SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

Which gun wins - SIG 556 or FN SCAR 16S?

• SIG 556

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FN SCAR

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: So, the weather is improving a little, have some days off from the grind to maybe go shooting, which got me to thinking - which rifle would win in a side by side direct comparison between my beloved SIG 556 and my now-equally-beloved FN SCAR? Things that make you go hmmm....

I'm no Carlos Hathcock, but I can more than hold my own, so I was thinking the comparison would be intriguing, and I can guarantee fairness.

Of course, it would be pretty unscientific, but with the same shooter, same day conditions, identical ammo for each with a decent mix of manufacturers and bullet weights, bench rested on Caldwell bags and front rest, similar optics (or could use the same optic, for each unit)....

I have an early model 556 (serial # low 3000s) with Swiss internals, so I would be comfortable it would match the SCAR in build quality (I bought it back in 2007 well before the post-election buying frenzy changed things).

So, whadda y'all (yeah, I'm a wild-eyed Southern boy, by birth) think?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Clyde said:
(I bought it back in 2007 well before the post-election buying frenzy changed things).

So, whadda y'all (yeah, I'm a wild-eyed Southern boy, by birth) think?
You meant pre election. it started as soon as Obama was nominated!

Sig wins for accuracy and field stripping. Ironically, it actually (as of this post date) wins for parts availability!

·
Registered
289 Posts
SCAR vs SIG 556

I have the same vintage 556 as you doSN # js0036xx and a SCAR. I've shot both extensively the last 3+ months. The SIG has a ACOG TA31F on it the SCAR has an EOTech 552. The SCAR seems to be more accurate over a wider range of projos I have tried (52 hpbt, 53 hp, 55 sp, 60 hpbt and 62 FMJ ) Granted I haven't tries the heavier projos yet, When I can get some heavier projos I will try them as well. So the jury is still out.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Clyde, I am going to venture a guess that different ammo will be more accurate in one over the other and when you tally the results one will shoot a variety of ammo more accurately than the other but the other one will shoot tighter groups with one specific ammo. (my bet is scar is more accurate overall, sig shoots tighter groups with one or two different ammos)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I say for 1/3 the price the SIG performs just fine. I don't believe I'll ever have to defend myself against a hamster so accuracy on man sized targets is good enouh for me. If you have the $$$$ for a SCAR, hey go nuts. I am the typical poor, taxed to death citizen so I will only shoot a SCAR in COD Modern Warfare 2.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I would bet that the scar is more accurate but the difference is slight enough to not even matter. As long as each is super reliable and can hit a man-sized target at 300 yards, they're good to go.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Clyde,
I say just do as many tests as you can think of. Record them and post them. I think it would be interesting. Let the facts defend the weapons.

Geardo

·
Registered
350 Posts
They are both good rifles.

Since its a rack carbine IMHO accuracy isn't all that important. If you can constantly put kill shots on human sized targets up to 300 yards its good enough.

I'd be more interested in the subjective stuff. IE how do they feel, how fast can you bring them on target, ergonomics, etc.

Both rifles have passed the solider test, well the real Sig 5XX rifles have. They also have a much longer track record than the SCAR which still is a new and unproven weapon.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is exactly what I was thinking, Geardo - that's the concept! I think any fair-minded person would agree these are both top-notch weapons of choice, and I'd be willing to bet all of us would take them in a heartbeat if the need arises.... I just want to see how they stack up in a comparo.

The "attack hamsters" bit is too funny - I raised more than a few of those critters as a young boy, and I can tell you, when they do bite you (notice I did not say "if"), you will definitely let go of them and you will bleed, fast....

Same ammo, same day, same conditions, same shooter, etc. I think I will use the same optic on each one to keep that part the same. I was just curious to see if there would be sufficient interest in such a "real world" side by side comparison, and there appears to be.... So, I'll go clean the guns real good, grab some gear and the camera, and off to the range to see what happens...!

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Clyde said:
That is exactly what I was thinking, Geardo - that's the concept! I think any fair-minded person would agree these are both top-notch weapons of choice, and I'd be willing to bet all of us would take them in a heartbeat if the need arises....
...well said Clyde...

...and good shooting Sir !!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
SIG 556 vs SCAR

I have to say, for more almost than than twice the price If I could only have one it would be the SIG 556. I find myself shooting that much more often than the SCAR. The trigger pull is light years better than the SCAR. But as I said the SCAR has a slight edge in accuracy so far but not enough to justify the price difference. :roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts