SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's new mod is the installation of Magpul's MOE trigger guard. Following is a report:

Tools Needed:
* Bench vice with lower receiver block or other gun vice
* 1/8 roll pin punch and holder
* Small ball peen hammer
* 1/8 drill bit and power drill
* Loctite thread locker (blue)

Additional Parts Needed:
* None

Before beginning, please note that the MOE guard will only fit the ER version of the 556 and specifically will not fit a Classic lower.

The install was quick and uncomplicated since I didn't need any additional parts, perhaps 10 minutes. That said, this mod is not for the faint of heart as you will need to open up the front pin hole to 1/8 inch to install the MOE guard. Be very confident with taking a drill to your lower or take it to a armorer.

For me this is a 5 star product since I hunt with my 556. It can get very cold down here in Texas in mid-winter, which thank God doesn't last long, and requires that you drop the stock 556 trigger guard if you wearing thicker gloves. I tested with my heaviest Thinsulate gloves and it works like a charm!

Also, check the new Swiss forearm guards from Top Gun Supply that arrived yesterday. No holes in the side or weird plastic like on my 522. My next mod will be to clean-up the slop and add an aluminum rail to attach the Magpul AFG.

Best,
=Mark=

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Could anyone please enlighten me why this does not work on a Classic?
Is it because the MOE required all this work?: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 5&t=327352

Quote:
"It won't work for Classic version as you've found out. They are shorter in distance, and there's absolutely no way to do it unfortunately. Sig redesigned the area so they can make the Classic receiver compatible with the new 7.62x39 that's coming out.
" Anyone concur?

Update:
Found a guy that did it: "The most difficult mod was installing the Magpul trigger guard in the Classic lower. The Classic trigger guard is shorter than the standard 556 trigger guard. This required shortening and reshaping the Magpul to fit."http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=45&t=319700

I do like the way the MOE's line follows the mag well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The trigger guard attachments are farther apart on the ER style lower than on the classic lower

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a bad habit of posting a question, then doing the research and answering my own question on my OP. But I do it to help others who have the same questions.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just get the Manticore trigger guard that's designed for your rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts