SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought you sig guys might be interested... here are two pictures of my SBR'd 556 classic. the barrel length used was chosen to roughly approximate the 551's length once the flash hider is installed.

here's the gun - it'll be test fired tonight, and hopefully i'll be able to refinish the upper this weekend.

the lower and gas block have already been refinished. here is a pic of the color, though it's kinda hard to tell because the picture is shitty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hrgrisso said:
very nice rifle! So what is the result of the barrel length now? What about 14?
yeah, the 551's are listed as 14.5", but that's with the flash hider included since they are machined as one.

i had the barrel cut and threded at about 13.125" - 13.25". with the A2 flash hider installed it's roughly 14.5". and that's what i was shooting for; something close to original 551 length.

i had stripped the barrel from my receiver several months back and sent it off to ADCO, who turned it back around in just a few short days. i've used them to do barrel work in the past (maybe 5 or 6 times now), and they've always met or exceeded my expectations. naturally, they were the choice for my Sig barrel.

·
Registered
701 Posts
How much more handy does it feel now?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Accomplice said:
How much more handy does it feel now?
that's something i'm always surprised about. you always think, "...well, it's just a couple inches. how much can it possibly matter?"

it's not noticeably lighter, but it does handle quicker, and it looks much better. i wish i had a chance to take it through a class before and after, but, no such luck.

it'll make the most difference if and when i decide to put a can on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dwhitehorne said:
Could you take a picture of where the barrel and the flash hider meet. I'm curious to see what ADCO does about the barrel taper behind the flash hider. Thanks, David
i'm sure they can make a tapered collar to mimic the original, but i didn't bother. i just had it cut and threaded, and i'm using an A2 with a crush washer. let me see if i have a pic...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Man, I can't stop looking at that thing-they sure look better with shorter barrels. I'm chomping at the bit right now while the wizards at ADCO chop and refinish mine. It'll be about 1.5" longer I guess. That finish you used looks good. Is that one you did yourself at home?

You can kind of tell how different the shorties handle by the way the one in this video moves around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruxB-Y8PCE

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Accomplice said:
Man, I can't stop looking at that thing-they sure look better with shorter barrels. I'm chomping at the bit right now while the wizards at ADCO chop and refinish mine. It'll be about 1.5" longer I guess. That finish you used looks good. Is that one you did yourself at home?

You can kind of tell how different the shorties handle by the way the one in this video moves around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruxB-Y8PCE
yeah, it's durabake. i've used it a couple times to refinish guns (two AK's, a beat-to-bejeebus ruger MK1, and an AR lower that i KB'd and had to weld to make useable again...) as long as you prep well, the coating goes on uniform and is VERY hard after bake.

i wanted to have the upper done this weekend, but the needed welding now has it on hold. :cry:

you'll like the shorter gun. as i said before, it always seems to make a bigger difference than "just a few inches". i don't own a single AR that's longer than 11.5" anymore because of how much better they handle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts