SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took stock off out of curiosity to see if any of my others will fit. How do you get this buffer tube off?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I recently did the same with an SCM. I replaced the A2 stock with an MOE M4-style stock (Magpul Industries). To do this, I used the following items from Midway USA:

1) DPMS Receiver Extension Buffer Tube 5-Position Mil-Spec Diameter AR-15 Carbine Aluminum Matte (Cat. #599404)

2) DPMS Receiver Extension Buffer Tube Lock Ring AR-15 Carbine (Cat. #718153)

3) Noveske Receiver End Plate with Quich Detach Sling Swivel Mount Point Ambidextrous AR-15 Carbine Steel Matte (Cat. #180467)

4) DPMS Buttstock Nut Wrench AR-15 Steel (Cat. #367774)

It's a pretty easy swap, the only real keys are to make sure your replacement stock and the buffer tube match (ie. either mil-spec or commercial-spec diameter) and that your nut wrench and lock ring match. Nut wrenches from different companies do not necessarily work well with lock rings from a different company. Also, I used that particular end plate so I could run a single point sling swivel attachement, but there are many different types of end plates from which to choose. Good luck!

BTW: to get the buffer tube off, just unscrew it. It has a nut-like extension on the outside end that you can put a wrench to if it's too tight to remove by hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but didn't want to force it... its almost like its got loctite on it. I really cranked on that and marked the end of the tube where the wrench goes.... doesn't bother me since i'm replacing it.

so basically just crank it off like a normal ar?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gstaylorg said:
Yep, but FWIW, mine came off relatively easily, with only minor pressure on the wrench.

I'll try it again.. I was actually affraid to bust the nut off the end of the tube its on there so tight.

I'm thinking of just replacing it with a skeleton stock from gander mountain. They don't come with the buffer tubes so i'm thinking this one will be a perfect rifle for it. Will it fit? Is the buffer tube on this the same as the AR style rifles? All my other buffer tubes are 6 position. I need the straight style like the sig has stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I got it off... it was on there tight. Do you know if this is a mil spec buffer tube?

thanks guys... this is a great site

·
Registered
196 Posts
I honestly don't know whether that SCM A2 buffer tube is mil spec or not. I'd guess yes, but I'm not sure. The thread for the receiver doesn't change, but the tube diameter where the stock fits over does, so it's important to get the right diameter. Could you just take that tube with you to Gander Mountain? I'll try to check whether my (known) mil spec buffer tube will fit in the A2 hole tonight, but they're very different animals, so that might not work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i'll just take it over there. Gander is across from my store so its like a GIANT candy bar to a kid you know.... And lately they have been having amazing sales on handguns.

Any glock in stock, 499
so I picked up a generation 4, model 22. 40cal and it shoots great.

and they carry a ton of AR accessories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so I got it off... it was on there tight. Do you know if this is a mil spec buffer tube?

thanks guys... this is a great site
What was the secret to getting it off? I am having the same issue. I don't have a table vice and I'm cranking this extremely hard with no success.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts