SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating an SBR project on my 556 Patrol SWAT I picked up a few months ago. I think I'm about a month away from pulling the trigger on this so I've started my homework, making contacts etc.

I contacted a local smith who's got a great, national rep (not on Sigs). He said he definetly had time for it, and when I asked about cost estimate this is the response that I got back.

I don't. A custom fixture would need to be made, since we can't just "pop out" the bbl on those things.
Does this sound right? Never having done an SBR of any kind, let along a 556 is this reasonable or is is something I should keep looking for in regards to a smith.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the barrels certainly can be removed, but it's a PITA and will likely necessitate refinishing the receiver after (because of how the tool grips it).

why SBR a patrol model, when you can SBR a pistol version instead? it'll get you the same length without requiring the barrel to be removed / cut / threaded / re-installed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because I bought a patrol model for less than the pistol was selling for so I've already got it. :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
sbr a patrol rifle

i would send it to some who has the tools and expertise to remove the barrel. you only have one chance to do it correctly. if you don't have the proper receiver and barrel wrench you can damage the receiver quickly.
if they cut the barrel to the min. length and mess the threading up.
then you get to buy a new barrel.

there are several things to think about .
1. do you want a classic lower, or can you live with an M4 style stock?
if an M4 style stock is ok, then it is less expencive to sbr a pistol.
2. how short do you want the barrel to be?
with the patrol rifle you get the classic lower and get to deceide how long the finished barrel will be.
3. if overall cost is important, the least expencive way is to sbr a pistol,
buy stock assy. and do the form 1.
i went the pistol route, the patrol rifle was not out yet.
i bought two 556, one a classic swat, the other a 556p.
i swaped the lowers, classic on the sbr and M4 style on the swat.
i put a swiss 550 stock on the sbr and a magpul prs on the swat.
i am very happy.
good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so if its a matter of finding someone with experience removing the barrels and cutting these is there a place highly recommended?

·
Registered
169 Posts
This is what I'm debating at this point also, the easiest....most efficient way to SBR a 556 and do a 552ish commando clone.

If I'm going to go with the 552 handguards and retainer ring, the front end will have to be broken down anyway. I guess I answered my own question.

·
Registered
49 Posts
hrgrisso said:
ok so if its a matter of finding someone with experience removing the barrels and cutting these is there a place highly recommended?
adcofirearms.com just started doing sig work - i've had adco cut, crown, and thread about 1/2 dozen barrels for me to-date (including one 556 barrel) and i've always been very happy with his work.

steve sells a lot of cans and, unlike many local gunsmiths, knows how to *correctly* thread a barrel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads upon ADCO. Email was sent out this AM.

Now I understand I have to get my reciever engraved with my name, city and state etc. for SBR purposes. So I was wondering can I do that before I get the paperwork back from the ATF?

If yes does anyone have an engraver they recommend?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turner looks awesome. Email inbound but may be out of my price range... Thanks for the heads up, they may be the source of a future Swiss style build.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
hrgrisso said:
Turner looks awesome. Email inbound but may be out of my price range... Thanks for the heads up, they may be the source of a future Swiss style build.
Erick will be doing a project for me soon hopefully, he's a great guy and should be able to hook you up pretty decently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts