SIG Sauer 556 Arms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got tired of reading all the range test so decided to do one of my own on a toy I have here.
This is an East German AK-22 select fire trainer.

I found it in a conex box here in sad shape and missing the magazine. After stripping and cleaning a local contact said that if I supplied him with an AK mag he could have a .22 mag made for it. Well a couple of weeks and $50.00 later he showed up with it.
The rifle itself I assume is East German because of the stock with the brown pebble texture. The only markings are on the selector with "C" on full auto and "S" on semi. On the left side of the rear sight base is a K in circle, 1175, a circle with a triangle, and the serial number. All controls are standard AK.
Now before someone jumps up and down and says that it is not an East German but a Swiss copy of a German, Lebanese design I dont care. If you know what it is tell me great I am again only assuming it is East German because of the stock.
Ammo for this testing is 40 grain lead Target .22 ammo made in Bosnia and Herzegovina and states on the box that it gives target accuracy and good performance. This ammo was given to me by the former SF team that was stationed here in case I ever found something to shoot it out of.
Ok now for the specifics of the day.
Weather: Fantastic! One of those days where you forget where you are until the call to prayer starts. Temp 70's, Humidity none to speak of, clear skies, no wind.
Range: 25 meters from bench to target stand. First two groups fired supported from the bench as best I could working around that damn long mag.
Target: Standard playing cards. In this case a 10, 5 and a jack.

Group #1

First seven rounds went slightly right but in a good group. Readjusted POA to the left and fired the last three in a tight group.

Group #2

POA is the center heart, as best as I could see it, Eight rounds in a tight cluster two flyers, I got a little quick on the trigger.

Group #3

This time was away from the bench. This is 100 rounds from offhand, supported offhand, kneeling, prone and rollover prone. This damn little rifle can shoot. POA is still center and I will eventually move the sight over to the left.

Overall the rifle worked very well. Had a couple of FTE when it started getting really dirty. The advantage to this rifle is if a casing gets stuck in an out of the way place or you want to lube it up again pop the top cover and there are all the internals.
I do not clean the barrels of my .22's everytime I shoot them. I allow them to lead themselves up a bit. The action is cleaned but I will shoot 200-400 rounds before I scrub the barrel this just depends on conditions, type of ammo and so on because I know that once the barrel is cleaned will have to fire a few rounds to lead it up again before I get back to that same POA/POI that I had before.
Well hope you enjoyed the report. If anyone does know what this thing is or has seen one let me know.
Take care. Out from the sandbox.

·
Registered
263 Posts
"This damn little rifle can shoot"?

Looks like the guy pulling the trigger can, for sure.

Tacman605, I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Thanks for being over there in the sandbox, and I am glad to hear some days are decent from a weather standpoint. And it looks like you get to have some fun!

Then the incessant chanting begins -- worse than an alarm rooster!

One day maybe these dirtwalker tribes will stop killing each other, and we can get the heck out of there for good.

Cover yours, and kick theirs, Tacman!! Based on that Jack, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clyde will do. How you like dem SCARS? Dont have one of those yet waiting to see how they do.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tacman, the SCARs are really amazing rifles. Surprisingly accurate, really well built, easy to maintain, very high quality components, and super-reliable.

You have to have a high tolerance for people walking over at the gun range or gun shop, though -- not a gun for the introvert. You find you have more instant friends than a guy offering to buy everyone a beer at a ball game.... Everyone wants to hold it, oogle it, and look down the sights.

I took one to a gun store I use alot to buy a 5.11 soft case for it -- my favorite buddy working there had another customer doing gun paperwork. I set it down on the counter to check fit on the case, and he comes running over, grabs the gun, swings around, looks through the ACOG out the window and across the parking lot, pauses for a moment to look things over, and sets it back down to go back to the counter to wait on his customer, all without saying a word to me as he moved back across the store -- it was like he was compelled to come pick it up so he could feel it shouldered. We're really good friends, so no biggie the way he acted -- it was actually very funny!

I have to say - if I had to depend on it to survive, especially in a combat or major catastrophe setting, I would be very comfortable it can handle the job.

My true view -- it will be the next assault rifle for our entire military....

If they ever grant you access to one, my advice...run to get in line...! :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Neat little rifle

·
Registered
101 Posts
East German AK 22

Tacman, Cool Find ! Did you notice, if the AK mag, you gave to him, was the same mag he gave back converted ? The reason that I ask, is that I was trying to find a East German Semi Auto AK Training Rifle awhile back. I actually found some new old stock mags on another gun board ! The East German Mags have a Button on the lower side, Push the Button in and you can pull the .22 insert down to the next hole to add magazine capacity, depress it again and this disassembles the mag, spring and follower will come out.
Your picture looks exactly like the mags I have, with the Extension/Takedown button on the side . The East Germans electro penciled the side of the mags with serial numbers matching the gun. If your interested in extra mags, let me know. I never found a Semi-Auto East German AK Training Rifle for sale.
Thanks for Defending Freedom , Good Shooting with that .22 !

·
Registered
37 Posts
You have an MPi-69 trainer with the "extendable"mag. Lucky you!

A few MPi-69 parts-kits made it into the USA, while many of the "magic mags" that made it in were chopped up and used for Romy AKT98/WASR22 rifles until BDM discovered the WASR22 for himself and started making WASR hi-caps.

Have fun and stay safe, Hope you're home soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts