Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sig Quad Rail

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been away from the forum for awhile, but I have been searching the last couple of days for links to the different rail system discussions. It looks like most people are going with the Troy or Samson instead of the Sig Quad Rails. My question is why are the Sig rails bad? Keep in mind that I would not be mounting the EOtech on the Quad Rails anyway. If someone could attach or direct me to a good post discussing the pros and cons, I would greatly appreciate it. I am buying within the next week, so all the help is appreciated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wait til feb especially if you have a classic. troy will be releasing a rail that has the tab on the side for the folding stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think people are choosing Samson or Troy over buying the SIG quad rails because both Samsons and Troys come with a integrated/one piece top rail. I guess the one piece top rail feels more solid but also makes it more of a pain to strip down the gas system?

·
Registered
350 Posts
They add a lot of weight to an already front heavy weapon. Personaly I'd go with the classic Swiss forend with the rails mounted on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
horse808 said:
I think people are choosing Samson or Troy over buying the SIG quad rails because both Samsons and Troys come with a integrated/one piece top rail. I guess the one piece top rail feels more solid but also makes it more of a pain to strip down the gas system?
You do realise if you twist it it slides right out the front of the gas block... :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
hattaresguy said:
They add a lot of weight to an already front heavy weapon. Personaly I'd go with the classic Swiss forend with the rails mounted on it.
Actually, what ^ said. I use the Troy on my P556 SBR and I love it but if I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the swiss forend and added a few rails to it. The 556 is front heavy and adding a rail system like this does add even more weight to the problem.

I use my 556 SBR for Police duty both on patrol and on SWAT and the first thing anybody says when they pick it up is "Man, this thing is heavy". My response has always been "Well, it sounds like you need to work out" 8) Seriously though, it is heavy in the front and all you really need a rail for in the front is for a good light. A set of swiss rails and a 3 to 5" section of rail aught to get you there. It will save you almost a pound too.

On a side note, I also heard all the statements from the guys like, "Thats a cool rifle but I heard they aren't reliable", or "I hear the rails are all canted on those things" or "Those things have way too many quality control issues for me to buy one"... When I first bought it, I also bought a case (1000) of WWB and put all 1000 through it before I would carry it(without cleaning). I put about 200 to 300 rounds a week through it now and I'm sitting at the 2200 round mark. I have NEVER had a malfunction, any weird signs of wear, a catastrophic BOOM, or any other malcontent from the 556. It is every bit as reliable as my MRP and SCAR.

Just sayin :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and the votes. I ended up going with the Sig Quad Rail because I got a new one for $220, which is way cheaper than the other 2. I really like the new rail, especially the look and feel of the metal vs. the plastic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am like many others and plan to change out my quad-rail to a swiss front with the rails added to put on a light and bipod...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
So far we're pretty happy with the fishgills :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the POU of my rifle I don't really need to mount anything on it, maybe a light eventualy but thats it. I don't need a quad rail for that, so why carry it around?

Remember, ounces = pounds =pain.

Unless you just want it because you think it looks cool, which is cool. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have both the stock quad rail and the fish gill
pretty happy with both on my SWAT
(not mounted at the same time) :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
My Classic SWAT has the quad rail integral with the top rail on the receiver. Is this new? I haven't seen any on line like this.

·
Registered
472 Posts
rails

I have the troy battle rail. I was wondering if anyone has tried all of them. Fish gill, Samson, Troy and SIG quadrail.
Since the sig is heavy (compaired to a M4) already I decided that the Troy rail would be good for heavier frontend accurate rapid fire.

If there is someone who has tried all four with the long barrel... post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is an old post, I just found it looking for rails.

The SIG rails sort of clip into the front end of my pistol with some minor pounding and pin alignment. Even with the tight fit, it isn't enough to retain zero with an optic or a laser mounted to the rail (you can move them around with a vertical fore grip, or just rough handling). The Troy rail is very solid, and should be since it clamps to the rail on the receiver, I don't have any experience with the Sampson, but it appear to be the same, just a different flavor.

The draw back with the after market rails is that the rail, and thus sights, are now higher from your cheek weld. If you haven't spent money on BUIS yet, Troy now has short sights to solve that problem. (my wife has this problem with her AR rifle, and I have been looking for something, right now the SIG red dot on her rifle works the best).

I don't think its a one or the other decision as far as SIG or other. The added sight height can be a problem for some. I SBRed my pistol and can fit my Aimpoint on the receiver rail, and don't plan on a laser and its a perfect cheek weld where it is at with AR height flip up sights(with the SIG sights, I would have to lower the stock). I am considering putting the short Troy sights on my AR so I can really put my face on the stock instead of kind of kissing it with my cheek, which is one of the reasons why I am beginning to prefer the SIG over the AR, you can get "into it" instead of just behind it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lucky said:
horse808 said:
You do realise if you twist it it slides right out the front of the gas block... :lol:
the samson you have to remove the rails to get the gas tube out.troy and sig you do not.fish gill guard you would have to remove.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts