doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially since the price will be lower in 6 -12 months. And I'm also waiting to see how well FNH will support the civilian purchasers of the SCAR (ie, spare parts, add-on peripherals, additional barrels, etc)

Leb

·
Registered
106 Posts
LebbenB said:
You miss my point. The OP already has a rifle that's very similiar to a SCAR - a 556. And he's debating on dropping $2300 on a SCAR. I don't know what his personal economic situation is; not everyone has the financial wherewithal to go out and buy on a whim.

That the SCAR isn't a great rifle, isn't up for debate. It's a fine, fine rifle and I was fortunate enough to be issued one. Likewise, I've bought some pretty pricey rifles/pistols/shotguns in my life. But to buy a rifle that, at the end of the day, is simply a variation on a theme and pay a high premium to do so doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially since the price will be lower in 6 -12 months. And I'm also waiting to see how well FNH will support the civilian purchasers of the SCAR (ie, spare parts, add-on peripherals, additional barrels, etc)

Leb
Yes !
I do understand your point of view. It's just not tyhe only one ou there.
I am a collector as much or more than a shooter.
Bothour point have merit.

Tom

·
Registered
106 Posts
tombirdman said:
LebbenB said:
:arrow: :arrow:

I totally disagree !

The fact is that's true ! How many of us purchase out of pure need?

Most of us are enthusiast and collectors and have many things we don't need.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Despite what you say, I think it is a minority view.

The gun market would be dead if what you say is true !
That's the beauty of a free market economy. You can spend your money on whatever you want.

And I never said I didn't want one. I said that at the current price, given that there are several comparable choices available that do the same thing, the SCAR-L isn't the best buy right now. That's not only based on price, but availability of spare parts, additional barrels, and aftermarket support. Those things will come with time, I'm pretty certain. But they're not here now. So my advice/opinion is to wait. If that puts me in the minority, so be it. It's a (semi) free country, after all.

Leb

·
Registered
106 Posts
LebbenB said:
Despite what you say, I think it is a minority view.

The gun market would be dead if what you say is true !
That's the beauty of a free market economy. You can spend your money on whatever you want.

And I never said I didn't want one. I said that at the current price, given that there are several comparable choices available that do the same thing, the SCAR-L isn't the best buy right now. That's not only based on price, but availability of spare parts, additional barrels, and aftermarket support. Those things will come with time, I'm pretty certain. But they're not here now. So my advice/opinion is to wait. If that puts me in the minority, so be it. It's a (semi) free country, after all.

Leb
No argument !

Your Right !

Tom

·
Registered
524 Posts
for that price range, you might as well add a 308 battle rifle to your collection. Scar should only be 1799. Scarzilla should be 2299. Just my 2 pesos tho.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lenardlex said:
I would expect the price on the SCAR 16 to drop now that the military cancelled it.
Only time will tell. I still think it is a great gun. Apparently the military needs them more in 308 than 223.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lenardlex said:
I would expect the price on the SCAR 16 to drop now that the military cancelled it.
They didn't exactly cancel it, they put it on the back burner for the 17 in 308.

There is a good explanation of it on the FN Forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts