SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot remove the upper handguard. It seems to be binding on the forward most projection of the upper receiver picatinny rail. Any suggestions?Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can loosen the gas port to remove the hand guard. You can also hit it with a mallet to knock it past the rail.

Or you can get a little file and file down the sides that catch on the rail. I have the same problem with my 522 top guard, and one of these days I'll use a file on it, since I don't feel like hitting it with a hammer. I did speak to Sig about removing it, and filing the guard so you can remove it won't affect your warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
KuroNeko said:
You can loosen the gas port to remove the hand guard. You can also hit it with a mallet to knock it past the rail.
..."loosen the gas port" ??? what in the world does that mean and what does that have to do with the handguards..."hit it with a mallet"...bad idea...that's a good way to break them !...

...if you have one of the earlier model ERs...the picatinny top rail is a little too long in the front...Sig has shortened the rail up front on the later models... as/after you move the handguard rearwards....you can lift the handguard at the rear slightly...when lifting the rear...be careful that you don't apply too much force on the front tab that goes into the gas block...try to "gently" rotate the back of the handguard as you raise one corner over the rail at a time...DO NOT USE FORCE...you may break the tabs...if unsuccessful ... you can remove "a little" plastic from the rear of the handguard where it catches...or you can slightly file down the front corners of the rail...don't force anything...

...if you get frustrated...STOP...before you do anything else...carefully think about what you are doing...and never use force...you don't want to damage the handguards or break them...

·
Registered
156 Posts
ullie said:
[...
..."loosen the gas port" ??? what in the world does that mean and what does that have to do with the handguards..."hit it with a mallet"...bad idea...that's a good way to break them !...

I agree, maybe I'm too tired to be obviously facetious , and should have said gas block, but I have seen those 'remedies' here... Hence why I' suggested filing away the handguard slowly, since Sig has verified to me that will not be a warranty issue if it ever becomes something to address with something else.

All kidding aside, I'm surprised you suggest actually filing the rail itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies, I'm going to use an exacto knife and cut away the flange on the handguard. I did like the "use a bigger hammer" idea, though!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
KuroNeko said:
All kidding aside, I'm surprised you suggest actually filing the rail itself.
...why not...it's a permanent fix...problem solved... :wink:

...i suppose you would cringe seeing me using a blowtorch...hammer and file on an irreplacable NFA weapon... :p

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
chris6424 said:
I did like the "use a bigger hammer" idea, though!

...tell you what chris6424...next time you ask for help...i'll just sit back and let you bang away with that hammer... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
156 Posts
ullie said:
[..
...why not...it's a permanent fix...problem solved... :wink:

...i suppose you would cringe seeing me using a blowtorch...hammer and file on an irreplacable NFA weapon... :p
:lol: I absolutely would!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
handguard fix

Well, I used an exacto blade and trimmed the handguard back until it could be removed easily. I see now that mounting any sort of long optic will be problematic as it will be impossible to remove the upper handguard without removing the optic and then re zeroing. I guess I will stick with an Aimpoint and mount it so it does not interfere with handguard removal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts