SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two range reports, with no pictures.

Time: 730 PM
Temp 80
Humidity Low
Ammo 55gr Fiocchi FMJ
Ranges 200, 750 yards, as estimated by google earth, and bullet drop.

After killing a number of evil zombified clay pigeons at 200, I decided to do some plinking at the hills that serve as the backstop to the backstop. I chose a small shrub, and took a wild guess as to what my holdover should be. Surprisingly, my guess was dead on and the first shot hit inches to the left of the bush. I thought it might be an anomaly, but I sent about 40 more rounds out to the bush, eventually even switching to a smaller target at the same distance, and every round seemed to be right on target. I'm not sure how big the bushes were, but I would guess no more than 2 feet across, with the smaller being about a foot and a half across.

I took the 750 yard shots on a complete whim, I figured I wouldnt even be able to see where my bullets hit let alone get them on target, but I was pleasantly surprised. I really have to wonder about these little 55gr pills at that distance. I would be amazed if they werent going subsonic and keyholing, but heck, they're still hitting the target, good enough for target practice.

Next week if it isnt windy I will try and shoot some paper targets at that distance, to better see just what the bullets are doing, and take pictures as well. I know some of you may not believe me about the performance of my rifle, but if any of you are in the Salt Lake area, drop me a line, and I'd be happy to let you see for yourself sometime. You pay for your own ammo of couse. Bring video cameras with good zoom if you have them.

This was the farthest I've ever shot, and I'm happy. I will never ever sell my 556.

Also,

.I went shooting in over 100 heat, bright miday sun, it was rough. Anything metal, even stainless, heats up to the point you cant even pick it up just by leaving it in the sun for 15 minutes, so needless to say, it was hard to keep my guns from overheating while firing them.

The 556 fared well. By keeping it in the shade, I was able to keep it cool enough to shoot, but I did notice that after 10 rounds fired in about 20-30 seconds, accuracy started to go downhill noticeably. Oh well, can't expect miracles.

I was pleased to see that even though the sig hasnt been cleaned in about 1000 rounds of brass cased ammo and about 300 rounds of steel cased, it functioned flawlessly in the heat, apart from the lack of accuracy with the overheating.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, scope is an IOR 2.5-10X, on 10X. Like I said, I did this on a whim, and didnt think I'd even be able to see my shots, but I live in Utah, and it is very dry and dusty here, so each shot sent up a very distinct dust plume, which would probably have been visible even with lower magnification.

Like I said, I'm not sure anyone cares, but anyone that doesn't believe me is welcome to tag along. I am not the greatest shooter, some days I do my part and the rifle is right there with me, other days I just can't get my shit together and the rifle is far more accurate than I am, but every time I'm feeling it, the rifle does its part.

I would LOVE a truly expert marksman to put some rounds through it and see what it can really do. I feel fairly confident stating that it will hold 2moa out to 700 yards at least.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's Nice! I'd like to get mine out to someplace with a good distance to see what she'll do. I need to get a range trip planned to the outdoor range before the weather starts turning foul.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today's results arent even worth posting a picture of. I went back out to the same spot, wind was about 8mph, gusting and variable. It rained last night, so figuring out my hold overs was not as easy since I couldnt see a dust plume every shot like I could last time. I used up a bunch of shots just trying to figure out my hold overs, then as soon as it seemed like I had it figured out, the wind changed and I was off again.

When I finally went out to look at the target, I had barely even hit it, which was about 3.5 MOA total. There was a nice tight looking group of furrows in the ground just to the right, but very few rounds actually hit the target.

The good news is that even at 750 yards, the little 55gr bullets are all hitting the target straight and not keyholing at all, which I was surprised at.

I'm realizing that trying to estimate a hold over at this distance with wind is just not very precise at all. I need to learn how to adjust my zero to compensate for bullet drop and wind so I can actually hold my crosshairs on the target, instead of up and to the left 30 feet or so.

There were a few strings of shots fired at bushes before the wind changes that seemed right on target and make me still think that 2MOA is not unreasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts