SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
samnev said:
Any one have any thoughts or shooting experience with the SR 556?
...Sam

...the Ruger SR 556 is just another of the many versions of a DI AR converted to a piston drive operating system....the Ruger SR 556 is very similar to the the other DI converted piston guns...such as the LWRC and LMT...the piston rod or gas piston / tappet combination...drives the weapon by striking a bumper located on top of the carrier...this force is considerably "off axis" relative to the reciever's raceway's axis...not good engineering when the carrier is not captured by a railed raceway...as...for example is the SIG 55x and FNC...the Ruger uses the same AR multi lugged bolt...including the "in face" ejector...in fact...Ruger doesn't seem to have redesigned the bolt at all...look at the bolt shaft...familiar ?...they do...however...seem to have included an O ring to enhance the extractors grip...anyways...

...i would pass !

...Ruger SR 556 BCG with a slightly modified AR carrier...aside from the piston drive...it's pretty much an AR...using the same recoil spring and buffer system and such...it even has the same foward assist !



...some thoughts and pics of the HK 416 and comments on the DI AR conversions...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=6930&start=20
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruger SR 556

Thanks Ullie. I was just wondering about the mechanics of the gun. J&G here in Prescott has ten of them and they aren't selling. There seems to be a bias here against anything Ruger and many haven't forgiven Old Bill for his part in the Gun Ban.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
They have been getting positive reviews on some of the other forums, with the exception of the hardcore Colt guys who refuse to acknowledge that anything other than a Colt can possibly be a good weapon. Lots of good after market upgrades come stock on the Ruger. At least they did their homework and figured out what most people were actually putting on their ARs. Troy quadrail with rail covers, Troy folding BIUS, Hogue Monogrip, 3 PMags - its a pretty good deal for the $1500 street price that they are going for. I've read through a few dozen range reports and so far have yet to see anyone really complaining.

If they make one in 6.8 SPC or .308, I might just have to get one. Don't really need another 5.56 right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Anyone heard of issues with Ruger 556 bolt carrier tilt due to gas system (rear of carrier premature wear due to carrier tilting in raceway) - unlike Sig556, which has bolt fully supported via raceways/grooves ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I looked at one today at first looks they are impressive with all the Troy stuff But I asked about the bolt and got its an AR still small lock up lugs
And the thing seemed cocked to the left as far as sights go. I'm still happy with My Sig 556.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Design

Ive read this plenty'o' times befor as have many of you. If the rifle was designed for the ground up to be a piston op gun then there should be no issue with it being a piston but with ar being a di gun which it was designed to be then converting it to a piston gun you will have issues, I prefer my a.r. to stay the way it was designed, Now I'm sure if you went out and got a SR556 you would be happy, it seems to be a great gun and should any problems arise im sure ruger would get you fixed up. I wouldnt mind having one. Once again though ar's were designed to be d.i so they should stay that way. Still it is a nice gun, you should get it and then compare it with your Sig 556 which im sure u have since your on this forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
Google the following different combinations and look for blogs/forums and also do an image search: "Ruger SR-556" or "gas piston AR" plus add on to either phrase "bolt tilt." Apparently when an AR bolt carrier is struck with a piston its yaws slightly making it hit the insides of the buffer tube as it recoils and then scrape the hell out of it. I do not know long-term how this will affect the service or the accuracy of the rifle but it does not look good. This goes back to what others posted about capturing the bolt carrier via rails or other such means. I even read on some blogs of some bolt carriers with cam rollers in the works to stop this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
As many have said, if you want a piston gun, get one designed and engineered that way, like the ....drum roll please........Sig556. I don't have any experience with an AR15 piston conversion. And before my Sig, I really contemplated an LWRC, LMT, and CMMG piston AR. However, thanks to the Sigarms556.com , AR15.com, and m4carbine.net forums, I learned that if I do get an AR, I should stick with Stoner's design. So, I bought a Stag and own my Sig556. Both rifles shoot better than I do. And, both serve specific defensive purposes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
My Ruger is O.K. I wouldnt really depend on it though. (Not sure why,it performs very well) I have about 2k rounds through it with no problems. Its just a piston driven AR IMO. If you want one wait till they go on sale. I think it will be soon as they are not selling very well nationwide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Recently got an sr556 rifle. Only have a couple hundred rounds through it so far. Really like the feel and function, they have it set up nicely right outa the box. As with anything anymore, time will tell, we'll se if they got this deal right or not......should have several hundred more rounds through it over the next couple months. Ran about half with an aac can on it now. One case rim broke off, wolf ammo, which was rod'd out to get back in business (*having had this happen before with this ammo in different rifles, I kept rod handy). It shoots as good or better than other ar's or sig 556's I've had, has a different feel/recoil to it and has a slight amount of foward weight (hvy'r barrel) compared to m4 w/thin barrel and bit less weight than sig's 556 (of which I've had 2).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SR 556 VS SIG 556

Got to shoot my friends SR 556. With all the goodies attached it seems to me to be about the same weight as the original SIG 556' But to me my SIG 556 with CTR stock and 551 handguards is handier and lighter.
The Ruger seem a bit more accurate than my 556 especially with lighter projos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Muad'dib said:
Google the following different combinations and look for blogs/forums and also do an image search: "Ruger SR-556" or "gas piston AR" plus add on to either phrase "bolt tilt." Apparently when an AR bolt carrier is struck with a piston its yaws slightly making it hit the insides of the buffer tube as it recoils and then scrape the hell out of it. I do not know long-term how this will affect the service or the accuracy of the rifle but it does not look good. This goes back to what others posted about capturing the bolt carrier via rails or other such means. I even read on some blogs of some bolt carriers with cam rollers in the works to stop this problem.
This is no problem ! All ARs do it. They soon settle in, even the op rod ones. No Problem = Ever !
This is often quoted but never ever been a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
I wish Sig went with the Troy parts we all love!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Re: SR 556 VS SIG 556

samnev said:
Got to shoot my friends SR 556. With all the goodies attached it seems to me to be about the same weight as the original SIG 556' But to me my SIG 556 with CTR stock and 551 handguards is handier and lighter.
The Ruger seem a bit more accurate than my 556 especially with lighter projos.
.




I have a sig 556 Swat, Ruger SR556, FN SCAR, Older Bushmaster custom with 11.5 " barrel + others. I like everything


















If you want to open the pictures up and go to my picture page, just double click the pictures.


Tom


.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
ullie said:
samnev said:
Any one have any thoughts or shooting experience with the SR 556?
...Sam

...the Ruger SR 556 is just another of the many versions of a DI AR converted to a piston drive operating system....the Ruger SR 556 is very similar to the the other DI converted piston guns...such as the LWRC and LMT...the piston rod or gas piston / tappet combination...drives the weapon by striking a bumper located on top of the carrier...this force is considerably "off axis" relative to the reciever's raceway's axis...not good engineering when the carrier is not captured by a railed raceway...as...for example is the SIG 55x and FNC...the Ruger uses the same AR multi lugged bolt...including the "in face" ejector...in fact...Ruger doesn't seem to have redesigned the bolt at all...look at the bolt shaft...familiar ?...they do...however...seem to have included an O ring to enhance the extractors grip...anyways...

...i would pass !

...Ruger SR 556 BCG with a slightly modified AR carrier...aside from the piston drive...it's pretty much an AR...using the same recoil spring and buffer system and such...it even has the same foward assist !



...some thoughts and pics of the HK 416 and comments on the DI AR conversions...

... http://www.sigarms556.com/viewtopic.php?t=6930&start=20
.

Whether gas inpingement or piston drive the power hits the same point on the bolt. You can see that on this picture.

The Ruger SR556 is no trying to be anything but a tricked out AR.
They say so.
Go to the Ruger sight and look at their movies.
They answere just about any question that might be asked.
I believe thir explanations and their sales points.

I have one and like it, second only to my SCAR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
.

tombirdman said:
[Whether gas inpingement or piston drive the power hits the same point on the bolt. You can see that on this picture.

The Ruger SR556 is no trying to be anything but a tricked out AR.
They say so.
Go to the Ruger sight and look at their movies.
They answere just about any question that might be asked.
I believe thir explanations and their sales points.

I have one and like it, second only to my SCAR.

I have to disagree as the power impulse from the direct gas system imparts it's power inside the bolt carrier as opposed to the piston system which strikes a half inch above the center axis of the bore. This is what causes the carrier tilt and accelerated wear on the upper receiver rails of the piston AR's.
I have shot the SR556 and it is very heavy and has a much stronger recoil impulse then the SIG 556 and I think it is a poor copy of Colts design like all the other pieces parts AR copies. All these companies make a copy of the design but none of them use the advanced light weight metals that Colt uses and allows it to be much lighter and equal in strength.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top