Reduced pull weight trigger springs for 55x now available | Page 2 | SIG Sauer 556 Forum

Reduced pull weight trigger springs for 55x now available

Discussion in 'New Products' started by ShootingSight, Sep 24, 2012.

1. cj_shadow

cj_shadow Member

Re: Reduced pull weight trigger springs for 55x now availabl

Art,

A straight parts swap is easy, I want to try the trigger stop.
    I place it directly behind the hex boltface on the trigger plunger.
    Sandpaper I guess is for fine tuning, the plastic inserts.
    safety check....range .... report back, gotcha.

Practice includes practicing safety

2. cj_shadow

cj_shadow Member

I installed both Art's trigger and Scoro's spring kit.
    Only can say "WOW". These guys did it!
    My groups are ridiculously tight, like never before.
    My trigger function is repeatable, smooth and crisp with no overtravel after the break.
    Highly recommend this combo!

3. FWilliams

FWilliams New Member

What is the final trigger pull weight on your 556R?

4. CB3

CB3 New Member

[[/quote]What is the final trigger pull weight on your 556R?[/quote]

I just installed Shooting Sights Hammer/sear kit and Matt's spring kit on my 556R.

Factory setup:

Basically a three stage trigger that was very long, somewhat gritty, with a lot of over-travel and an inconsistent let off. It was also very heavy at 8.5# measured on a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge. I did not like this trigger at all.

After polishing:

I polished all the mating surfaces of the trigger components. This smoothed everything out, made the let off more consistent, and reduced the pull weight to 6.5#. I could live with this, but the three-stage long trigger pull still bothered me.

Parts installation:

Although expensive at $140 + $40, installing the two parts upgrades was worth it to me. The trigger pull weight average for 5 pulls, +/- ~2/10ths oz-- 3 lbs 12 oz. All rearward over-travel after a consistent let off has been eliminated with Matt's spacers on the second stage plunger. This is now a fine two stage trigger. It still has a rather long first stage pull, even after a reset, but it is much easier to manipulate and the break is perfect. This is now an excellent trigger.

I had two concerns after performing the installations:

1. Was this trigger now too light for self defense use? No. It is predictable, reliable and plenty safe. The long first stage take-up provides all the safety necessary beyond my training and brain function. Good triggers contribute to confidence in your gun, and improved accuracy.

2. Would the new spring sets cause light strikes or reduced reliability? No. I fired about 100 rounds yesterday of five different types of ammunition, including some Russian Brown Bear. All fired just fine. I will go out soon with more Russian ammo (Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear) for an even broader reliability test, but I am confident I will not have problems. The hammer sprig is strong enough to do the job.

Here is a target shot indoors from a lousy rest at 25 yards. I put a Hi-Lux 1x4 scope on the rifle for this test, and set the magnification at 4x. My shooting improved as I progressed through the target, but I had a couple of flyers (circled) that were my fault. I did not change the scope for POI/POA. I believe this target also speaks to the capabilities of the ammo. The barrel was not clean, and I did not let it cool between strings other than normal reloading time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
    556Raven likes this.
  5. tmbk2

tmbk2 Member

Any tips on installing.the hammer/spring on the 556r...heavy sucker! AK triggers used to give me fits until I learned to install it the "right" way...the .223 was a piece of cake compared to the 7.62x39. Thanks!

6. fao

fao New Member

Matt's spring set does not include a hammer spring, and you don't have to remove the hammer in order to install the trigger springs. I installed shooting sight's match trigger on my 556R, and yes, the hammer spring makes it difficult to install the hammer. I found that using a punch through the mounting hole for the hammer helped me get it lined up for the roll pin. By the way, the match trigger along with the lighter trigger and second stage springs really make for a great trigger at a reasonable cost. I wish I could find a similar trigger setup for my Scar 16, but the only options are the $400 Geilselle or the $300 Timney. :cry:

7. ShootingSight

ShootingSight Member Supporting Vendor

Interesting comment about the SCAR. I designed a trigger, but never followed up because I figured the SCAR market was too small.

Where do SCAR owners hang out on a forum?

8. tmbk2

tmbk2 Member

I finally got both kits installed in a swiss 550 lower and a new 556r lower....556r was a bear but I believe I have a method of wrestling it in now. Anyway, Art's and Matt's kits are a significant improvement! I can't see any longevity or durability issues. There is nothing "mickey mouse" about them. I hung back and waited to see what others said about them before spending the $ and feel 100% comfortavle recommending them. All the best!

9. fao

fao New Member

Art, the scar form is at http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/. I you do a little digging, you'll see lots of complaints about the heavy Scar trigger and the high cost of the two aftermarket triggers. Some have sent their scars to a fellow named Bill Springfield for adjustment at around $80. Some who have used Bill have had problems with their triggers, and most Scar owners don't trust Bill. The Scar's trigger is crisp and clean, just heavy.

I was at the range today with my Scar and my 556 patrol swat. The 556 has Matt's trigger spring installed, and, after firing the 556, the Scar's trigger was so heavy, I found I really had to concentrate on trigger control. Even with the heavy trigger, the Scar is still much more accurate than my 556 patrol. I can just imagine how much more accurate the Scar would be with a good trigger.

10. stubbicatt

stubbicatt New Member

Just finished the installation of the spring kit. It does reduce the trigger pull, and the little nylon washers are great for establishing over travel stop. The trigger is still kindof mushy, but it is better than it was.

I shall try it out and see if it is a sufficient improvement to go to step 2, the muzzle brake. If it is, and all is well, step 3 will be the new trigger/hammer kit to finish it up.

The reset is still more than I would like it to be for a fast semi automatic trigger, but this is a start.

Thanks Matthias.

11. banshee

banshee Member

I have the spring kit, but I haven't installed it yet. I ordered the trigger kit last week and am waiting so I can do both at the same time.

12. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

I installed both on my 551 and the trigger pull is around 4.5lbs.

CB

13. lordkerward

lordkerward New Member

I have installed my spring kit, it was looking so nice and a little heavier after...
    It added a little weight!...

14. ShootingSight

Am I understanding you? Your trigger spring kit increased the pull weight?

If so, I suspect something is wrong or is binding somewhere.

15. banshee

banshee Member

I finely got around to installing my new trigger kit and spring kit. It was very simple and produced excellent results. Smooth trigger with clean break at 4.5lb

16. CB3

CB3 New Member

UPDATE 556R Trigger kits install

I installed Art's Shooting Sight 556 hammer, hammer spring and sear kit in my 556R (7.62x39) and Matt's trigger spring and adjustment kit. Art has expressed some caution about using the 556 hammer spring to replace the heavier 556R spring. Since I replaced the OEM hammer spring with Art's, I was concerned I might have light strikes. The original spring is very heavy, and it is a known upgrade from the standard 556 (5.56x45) OEM hammer spring.

After installing both sets of parts my trigger pull was 3 lbs. 12 oz (Lyman digital scale) with almost no variation. Wonderful. I took good ammo to the range to test not only function but accuracy. The targets in my post above show good results for both. I was shooting brass cased ammo except for the Brown Bear.

I went back to the indoor range with four different types of Russian ammo: Tula, Silver Bear, Wolf Military Classic, and some old surplus from a tin, all steel cased. I experienced numerous failures to fire. The 556 hammer spring from Art was not strong enough to ignite all the 7.62x39 primers, as he had cautioned.

I emailed and called Art, and he very professionally and graciously said he would make me a 556R hammer with a hammer spring relief channel specifically for the 556R. I put in his new 556R hammer with the original factory spring and now have 100% function with all types of ammo. My trigger pull weight did not change. I am returning his 556 hammer and spring. Great service.

A couple of notes. First, I had sent my 556R back to Sig last September because of light strikes. It is a Generation 1 model (manufactured pre-March '12). While it was back there they applied all the upgrades to make it into a Gen 2 model, including increasing the hammer spring tension to fix the known light strike issue.

However, I don't think I got a new spring. I believe I got a quick fix applied to the original spring. My Sig 556R hammer spring now has a small black plastic spacer that winds the spring tighter around the hammer, giving it more force. It is possible that Sig's more recent 556R's have new springs that do not require the 556R spacer.

Compared to putting Art's 556 hammer spring in my 556R, which was easy, I was at first challenged trying to reinstall the Sig spring. I gave him a call for advice. He said to use my third hand (a padded vice to hold the receiver) and a couple of choice swear words. That was the trick. Along with a phillips head screw driver used as a tempoaray hammer axis pin, the hammer/spring assembly was actually rather easy to push into place. Again, helpful service. (Swear words = @#*"! and $(+&;!! )

Yesterday I shot the same four different Russian loads at a humanoid target at 25 yards, indoors (Cold and snowing here in Utah). Standing offhand I put 108/110 rounds in two fist-sized groups, one all well inside the head, the other on an even smaller part of the target. It was aimed fire, ~ 1 rnd/second.

I am 100% pleased with both parts kits and highly recommend them. Just be sure if you want to upgrade the 556R to let Art know. You won't need his 556 spring, and he makes a special cut on the 556 hammer. The 556R makes no difference for Matt's trigger spring kit.

556Raven likes this.
  17. ShootingSight

Thanks for the feedback, I'm delighted to hear it worked for you.

Art

18. razerface

razerface New Member

i bought the spring kit on ebay. No directions came with it. Where do i get the directions? I emailed the seller on ebay,,,,no help. Apparently i am not the first with this problem?

19. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 New Member

I believe they are posted on here, I think I have seen them.

CB

PM me your e-mail I have them and can e-mail them to you if you wish.

20. tom1263

tom1263 New Member

Well I got both kits and I'm ready to rock! Question for those of you who have already completed.

Did everyone complete and test the shootingsite new hammer/sear install first....and then do the reduced spring install second? Some details would be great before I dive in.

Thanks!

Tom